Fragmented content for images posted in forums vs gallery

SJ77

On 1/3/2016 at 10:58 PM, Lindy said:

I'm not sure I understand the need for attachments to be duplicated in the Gallery, however

It's about being able to see the "images" in one place, and an attachment is an image, and a Gallery is a viewing app.

If a member is always posting food pics in the forum there should be a place to see all those images. If that user had a Food album in Gallery, and when composing his forum post, clicked: Upload images >> Select an album? >> Food, that would be genius. If no selection, it would go to the generic Apps folder in Gallery. Only those with the Gallery app would see the selector, otherwise the images are stored in the backend app folder as discussed above, and enabled if they ever purchase Gallery.

Essentially attachments are treated as a different animal, but there is no reason they should not be treated the same as Gallery images. And with social media, users expect to see the app images in the Gallery in some sort of way, even if it is simply an Apps album.

Edited by chilihead

21 minutes ago, chilihead said:

It's about being able to see the "images" in one place, and an attachment is an image, and a Gallery is a viewing app.

If a member is always posting food pics in the forum there should be a place to see all those images. If that user had a Food album in Gallery, and when composing his forum post, clicked: Upload images >> Select an album? >> Food, that would be genius. If no selection, it would go to the Apps folder. Only those with the Gallery app would see the selector, otherwise the images are stored in the backend app folder as discussed above, and enabled if they ever purchase Gallery.

Essentially attachments are treated as a different animal, but there is no reason they should not be treated the same as Gallery images. And with social media, users expect to see the app images in the Gallery in some sort of way, even if it is simply an Apps album.

I think you've hit the nail on the head! This is exactly how it should work in my opinion. you're really great with process,  WELL DONE!! 

However, reading into what Lindy had to say, it seems he's concerned about private forums and forums with permissions to only specific groups. He cites "Mental Health". Suppose one of these sites have clients providing sensitive uploads to private forums. (for example a domestic violence site, user submits photos of injury). These users wouldn't want their private domestic violence photos view-able to the entire community on display in the gallery. Do you have a solve for this? Like maybe a check box on upload... "do not show in gallery"? Or maybe images have source forum ID connected such that gallery could respect forum permissions?

Interested in hearing your ideas.

Edited by superj707

Yes, good point. Something like:

Choose files (upload image) >> "Publish images to this post only or to this post and your Gallery"

This is also good to have for one-off memes or funny images you don't need to be in your Gallery.

I think permissions would be too messy, I think it would be best to be user selection. Since I suggested they should not be able to be deleted from the Gallery since they are linked to content, what could happen is, they could remove from view if needed, or "delete" from Gallery but it did not remove it from the content. So you could go through your albums and be like "mmm I don't want that image in my album" (click), gone, but still attached to the content unless I actually go there and remove it.

Great ideas flowing........

Edited by chilihead

I have a forum where that would actually be the case. How about if you could link the uploads of a forum to a particular category or album in the gallery (as a forum setting), so that you can set the appropriate permissions there?

I would like to force the images into the gallery, because I feel that is the appropriate area to have them, so I would disable or hide option to not link the image to the gallery. 

By the way, can't a user set the permissions in its gallery itself?

1 hour ago, Donkerrood said:

By the way, can't a user set the permissions in its gallery itself?

Not really.

1. Can create private albums?
Private albums are albums that only the creator can view  

2. Can create restricted access albums?
Restricted access albums are albums that only the creator and designated users can view

(This is only by member name, not group or Followers. I'm not sure why Followers isn't an option here.)

Neither of those would really work. If an image is in a private album, one might assume it should not show in the content as well. Same with limited.

It would have to adhere to forum/app permissions which I think would get messy. Permissions can change for forums, so have the system move images or change album permissions?

I think the only way is let the user select if they want it in Gallery, this is a verbal permission at the time. You could have it enabled by default to be in Gallery so most users did this, and deselect to not have it in the Gallery. But there are reasons why one may not want it there, and I think a user selection would work great. And they could remove it later as well.

