Why does embedding YouTube Videos Suck (and what can I do to make it better)???

iacas

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For a WYSIWYG interface, this feature is critical.

Good work on getting something up so quick @Lindy 

To be picky, is the line space under the embed necessary?

I would prefer the cursor to go to the right of the embed after embedding. That is maybe just me being picky though.

Edit:
Is it me, or is there a bigger gap between my first and second paragraph compared to the gap between second and third?

On 11/29/2015, 2:11:58, Gimpymoo said:

To be picky, is the line space under the embed necessary?

I would prefer the cursor to go to the right of the embed after embedding.

Agree, I don't want any extra spaces. When you insert an image it is to the right. Like that would be good.

On 11/29/2015, 2:11:58, Gimpymoo said:

Is it me, or is there a bigger gap between my first and second paragraph compared to the gap between second and third?

Looks like the culprit:

ips_padding.png.16971436189fec3ba5457f0e

On 11/18/2015, 5:39:27, maidos said:

x y z

@maidos Wait, is the video bug fixed in 4.1.4.1? Or do we have to do the fix with CKEditor ourselves? 

@Lindy  why is the last post content still in my wysiwyg and when I try to delete it, I can't? 

Windows 10 up to date, latest Google Chrome. 

Odd, now it's clear.... 

well my initial assumption was that it was script issue but turns out it was my host network that got blacklisted by youtube. So my issue is different than other people here.

at that time i had ckeditor plugin as an alternative for embedding when the ips internal embedding wasnt working.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2015 at 0:50 AM, Lindy said:

We can address specific feedback after we've concluded whether to keep this or not. Currently, it's just a test so we can garner further feedback on the functionality. I can say the more you try to predict people's intentions, such as embedding if text is on the same line, the more buggier something will be. I personally feel if you paste a link, it should embed. If that's not your intention, the link function could be used. 

It's a setting. You can set it to whatever you want on your own community.

Posting_2015-11-29_00-45-20.png

Looks like we press Enter again. Were there any changes? Seemed it was headed in the right direction.

• Management

It just got overwritten in an update. I believe we're going to press forward with how it was demonstrated here, there was just question on whether it should embed mid-sentence or require a new line. Some preferred one way or another.

Pros and cons both ways tough one. ;)

I like the way it was working but could also see the use of a url when putting in a sentence, but then of course you could use the url button. Probably the best solution is always embed, since so many people wonder how it is done. It was foolproof. The more intuitive the better. If they don't want it to embed, new line or not, url button. Also intuitive. Just my opinion.

Not sure if this will help anyone figure out what it is doing, but here is what worked every time on mine using Google Chrome or Firefox

1. Copy either the url link from the browser or the share link for the video
  2. Paste the link in the post.
  3. Hit Return/Enter (video displays at this point)
  4. Click the submit button.

If I paste and just click the submit button it leaves it as a link. So if I want just a url in a sentence I paste it in the sentence and it never converts just like it should for a sentence.

Someone try my steps and see if it works, I'm curious or maybe it is just my site that does it that way.

7 hours ago, Windwalker222 said:

Someone try my steps and see if it works, I'm curious or maybe it is just my site that does it that way.

I think the point was that process was not intuitive (which is the way it works on IPS by default I believe).  Having to hit enter for a new line and then wait for the video to display was "as designed" but most that responded apparently believe it's a poor design (and I have to agree).

Duh, that's my bad. I tried to follow what was being said but got lost in the talk of having to submit several just to get one to take. Weird thing is it has never ever happened automagically on my forum just pasting the link. , it remained a link until you previewed or submitted. At some points during the last year it would stop working unless you used tags around it yet I had not added or removed any mods. Then it started working again on it's own. 

Thanks for getting me on the right track Tracy I was lost there for a bit. :cry:

So.. I'm having a unique issue with RSS feeds.  I use an RSS from PlanetDestiny.com.  They hand out FULL articles in their RSS feeds with youtube videos.  The problem I'm running into is when the feed comes in, it doesn't seem responsive at all.  It looks bad on mobiles.  I can post my own youtube video and it's responsive, causes no issues but with RSS feeds it is a problem.  Is there anything I can do to fix that?

@Lindy there still is a problem with YouTube on this website. Users very often get video URL from the context menu:

5683746ee8777_MylneFarmerSting-StolenCar

and paste it into the Editor. In this case the URL has formatting and video can not be embedded.

Needless to say that the majority of users ignore "remove formatting" proposal. Anyway, even if user click on "remove formatting", after that he needs to click Enter to make video embedded.

• Management

That seems like a problem with Youtube. It uses the goofy black background format in Chrome and Safari (on Mac) but not Firefox - I would say that's either a browser quirk or a bug with YouTube (I've reported it to them.) 

As far as pasting it -- it's actually doing what it's supposed to. It's not a URL at all - it's formatted text. I've talked to the developers and short of adding something specifically to look for this, there's not much we can do. We're hesitant to add provisions for someone else's bug in our parser routine which could potentially introduce our own bugs in said parser routine. :)

Fortunately, I think most either copy the URL from the address bar or the proper share link -- which of course works fine. 

Archived