Is IPS4 really any good?

JustinWh

I started building my new site a couple months ago using 3.4.7 but put launching it on hold to wait for the final stable version of 4.0. It seems it is there now or close to but a lot of stuff I'm reading on here indicates to me that it is still pretty buggy and has cut out lots of great features that 3.4.7 had. So I'm on the fence here. Do I continue using 3.4.7 which I assume won't be supported much longer or go with 4.0 and hope for the best.

So I guess my question is to people have used both 3.4.7 and 4.0, is it better to just go with 3.4.7 or make the leap to 4.0, or just wait? I'm not in any hurry to launch my site.

Thanks.

I would honestly like to know this as well, I have had an active license since May 2013 and IPB 3.x has been fantastic. I'm a little iffy on upgrading to 4.0 when it releases...is there a general feedback that I haven't seen yet? Yay, nay?

my own experience has been great thus far with ipb4. I can't speak for the other parts of the suite as I don't use them. I strongly advise you if you can get the betas and try it yourself.

unfortunately, a lot of things sometimes get blown out of proportion and what not and it is easy to miss out on the good unless you see it for yourself. :)

I work on a forum as an Administrator with some friends, I'm not a client myself. I have not tried administrating IPS4 yet, but only judging what a user can see, I think it will ultimately come down to a matter of preference. However, I am not 100% sure of that as I have not been apart of any testing with IPS4.

I love IPB4, love it! Pages is a lot better than Content was, for sure, that is the biggest difference. I had a bit of burnout syndrome with my board, but since IPB4, I find it fun to post and do things there with all the nice (ajax?) features. And it looks a lot better.

I would enjoy it more if I did not have trouble during upgrade and now some things don't work, so users send like 100 same messages a day. And something called Webmaster tools started sending me emails. Hope that gets fixed.

And still trying to find out how to use BBCode. 

But still love it.

So I guess my question is to people have used both 3.4.7 and 4.0, is it better to just go with 3.4.7 or make the leap to 4.0, or just wait?

I would go with 4.0. The fact alone that it is fully responsive makes it worth it and the only one of the two which is “future-proof”. 

The frustration you hear about missing or changed features applies to sites which ran on 3.4 for a while. The users of these sites might be used to do things a certain way and after the upgrade that’s not possible anymore. But if you start fresh with a 4.0 site, it hardly applies to you. 

IPS4 is young and free.
IPB3 was an old hag.

IPB3.0 on release was also really buggy, people seem to have forgotten all the problems that were had then. IPS4 was built from scratch, it will no doubt go through the same phase.

I started building my new site a couple months ago using 3.4.7 but put launching it on hold to wait for the final stable version of 4.0. It seems it is there now or close to but a lot of stuff I'm reading on here indicates to me that it is still pretty buggy and has cut out lots of great features that 3.4.7 had. So I'm on the fence here. Do I continue using 3.4.7 which I assume won't be supported much longer or go with 4.0 and hope for the best.

So I guess my question is to people have used both 3.4.7 and 4.0, is it better to just go with 3.4.7 or make the leap to 4.0, or just wait? I'm not in any hurry to launch my site.

Thanks.

IPS 4.0 is very good, you should not doubt it. What people are complaining is some missing feature that some of us used in IPB 3.4.

You should upgrade do 4.0. 

• Management

There are always a handful of very loud people with each big, new version that declare it the end of times. Try to filter out that noise :)

Yes there are bugs and yes there are things we still want to add as time goes on but that's true of any software. The vast majority of people really like IPS4 though.

Is it really any good? Yes, if you're starting from scratch.    If you're upgrading an existing site, I would wait a bit longer, particularly if you are using IP.Content.  If you are just using the IP.Board, you might be able to get away with an upgrade now, but you'll lose your custom skins and may not be able to replace them just yet.

What I do is create a duplicate test copy of my existing board on a sub-domain and then run it through the upgrader.  I'll keep on doing that till I get a to a release that works for me.

Is it really any good? Yes, if you're starting from scratch.    If you're upgrading an existing site, I would wait a bit longer, particularly if you are using IP.Content.  If you are just using the IP.Board, you might be able to get away with an upgrade now, but you'll lose your custom skins and may not be able to replace them just yet.

What I do is create a duplicate test copy of my existing board on a sub-domain and then run it through the upgrader.  I'll keep on doing that till I get a to a release that works for me.

In a sub domain you can use the current license or a teste install license?

Archived