Edited by chilihead

Something to note is, you can go to Gallery, upload an image, return to the forum, compose a post, and select "Insert other media" and select the Gallery image you just uploaded.

So the idea of integration is there, it is just awkward and takes way too many steps to accomplish, and I don't know any site users that do that. So basically what we are suggesting is, make this possible in reverse, and cut down on those steps, and make what is already possible in 5 steps possible in 1 step, from the other apps.

Edited by chilihead

• 4 weeks later...

I was just trying to find an image a user posted in the forums, and was thinking I could look through their attachments and realized this doesn't exist.

light_buld_emoticon.jpg.d1b9dbb879caaf1f

Maybe an easier solution for IPS could be, to allow us to view a member's attachments the same way we view our own.

We have:
My Attachments
So suggestion:
View Attachments (of others, on their profile.)
The same way we view My/Their Activity on a profile.

This would solve many of the hurdles... you don't need Gallery for this to work, and this covers ALL apps. If you upload an image to a Gallery comment, or a blog, or status, forums... that's an attachment.

They could be viewed in a Gallery style with lightbox, but the main change here is we can view others' attachments. :) 

If we do own Gallery, the system could create a dummy album called Attachments that is just a redirect or mirror of the other system.

I'm sure permissions could be worked into this more easily as well, if a user posted to a forum or app category you do not have permission to view, you don't see it. But you are literally viewing their attachments so if they ever remove a post or attachment it removes it, there is no syncing with Gallery issue.

• Management
On 2/17/2016 at 3:43 PM, superj707 said:

I'm surprised this thread isn't under "Internal Review"

This is too large of a scope for a single feature suggestion. I'll be starting a gallery review feedback topic in the client lounge this week and we should include this to formulate a game plan. 

• 3 months later...
On 22 de fevereiro de 2016 at 4:08 AM, Lindy said:

This is too large of a scope for a single feature suggestion. I'll be starting a gallery review feedback topic in the client lounge this week and we should include this to formulate a game plan. 

Yes, great! Totally agreed the gallery images and attachments could be more integrated cross the IPS community. And please, also consider geotagging for images:

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Excellent discussion.  I'd suggest that you don't limit this to just Gallery images, but also to images in Pages.  Those assets should be just as "shareable" and "reusable" as any others -- but they also need to be identified as coming from Pages, with the ability to view ONLY the images in Pages.

See this discussion:

Edited by KentT

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/2/2016 at 9:58 PM, Lindy said:

I completely agree there's room for improvement in cross-interacting with applications across the suite. I think Gallery media should be available throughout the suite and that's something we'd like to work on. I'm not sure I understand the need for attachments to be duplicated in the Gallery, however, so perhaps you could help me better understand your goals. I'm curious why, in the case of a "see you" forum, you wouldn't just use the Gallery app for that... perhaps add a redirect forum or menu item if you're wanting it to be accessible in the forums app. That's really the purpose of the Gallery, so I'd like to understand why you're using the Forums for that purpose and essentially wanting to replicate content... perhaps there's something more we need to do with Gallery? Improve the interaction capabilities (one thing that came up recently is comments in the lightbox, for example), etc. 

I do get the gist of what you're looking for, I'm just trying to understand why so we can step further back and evaluate to best fill the need. 

One of my posters wrote a compelling explanation of why he prefers the image board in IP.Board rather than IP.Gallery after I explicitly recommended he switch over to the gallery in lieu of our community's image boards.  

The major advantage to me is when I want the photos in a certain order.  For example, if there’s a sequence of photos of the model(s) undressing, or of still shots from a video, I like to show them in the proper sequence.  Unfortunately, they’re often not in order in the source, or I’ve obtained the various images from different sources.  It’s much less time consuming for me to use AM’s file-attachment system to put them in proper order than to rename photos in order in my own files.  

