Jump to content

Community

Why does embedding YouTube Videos Suck (and what can I do to make it better)???


iacas

Recommended Posts

so it appears my issue is different than you guys.

Rhett responded to my ticket saying it is my hosting company OVH that cant connect with youtube nor vimeo isp

 

edit: NVM i did the same test aswell. i installed phpbb and i could embedd youtube just fine

Edited by maidos
Link to comment
Share on other sites

could any programmer pitch in here please.

So rhett says its my hosting company issue being blacklisted or whatever.

But i created my own html file and embedded youtube and it works just fine. So whats the difference that it doesnt work on ips forum?

 

OH YEAH, i installed youtube plugin ckeditor on my forum with youtube embedding AND that works just fine

 

3RmxHSE.png

Edited by maidos
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, nodle said:

Having basically the same problem. Was working fine on my Xenforo site less than 24hrs ago.

It's something directly to do with IPS script.  I run 2 XenForo sites (actually a 3rd now which is a dev site I'm styling in case I move my forum off of IPS).  I can paste a YouTube link on any of the XenForo sites and save the post and it immediately converts to a valid YouTube video inserted.

On my IPS site, I have to use a new line every time.  The weird thing is.... as it's saving the post, sometimes I can see the video flash,but then it converts to a standard link if I haven't entered a new line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Tracy Perry said:

It's something directly to do with IPS script.  I run 2 XenForo sites (actually a 3rd now which is a dev site I'm styling in case I move my forum off of IPS).  I can paste a YouTube link on any of the XenForo sites and save the post and it immediately converts to a valid YouTube video inserted.

On my IPS site, I have to use a new line every time.  The weird thing is.... as it's saving the post, sometimes I can see the video flash,but then it converts to a standard link if I haven't entered a new line.

@Tracy Perry try installing youtube ckeditor on ips see if that works. this is definetly not hosting issue that ips support is blaming on http://ckeditor.com/addon/youtube

Edited by maidos
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Management

Here's the scoop. 

OVH is a constant source of issues - they seem to, in my opinion, be a haven to pirates and hackers which is why they're blocked from major networks -- including our own, YouTube, etc. 

Embedding in an html file, or even apparently how XF or phpBB do it is not the same as IPS4 does it. IPS4 uses the oembed system which calls out from your server to YouTube vs the client to YouTube. This method ensures that if YouTube changes their embedding, the oembed endpoint will always be up to date. What you're referring to (dumping it in an html file or phpbb) simply embeds a link that is handled solely between the client and youtube. Our way is better for development and ultimately better for you as if YouTube changes something, you're not left hanging. Unfortunately, like other aspects of the software, it relies on good hosting. If your server can't reach YouTube, it's not going to work. Whether we should have a fallback method to accommodate hosting inadequacies is something we're unsure of at this point. 

That said, we are aware of other embedding issues such as a trailing space causing the embed to fail. Those will be resolved. We're also discussing a direct YouTube embed button that wouldn't require you to insert newlines. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Management

Submit a ticket then please. In the case of maidos and OVH, I was speaking to that specific issue. Youtube is unreachable by his server, even outside of IPS4 using nothing more than:

 

$resource = @\fsockopen( 'www.youtube.com', 80, $errno, $errstr, 5 );
if ( $resource === FALSE )
{
        var_dump( $errno, $errstr );
}
else
{
        var_dump( $resource );
}

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do have a ticket open already @Lindy # 933433 but they were also blaming my host. I just switched from Xenforo less then 24hrs earlier and everything was working fine. I would really like to use your software and and am enjoying it except for the Youtube videos not being embedded.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Lindy said:

In the case of maidos and OVH, I was speaking to that specific issue. Youtube is unreachable by his server, even outside of IPS4 using nothing more than:

Then may I make a suggestion.. if you are going to make a blanket statement like that but intend for it to be addressed at one persons issue, either quote their message or tag them in it.  Since I don't have issues with my IP's being blocked (I'm very religious on keeping clean IP's) I was interested in this magic block list that is being used by Google and IPS to prevent traffic from what appears to be entire CIDR's belonging to providers.  You made it appear that OVH/SYS/KimSufi IP ranges were blocked from many places - which is not correct.  Troublesome IP's (and even IP ranges in the case of some "extreme" lists" - which very few use) are what are typically included.  Blocking an entire ASN is not one of the "smartest" things to do.  That's like saying China and Russia CIDR's are blocked because of the number of hackers from there.

 

Also, I noticed you deleted my reply earlier.  No big issue to me, and I honestly expect this one to also go bye-bye.

Edited by T. D. Perry
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Management
2 minutes ago, Tracy Perry said:

Then may I make a suggestion.. if you are going to make a blanket statement like that but intend for it to be addressed at one persons issue, either quote their message or tag them in it.  Since I don't have issues with my IP's being blocked (I'm very religious on keeping clean IP's) I was interested in this magic block list that is being used by Google and IPS to prevent traffic from what appears to be entire CIDR's belonging to providers.  You made it appear that OVH/SYS/KimSufi IP ranges were blocked from many places - which is not correct.  Troublesome IP's (and even IP ranges in the case of some "extreme" lists") are what are typically included.  Blocking an entire ASN is not one of the "smartest" things to do.

