Why does embedding YouTube Videos Suck (and what can I do to make it better)???

iacas

3 minutes ago, Lindy said:

-FP, I took the liberty of looking... it appears you're hosted by OVH. Please see earlier in the topic. 

I see... but I've used the servers command line to perform a curl to several youtube videos and the response was HTTP/1.1 200 OK.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Management
1 minute ago, -FP said:

I see... but I've used the servers command line to perform a curl to several youtube videos and the response was HTTP/1.1 200 OK.

That just means that you got a response - that has no bearing on whether or not the response will include the youtube video you requested. As you noted, the text from the output indicates Youtube is refusing to stream the videos to your server as you're blocked. You may wish to put in a support request to your host to see if they can get the block lifted. From experience, there's likely malicious activity on your network segment and youtube has blocked it to protect the integrity of their service. 

i tried this

<?php
 $ch = curl_init();
 curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_URL, 'http://www.youtube.com');
 curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, 1);
 $contents = curl_exec ($ch);
 echo $contents;
 curl_close ($ch);
?>

and the msg resulted

"Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network. Please try your request again later. Why did this happen?
"

can you pm me your ovh client id so we both can reference each other when we contact the support?

Interesting...so I have been waiting on 4.X and am now starting to think about upgrading. Soooo, I come over here and do a test post and copy and past a YouTube URL and guess what...it just posts it as a link.  I did see a FLASH of the screen posting and then it went to a link. I actually posted another post on this in the other forum before seeing this thread.

So, if this software is the latest and I came here without bias and it didn't post right then you bet dollars to donuts my users are going to have issues.  It obviously is NOT robust!

2 minutes ago, jucs said:

Interesting...so I have been waiting on 4.X and am now starting to think about upgrading. Soooo, I come over here and do a test post and copy and past a YouTube URL and guess what...it just posts it as a link.  I did see a FLASH of the screen posting and then it went to a link. I actually posted another post on this in the other forum before seeing this thread.

So, if this software is the latest and I came here without bias and it didn't post right then you bet dollars to donuts my users are going to have issues.  It obviously is NOT robust!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpv1jZSvqIQ

Did it again. It flashed the video for a second and then turned it into just a link.

Test https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpv1jZSvqIQ

If it's on the same line as text it does not parse. Is this intentional?

If it's on its own line it seems to parse, at least after pressing Enter first.

This next one was pasted, without pressing enter, and instantly submitted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpv1jZSvqIQ

It appeared to parse the last one momentarily, I saw the "flash" of the video, but the saved post contains just the link.

This "flashing effect" also impacts images and emotes.

We ran a script 50 times that requested a YouTube URL via three different methods. These are the number of successful requests.

Python 50 / 50
CURL 50 / 50
PHP 26 / 50

It's not a server- or network-related issue. Often it appears to be a PHP issue of some kind.

Regarding the above.

I pasted and clicked submit.

Momentarily, I could see the embed in the editor window but when the post had submitted, it was just the URL.

42 minutes ago, Lindy said:

For those that can't embed here - could you please describe your environment? OS, browser, are you using adblocking software, etc?

OS - Windows 10 x64
Browser - Google Chrome
Ad-blocker - Adblock is installed

Same thing happens in Edge though.

2 hours ago, Lindy said:

For those that can't embed here - could you please describe your environment? OS, browser, are you using adblocking software, etc?

It's not so much that I couldn't embed - it's that embedding only worked in certain situations.

The YouTube link had to be on it's own line and I had to press Enter immediately after pasting the YouTube link for it to be parsed. If neither requirement was satisfied (e.g. it was not on its own line and/or Enter was not pressed, it did not parse.)

• Windows 10 with latest updates installed
  • Firefox, with Adblock installed
  • Chrome, no Adblock installed
  • Vivaldi, no Adblock installed

On 18/11/2015, 23:45:20, Lindy said:

OVH is a constant source of issues - they seem to, in my opinion, be a haven to pirates and hackers which is why they're blocked from major networks -- including our own, YouTube, etc. 

