Changing domains results in 15 dollar charge?

V@POR

Why do you charge 15 bucks to change domains? You can change domains once per year?

We paid for this software and you tell us when we can change the domain or pay More Money?

I should be able to change MY PAID AND LICENSED SOFTWARE to whatever domain I want for free whenever I feel like it !

:mad: :mad: :mad:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

whoa slow down there.

There is a charge if you want to change your domain more than once every 6 months.

You are permitted to perform this once during the first 30 days after purchase, and then once per 6 months thereafter. Additional requests will require payment of a $15 fee

more info here

It's to stop dishonest clients from "domain hopping" a licence in order to be able to get support on them all, instead of legitimately paying for support on them all.

I for one think it's fair and reasonable.

I used my free domain change recently so it's not like you have to pay outright. Simply, that if you do it too often then a charge is incurred. :)

It's to stop dishonest clients from "domain hopping" a licence in order to be able to get support on them all, instead of legitimately paying for support on them all.

I for one think it's fair and reasonable.

I used my free domain change recently so it's not like you have to pay outright. Simply, that if you do it too often then a charge is incurred. :smile:

The Heff has it right :) Though I'm sure that's not your intention, unfortunately it used to happen all the time. We figure it's very unlikely someone will need to reset their license key more than once in a 6 month period.

You can change your domain twice a year, surely if you are changing it more than that, then something is not right. It rings alarm bells if it keeps changing, but if you havent changed it before its free for you, and then all you have to do is wait another 6months before you can change it again. Very simple and very good practise from IP, to be perfect honest. It extra security for them and gives them as a company piece of mind.

Sounds confusing to me V@por. You get two changes per year, you shouldn't need to change it more than that. Members need a solid domain to visit, how are they supposed to find you if you keep changing the address? Also, see if your domain provider gives domain forwarding. I have a forum, creatingfriends.ipbhost.com, and I purchased creatingfriends.com from my domain provider. I simply activated domain forwarding on my domain purchase so people can use creatingfriends.com and it redirects them to creatingfriends.ipbhost.com. Sounds like a better idea for you :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

I think IPS has an absolute right to charge a fee for its clients changing domain names. They have no way to ascertain if someone is trying to scam them. For the majority of us here, we have had our domain names for an extended period of time. While I think that IPS should establish a policy on domain switching per license, it doesn't belie the point that people are inherrent scammers. Even honest people are scammers, but to a degree. Fact is, I don't have a problem with it because I have had the same domain name for 10 years, I'm sure many more active license holders are in a similar situation. IPS isn't trying to make a profit from charging this fee and I'm sure that V@POR isn't trying to scam, but that fact is, that it's happened before.

I don't have any problems with IPS doing this. Hell, my own webhost charges me a $20 fee to conduct a restore on my site in the event that it goes down. In the several years I've been with my webhost, I've only had to use that service once. But that it's there if I ever need to use it again. If you're switching domain names often, then you might as well let your license lapse. Don't begrudge IPS for charging you the fee for something that was beyond IPS' control in the first place. Remember, YOU made the decision to change domain names, NOT IPS. Worse yet, I'm wondering if you ever contacted IPS Support before you switched domains, because that is something that you should have done first, that way, you might have gotten a better result from IPS over that $15 fee.

IPS Support has always been helpful when I have contacted them for support and I contact them and ask questions before I request any kind of support. Just remember, asking questions is a free service that you never get charged for. :p

Just call it Curb Appeal.

If it curbs those sites from changing their domain and license as in spam, getting blacklisted for unorthodox actions, get caught running warez then curbing these actions with an added fee is appealing to me....

• 3 weeks later...

The Heff has it right :smile: Though I'm sure that's not your intention, unfortunately it used to happen all the time. We figure it's very unlikely someone will need to reset their license key more than once in a 6 month period.

Seriously? People actually have (in the past I assume) changed their domain names around in order to obtain support? Surely you're able to log the changes, so if this happened you could simply decline support based on that reason.

I know other software which allow you to change at your will.

The $15 isn't much but I guess this method cuts out any messing about.

Sure, the changes can be / are logged, but then a tech would need to check the logs for every ticket to see if they are one of the few. Which equates to time spent. Which would impact support times.

You'll find with most everything in life... " The few dictate the policies followed by the many ". Those few people that try to find any way to abuse the system to their benefit dictate the policies that the many must now follow to stop abuse of the system.

We just stuck with same domain anyways....so whatever works I guess.

So you created a complaint thread, when in the end the complaint wasn't necessary anyway. Everybody is entitled to a complaint/give feedback. In this case you probably could have explained your situation to IPS.

• Management

We have to make a blanket policy to prevent abuse. However, if you think you have a good reason to change it again then please let us know via the ticket system. We have waived the fee in the past for exceptional circumstances.

We have to make a blanket policy to prevent abuse. However, if you think you have a good reason to change it again then please let us know via the ticket system. We have waived the fee in the past for exceptional circumstances.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't even need to be an exceptional circumstance, just a good honest one.

Personally, I think IPS operates on a case-by-case basis to determine if the request to waive the fee is a reasonable one.

We do. We're not unreasonable - our goal is to stop people abusing the system, not punish users with legitimate needs.

• 5 months later...

I understand the policy, but surely it would be relatively easy to have IPS send a heartbeat to verify the old domain is dead. I run a World of Tanks gaming community that has changed names three times in four or five months. The install runs on the same Amazon EC2 instance, so surely Invision could make you sign a waiver to allow them to send a heartbeat to an authorization server occasionally for verification. 

I just clicked change url since we our clan left a community we created, so now I am waiting on a support ticket for the change (or clarification). Color me surprised that a few bad people would force Invision to create a Draconian policy that all of the people that play by the rules must suffer through. 

Meh

Archived