 

Also, I noticed you deleted my reply earlier.  No big issue to me, and I honestly expect this one to also go bye-bye.

You double-posted -- but it seems I was a bit too fast and it merged at the same time I deleted. No conspiracy, was just an accident. 

I realize you make a hobby out of being confrontational, but there was no blanket statement intended. That information came from OVH themselves... we constantly get OVH clients unable to reach our or related networks, it turns out it's an upstream block, we work to get the block removed for the client and the next day, a new range is blocked. OVH themselves said they get a lot of WordPress hacks that leads to outbound spam and attacks that gets them blacklisted. If you want to know the source of the "magic blacklist" - ask them. 

Have a nightcap, relax and loosen up a bit. Seriously.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Lindy said:

we constantly get OVH clients unable to reach our or related networks, it turns out it's an upstream block, we work to get the block removed for the client and the next day, a new range is blocked. OVH themselves said they get a lot of WordPress hacks that leads to outbound spam and attacks that gets them blacklisted. If you want to know the source of the "magic blacklist" - ask them. 

Most likely on their VPS selections (because those are frequently abused due to the price point) - but that goes for any "cheap" VPS provider.
And most providers use a pretty much standard set of blocklists using RBL's (Spamhaus, etc).  They don't typically willy-nilly block entire CIDR ranges (which is what your statement led me to believe).  You just confirmed that it is the "troublesome IP's" and not CIDR's that get blocked.

30 minutes ago, Lindy said:

I realize you make a hobby out of being confrontational, but there was no blanket statement intended. That information came from OVH themselves... we constantly get OVH clients unable to reach our or related networks

And no, I don't make a "habit" out of being confrontational, but if one makes a global statement that "OVH is a constant source of issues - they seem to, in my opinion, be a haven to pirates and hackers which is why they're blocked from major networks -- including our own, YouTube, etc.", you are stating that OVH is being blocked - which is not factual.  There are specific IP's from them (and from many other hosting providers) that suffer that effect.  From what it appeared that you were trying to push off the fact that it was simply because they used OVH (and I guess, by logical progression not your cloud hosted services) that is the reason it doesn't work.
I just hate seeing stuff that makes people think that it's a issue for all servers utilizing a particular provider (in this case OVH).


Am now curios.. since this is a, according to @nodle's ticket response a hosting issue - do those sites hosted on your cloud provider suffer the same issue?

 

30 minutes ago, Lindy said:

Have a nightcap, relax and loosen up a bit. Seriously.

I do have a headache.. but it's not from IPS. ;)
And my chuck roast is still in the dutch oven cooking - still isn't fork cutting tender yet but the smell is permeating the house and I'm STARVING!

 

Edited by T. D. Perry
Link to comment
Share on other sites

well doing curl works fine for me too, is this still an ovh issue lindy?

ovh network admin contacted me and said my server ip can access youtube witout any issue and my ip is not on any blacklist from any organisation.

$ curl -I -L https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTbZWVge_jw
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 02:49:00 GMT
Server: gwiseguy/2.0
Cache-Control: no-cache
P3P: CP="This is not a P3P policy! See http://support.google.com/accounts/answer/151657?hl=en for more info."
Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
X-XSS-Protection: 1; mode=block; report=https://www.google.com/appserve/security-bugs/log/youtube
X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff
X-Frame-Options: SAMEORIGIN
Expires: Tue, 27 Apr 1971 19:44:06 EST
Set-Cookie: VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE=kJBmRZ2Qv_I; path=/; domain=.youtube.com; expires=Tue, 19-Jul-2016 14:41:59 GMT; httponly
Set-Cookie: YSC=Fc_388LQFvI; path=/; domain=.youtube.com; httponly
Alternate-Protocol: 443:quic,p=1
Alt-Svc: quic=":443"; p="1"; ma=604800
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Accept-Ranges: none
Vary: Accept-Encoding

Edited by maidos
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was posting YouTube videos on my demo local site and they weren't showing up - they were just links... it was killing me.  Then I realized that I had to hit return after I posted the link and then they appeared.  In version 3 I would put the YT link and the video wouldn't show up until I saved the post.  The new version is a little different.

Edited by Bluto
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I too have noticed this issue.

The weird thing is.... as it's saving the post, sometimes I can see the video flash,but then it converts to a standard link if I haven't entered a new line. 

This is what happens however, if I press enter to make a new line, paste the link and then enter again the video then shows up ready for posting. Is this how it should be as it makes sense if it is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Upgraded my cURL, not longer getting the notification in the System Check page... and still can't get Youtube videos to be embedded... everything else works just fine, even facebook posts.

 

Edited by -FP
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Management
7 minutes ago, -FP said:

Upgraded my cURL, not longer getting the notification in the System Check page... and still can't get Youtube videos to be embedded... everything else works just fine, even facebook posts.

 

If you haven't already, please open up a ticket - we're getting a few of these reports and would like to investigate each one. 