I have seen their ip ranges attacking our site so many times now I have blocked most of their ranges. They seem to host anyone.

• Management
2 hours ago, Evil Edwina said:

It's not so much that I couldn't embed - it's that embedding only worked in certain situations.

The YouTube link had to be on it's own line and I had to press Enter immediately after pasting the YouTube link for it to be parsed. If neither requirement was satisfied (e.g. it was not on its own line and/or Enter was not pressed, it did not parse.)

• Windows 10 with latest updates installed
  • Firefox, with Adblock installed
  • Chrome, no Adblock installed
  • Vivaldi, no Adblock installed

That's actually working as intended, but it's apparent it's generating a lot of confusion, so we are revisiting it. Sorry for the confusion. 

I've been invited to add my voice to the frustration here. 

We can watch the video embed for about half-a-second as the post is being created, but in the end, it's just a link in the actual post and not embedded. 

Update: We read through the thread here and noticed that when we add a 'Return' (hit enter) after posting the link, it posts a lot more reliably. Previously, users would simply paste the link and post; and not need to hit 'Enter' after pasting the link to embed. It seems that hitting enter, then watching it embed before hitting post, is more reliable for us so far. 

I find it works much better now Lindy... it embeds instantly no matter what is on the line... flawlessly so far... have not had an error.

A few questions.

• I can't "paste as plain text" as it always pastes the hyperlink and embeds. Should it be able to post as text and not link or embed? I did try using the link icon to link it instead of embedding and that works great, just wondering about text as some may need the ability to post a link that is not active.
  • Embedding a post works the same (fast and embeds no matter what is on the line) but I was getting used to using the links as part of sentences and that stopped the embedding and now it embeds. Do you think embeds should still work if text is on the line? I guess it may just take getting used to now, and again, use the link icon for the hyperlink when needed. Probably better this new way.
  • When you embed a post it adds a double space after it, which, if the embed is the last thing posted, adds wasted space to the post unless you use backspace.
  • This doesn't happen when you post a YT video but you can't click below it at all to start to type. So maybe some happy medium between the two, only add the lines when you click, or allow the ability to click to the right of the embed (video in this case) and hit enter for a new line (which currently doesn't work).

But great improvements, thanks!

• Management
1 hour ago, chilihead said:

I find it works much better now Lindy... it embeds instantly no matter what is on the line... flawlessly so far... have not had an error.

A few questions.

• I can't "paste as plain text" as it always pastes the hyperlink and embeds. Should it be able to post as text and not link or embed? I did try using the link icon to link it instead of embedding and that works great, just wondering about text as some may need the ability to post a link that is not active.
  • Embedding a post works the same (fast and embeds no matter what is on the line) but I was getting used to using the links as part of sentences and that stopped the embedding and now it embeds. Do you think embeds should still work if text is on the line? I guess it may just take getting used to now, and again, use the link icon for the hyperlink when needed. Probably better this new way.
  • When you embed a post it adds a double space after it, which, if the embed is the last thing posted, adds wasted space to the post unless you use backspace.
  • This doesn't happen when you post a YT video but you can't click below it at all to start to type. So maybe some happy medium between the two, only add the lines when you click, or allow the ability to click to the right of the embed (video in this case) and hit enter for a new line (which currently doesn't work).

But great improvements, thanks!

We can address specific feedback after we've concluded whether to keep this or not. Currently, it's just a test so we can garner further feedback on the functionality. I can say the more you try to predict people's intentions, such as embedding if text is on the same line, the more buggier something will be. I personally feel if you paste a link, it should embed. If that's not your intention, the link function could be used. 

21 minutes ago, xtech said:

I was testing the videos here. they seem to embed instantly, but the width  should be set to 100%.

It's a setting. You can set it to whatever you want on your own community.

Posting_2015-11-29_00-45-20.png

i also support the new feature that embed right away

ive also posted few more youtube links on test forum

when i submit videos it does embed but when i remove the video and copy paste again it sometimes fail to embed, 

another thing this may be intentional but if i copy paste a url that got url tag and font tag it wont embed 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWndMEJx4ww

Archived