In addition, currently only the member who created an album can add photos to it.  (This restriction has both advantages and disadvantages.)  If a member has additional photos, the only alternative is to create a new album, which hardly seems worth the time and effort if only a few — often, only one or two — photos are involved.  Also, because the new album is  a separate set of files from any other albums on the same model, they become separated from each other over time by the default Gallery sorting option of which album has been view the most recently.  Unless members take the additional time to re-sort the albums by title, they have no way of even knowing another album on a particular model even exists.  Maybe in the long run, the system could be modified to provide links among all albums on any model … as long as the same name is used for the model in each case. 

By contrast, in the forums, any member can add photos.  True, any member can post a photo in a comment under an album photo, but other members can’t see those photos unless they scroll down to them; they don’t show up in the thumbnails.  The same goes for comments — a viewer has to scroll down to below the “star rating” to even see if any comments / photos have been posted for that photo.  But the forums, all the comments and additional photos are in one continuous stream.  In general, the forums are generally faster and easier to use than the Galleries.  

For the reasons cited in exquisite, if excruciating, detail above, I think [moving the image boards to the gallery] would be ill-advised.  (Actually, I think it would be an appallingly egregious error, but I’ll stick with the milder “ill-advised” for public consumption.)

Takeaways:

• Queue need drag-and-drop re-order of photos 
  • Albums need to be created faster.
  • Albums need permissions for registered members to upload
  • Albums need batch tagging to relate content to each other
  • Better aggregation and display of comments per album 
Edited by Joel R

I would argue that images uploaded to the forum should also be view-able in the gallery. Each user can have a forum posting album by default.  It can be the same physical file just multiple ways of viewing it.

On 2/16/2016 at 7:29 PM, chilihead said:

Maybe an easier solution for IPS could be, to allow us to view a member's attachments the same way we view our own.

So suggestion:
View Attachments (of others, on their profile.)
The same way we view My/Their Activity on a profile.

This idea is also amazing

Edited by superj707

On 1/2/2016 at 10:58 PM, Lindy said:

I think Gallery media should be available throughout the suite and that's something we'd like to work on.

This a THOUSAND TIMES OVER.

Example, I run a video game forum. I should be able to create the following Gallery categories....

• Box Art
  • Manuals
  • Cartridge/CD Scans
  • Screenshots

Then I should be able to go create an IP Content Database called Video Games, create sub categories for Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis....and then add database fields for......

• Box Art
  • Manuals
  • Cartridge/CD Scans
  • Screenshots

Which then I should have an option to choose "Gallery Media" as a field type and reference those images from within my Databases. It is redundant to ask my members to upload images to the Gallery, and then upload them again into IP Databases as attachments.

P.S. - This also applies to the IP Downloads and their screenshots. On some parts of my site I now have 3 copies of the same image :cry:

P.S.S - Lets also get an IP Downloads field type for the databases, so we can natively call files from our databases. Would be nice to also have a Blog Database field for calling blog entries. If my members are writing their own blog reviews of games, they should be able to have those show up on the database records as well.

Edited by Phillyman

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I recently worked With drupal cms and in there there was a very very useful image management button. in there, you have one image button, where you can upload or using uploaded/existed images in your post.

IPS system actually have all the feature but separated and need to gather in one place.

Idea is gathering this two modal window in one: 1. Create button > Image gallery and  2. Insert other media > Insert existing attachments > Gallery images

something like that:

Capture5555.thumb.jpg.1921b0fa23da769108e2e08d5515f52a.jpg

• 2 years later...

All these years later and this problem has not been addressed at all.

It's very confusing to folks that the images they post to my site are not coalesced in some common repository available on their profile.

All images posted to the forums should land in a gallery album and be available on their profile.

If the REASON this hasn't happened yet is because we want to sell "Gallery" as an optional add on, then make the functionality herein optional too.

Please someone fix this.

Thank you 🙂

Edited by SJ77