As an aside, we're going to test different embed behavior here soon for further feedback.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

<?php
function nxs_cURLTest($url, $msg, $testText){  
  $ch = curl_init(); 
  curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_URL, $url); 
  curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_USERAGENT, "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0)"); 
  curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, 1); 
  curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_TIMEOUT, 10); 
  curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_CONNECTTIMEOUT, 10);
  $response = curl_exec($ch); 
  $errmsg = curl_error($ch); 
  $cInfo = curl_getinfo($ch); 
  curl_close($ch); 
  echo "Testing ... ".$url." - ".$cInfo['url']."<br />";
  if (stripos($response, $testText)!==false) 
    echo "....".$msg." - OK<br />"; 
  else 
  { 
    echo "....<b style='color:red;'>".$msg." - Problem</b><br /><pre>"; 
    print_r($errmsg); 
    print_r($cInfo); 
    print_r(htmlentities($response)); 
    echo "</pre>There is a problem with cURL. You need to contact your server admin or hosting provider.";
  }
}

 nxs_cURLTest("http://www.google.com/intl/en/contact/", "HTTP to Google", "Mountain View, CA");
 nxs_cURLTest("https://www.google.com/intl/en/contact/", "HTTPS to Google", "Mountain View, CA");
 nxs_cURLTest("https://www.facebook.com/", "HTTPS to Facebook", 'id="facebook"');
 nxs_cURLTest("https://www.linkedin.com/", "HTTPS to LinkedIn", 'link rel="canonical" href="https://www.linkedin.com/"');
 nxs_cURLTest("https://twitter.com/", "HTTPS to Twitter", 'link rel="canonical" href="https://twitter.com/"');
 nxs_cURLTest("http://pinterest.com/", "HTTPS to Pinterest", 'content="Pinterest"');
 nxs_cURLTest("https://tumblr.com/", "HTTPS to Tumblr", 'content="Tumblr"');
nxs_cURLTest("https://www.yoube.com/", "HTTPS to Youtube", 'content="Youtube"');
?>

Try this script. Test your curl.

Edited by Paul.F
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Paul.F said:

<?php
function nxs_cURLTest($url, $msg, $testText){  
  $ch = curl_init(); 
  curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_URL, $url); 
  curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_USERAGENT, "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0)"); 
  curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, 1); 
  curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_TIMEOUT, 10); 
  curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_CONNECTTIMEOUT, 10);
  $response = curl_exec($ch); 
  $errmsg = curl_error($ch); 
  $cInfo = curl_getinfo($ch); 
  curl_close($ch); 
  echo "Testing ... ".$url." - ".$cInfo['url']."<br />";
  if (stripos($response, $testText)!==false) 
    echo "....".$msg." - OK<br />"; 
  else 
  { 
    echo "....<b style='color:red;'>".$msg." - Problem</b><br /><pre>"; 
    print_r($errmsg); 
    print_r($cInfo); 
    print_r(htmlentities($response)); 
    echo "</pre>There is a problem with cURL. You need to contact your server admin or hosting provider.";
  }
}

 nxs_cURLTest("http://www.google.com/intl/en/contact/", "HTTP to Google", "Mountain View, CA");
 nxs_cURLTest("https://www.google.com/intl/en/contact/", "HTTPS to Google", "Mountain View, CA");
 nxs_cURLTest("https://www.facebook.com/", "HTTPS to Facebook", 'id="facebook"');
 nxs_cURLTest("https://www.linkedin.com/", "HTTPS to LinkedIn", 'link rel="canonical" href="https://www.linkedin.com/"');
 nxs_cURLTest("https://twitter.com/", "HTTPS to Twitter", 'link rel="canonical" href="https://twitter.com/"');
 nxs_cURLTest("http://pinterest.com/", "HTTPS to Pinterest", 'content="Pinterest"');
 nxs_cURLTest("https://tumblr.com/", "HTTPS to Tumblr", 'content="Tumblr"');
nxs_cURLTest("https://www.yoube.com/", "HTTPS to Youtube", 'content="Youtube"');
?>

Try this script.

It says "Problem" for Twitter, Pinterest, Tumblr and Youtube.

I can embed stuff for all these just fine. Only Youtube not working.

Edited by -FP
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It keeps telling there's a problem with these 4, I don't get it, embedding Twitter stuff works just fine.

I'm executing the script from my site, which has IP X. But I noticed the cURL command is being executed from the main VPS IP, which is different. Does that make any difference?

For Youtube is even being executed from the v6 IP... everything else from the v4 one.

But yeah, Youtube seems to be mad about something: 

Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network. Please try your request again later.

This page appears when Google automatically detects requests coming from your computer network which appear to be in violation of the <a href="//www.google.com/policies/terms/">Terms of Service</a>.

The block will expire shortly after those requests stop.<br><br>This traffic may have been sent by malicious software, a browser plug-in, or a script that sends automated requests. If you share your network connection, ask your administrator for help &mdash; a different computer using the same IP address may be responsible. <a href="//support.google.com/websearch/answer/86640">

Edited by -FP
Link to comment
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We use technologies, such as cookies, to customise content and advertising, to provide social media features and to analyse traffic to the site. We also share information about your use of our site with our trusted social media, advertising and analytics partners. See more about cookies and our Privacy Policy