Changing domains results in 15 dollar charge?

V@POR

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the change in license requirements in 4.0, doesn't it make the charge irrelevant?

The license needs to be entered for the installation to commence, so where it's actually installed shouldn't worry IPS that much, as you know from the callback where legitimate installations are held.

Why can't it be controlled by the user in the client area?

I understand that's a valid reason in the past but robust measures should be in place now (especially with 4.0.x) that clients should be able to control what domain they use it on and when. The callback takes care of what domain it is registered too, if that doesn't match what is in client area no support and appropriate action taken.

I'm pretty certain that reports can be raised and flags raised on suspicous activity. When I say draconian, the simple fact that we as clients cannot control the domain or even test install directories is draconian.

A fee is very reasonable and is done by MANY companies to curb the dishonestly. Heck even video games charge money for server swaps.

These "dishonest" customers are not an airy excuse either, they are actually quite rampant, I've reported a number, a friend of mine was almost scammed by one... and they turn up on these forums nearly everyday trying to get what they can.

If you ran a software company like this many thousands of customers, you'd do what it takes to curb these problems that effect not just your business, but your REAL customers too.

Maybe someone from customer service should waive this $15.00 and get rid of this topic - it's embarrassing already.

​Whats embarrassing? it's a common practice. The only embarrassed ones should be the people flipping out over not being able to change their domain every 2 seconds for who knows what shady reason.

If you read earlier, IPS has potentially already offered to depending what his reasons are.

When I say draconian, the simple fact that we as clients cannot control the domain or even test install directories is draconian.

I don't, it has changed once in 8 years.

Still doesn't mean that the process for domain change isn't draconian.

Such nonsense. To change the domain is simple as going to Client Area -> Purchases -> [Select license] -> Scroll down to 'Your License' and click Change URL link -> Click the Reset URL button -> Update license in Admin CP. It also resets your test board URL (as far as I know). What is the problem?

Such nonsense. To change the domain is simple as going to Client Area -> Purchases -> [Select license] -> Scroll down to 'Your License' and click Change URL link -> Click the Reset URL button -> Update license in Admin CP. It also resets your test board URL (as far as I know). What is the problem?

​I understand it's simple to change the URL once (in any 6 month period), my understanding is that the test board url has to be changed by IPS and you need to contact them to do this.

My point was a simple one, someone could setup url structure as domain.com/forum and then change mind. They now want it at domain.com (1 change) but upon thinking about things, decide to put it at forum.domain.com (2 changes) $15 charge and ticket raised to arrange change. Client can't proceed with anything until IPS change URL structure.

Solution with IPS 3.4.* - don't put the licence in at point of installation. Risk to IPS and client (if they forget to add licence at a later stage).

Solution with 4.0 - Licence required at install, licence callbacks confirms genuine installation and directory of installation. Only one install allowed and one test install allowed - more than one installtion not possible. System advises at point of 2nd install and entering licence, that an active installation exists (it should then advise to update URL structure and uninstall the first installation before proceeding).

At point of adding 2nd licence and before it proceeds, it checks to see if the previous installation exists by doing a licence callback, if it not longer exists, new installation allowed and directory update it client area automatically by the licence callback.

I don't need to change URL structure and to be honest, I would happily pay the $15 charge if I had to change the URL structure. I believe in supporting a company that is offering a great product and service (8 years a customer although I haven't renewed every 6 months for for about 3 of those years for various reasons).

I do however think, that this process could be improved significantly with V4.0 and the charge would be a thing of the past.

There are other problems, craig.  For instance, some clients with multiple licenses will try to only renew one license, but then use the software (and get support) on both of their installations simply by updating the license structure themselves.  We have seen it all over the years.

In genuine cases where it's just a matter of switching to a subdirectory or subdomain, you can always submit a ticket and request and override.  You never know, if you ask nicely you might just get what you want. :)

I'll bare that in mind :) to be fair I know IPS is very accommodating and I understand clients would chance their luck. I have clients wanting to chance their arm daily with every project we do or withholding final payment because of a handle (which can be thousands of pounds).

So scrub what I said, submit a ticket and the kind folk at IPS will help you out (if you ever need to change a domain, more than once in 6 months).

If you are changing your domain more than once in a 6 month period, you have more things to worry about than a $15 fee. I think it's more than reasonable, your license is to that domain. Should see what my company charges customers for them changing our software to a new server. 

Quick question on this topic

I've just had my legacy license upgraded to the 4.0 Suite license, I want to install it on a test local wamp setup here, but when I put in my license code during installation, it says it's already installed/activated on another domain

Is there no way to setup a test copy of IPS now?

Quick question on this topic

I've just had my legacy license upgraded to the 4.0 Suite license, I want to install it on a test local wamp setup here, but when I put in my license code during installation, it says it's already installed/activated on another domain

Is there no way to setup a test copy of IPS now?

Append "-TESTINSTALL" to your license when installing on localhost.

​Where do you Append that at exactly?

if we're installing a test install on say an actual server(VPS) so we can have it be valid.

Would be nice if such fees were disclosed before people purchase as I think most fees should be. That would help shoo away people that are unsure or are trying things out from buying the software. Asking IPS about the fee will just give the person a no.

I think a couple months would be more reasonable and then maybe six months after the first year of the license.

If you are changing your domain more than once in a 6 month period, you have more things to worry about than a $15 fee. I think it's more than reasonable, your license is to that domain. Should see what my company charges customers for them changing our software to a new server. 

Seriously, why would you do that?

Maybe at the beginning you may have second-second thoughts about your new websites domain name, in which case you can contact IPS and request a fee waiver. Otherwise, if you're changing your domain that frequently, you're doing something wrong, or shady, because there's no sensible reason you should ever be changing your domains that frequently.

I think this topic has been beaten to death by now.

Seriously, why would you do that?

Maybe at the beginning you may have second-second thoughts about your new websites domain name, in which case you can contact IPS and request a fee waiver. Otherwise, if you're changing your domain that frequently, you're doing something wrong, or shady, because there's no sensible reason you should ever be changing your domains that frequently.

I think this topic has been beaten to death by now.

​Did you quote the wrong person or am I missing something? My statement 100% agrees with yours lol.

Archived