My return to IPB

WOFman

So, back in 2009 when you guys rolled out 3.0 and I checked it out I made the decision to go to vBulletin. Well, this year vB rolled out 5.0 and it is so similar to your 3.X product. I checked their out and checked out your new 3.4.2. I am back! I am very impressed with where you guys have come since the initial release of the 3.x series. My members are loving it too. Kudos!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is wrong in vB 5? I've never used vB.

Right now it is beta. It is VERY similar to IPB 3. So here is the thing, do I want to switch to a software that is similar to IPB but full of bugs, or switch back to IPB who has 4 years head start on development? Easy choice! So I am back to IPB and loving it. vB went downhill as soon as they sold the company a few years back to Internet Brands.

We switched due to the inferior support at vB and version 5 being so :rofl:

No doubt! I will say this though, there are great modders in the vB community and most of them give away their stuff unlike here. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of free mods here, just not as many as at vB.

Right now it is beta. It is VERY similar to IPB 3. So here is the thing, do I want to switch to a software that is similar to IPB but full of bugs, or switch back to IPB who has 4 years head start on development? Easy choice! So I am back to IPB and loving it. vB went downhill as soon as they sold the company a few years back to Internet Brands.

Well if they're going to mimick another product, may as well mimick one that is done right. :) I still remember the influx of new clients switching from vB back when vB4 was coming out and was not only a repackaged vB3 but most of the new 'features' were all the bugs. Not to mention that many felt it was just a way to get people to pay for the same product all over again without producing anything new. Ooooh there were so many complaints about that.

No doubt! I will say this though, there are great modders in the vB community and most of them give away their stuff unlike here. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of free mods here, just not as many as at vB.

Just because a lot of moths swarm towards a fire, it doesn't mean that it's a better community. Only thing it proves is that advertising does work and that just about anything can be sold. IPS has proven that even without aggressive advertising, that quality shines through. Security, flexibility and power (not ego power, just control over the product) is why I chose IPB over the other products when I went looking around. Haven't switched away ever since and that was nearly a decade ago. Not to worry because unless vB gets its act together and starts doing things right, it will continue to be a sinking ship and soon the mod developers will abandon it and look else where to show off their talents. I'm certain some of them will move in this direction and that will be good not only for the clients but for other 3rd party developers as well.

The trouble with modding vB with anything other than a couple of mods is that as soon as you have a problem the famous support question answer is

Sorry but you have lots of mods installed and we do not support these - Please go to vb.org

Even though the problem can be a vB problem and nothing to do with a hook - been there many times

Its all dowhill at vB as far as i can see, the version 5 thats on beta 28 or something stupid, the war with xenforo, people jumping ship.....

(Just my opinion)

Having just moved over from vbulletin myself can only agree with the above. Its not the support however, the guys over there who do support are great guys IMO. Its the quality of the product and organisation of the company. That is where this place shines above all else. The improvement in speed on my site is out of this world and the amount of posts on here I see where Lindy has actually said "Oops, yeah ok we missed that I will see it gets sorted" are actually what people want to see.

I moved back on vb 4 ... was disappointed with IPB - editor problems and losing many of my posts ... two years problems with editor and code tags and still problems ... in vb4 works everything fine ..for my needs ... (this is my opinion)!

I ran vB 3 and 4 and 3 was far better, vB4 ACP just sucks big time, IPB is so much easier and quicker, what took me an age on vB 4 takes seconds in IPB

And as for support - no comment

vB5 again have they actually listened ? Last email i had was beta 27 released over 100 bug fixes ?

Go figure...

I moved back on vb 4 ... was disappointed with IPB - editor problems and losing many of my posts ... two years problems with editor and code tags and still problems ... in vb4 works everything fine ..for my needs ... (this is my opinion)!

If vB is what fits your needs, then that's what will work best for you. :smile:

vB5 again have they actually listened ? Lats email i had was beta 27 released over 100 bug fixes ?

IPB 3.0 to 3.4, I think there has been under 20 betas total. That's for 5 different versions for the IPB3 series. So I think 27 for one version is just ridiculous.

Great to read this, lot's of valuable info for me since we're about to switch really soon!

Re vB5 betas - It's kind of scary stuff...

Being a vB4 customer (yet), it's really scary to read the beta news for vB5. "This betaversion version fixes 140 bugs!" Read it, one-hundred-and-forty-bugs! I would not even call that an Alpha version if it was one of my iOS Apps! And they are soon going for Gold. Yet another reason to do the switch back to IPB i think...

BTW: Just had to try out the IP Blog feature here.

You all might find it interesting to follow my "switch or not" here: To switch back to IPB or not...

Re vB5 betas - It's kind of scary stuff...
Being a vB4 customer (yet), it's really scary to read the beta news for vB5. "This betaversion version fixes 140 bugs!" Read it, one-hundred-and-forty-bugs! I would not even call that an Alpha version if it was one of my iOS Apps! And they are soon going for Gold. Yet another reason to do the switch back to IPB i think...

In all fairness, when a beta version of IPB gets released, it's not uncommon for it to have over 100 bugs that get fixed. However, it's usually put through more testing before any betas are released for clients to play with so that reported bugs are usually minor, uncommon or just hadn't been found yet. It's rare for IPB to go over five betas and when going live, yeah, it's not uncommon for a bunch more bugs to be found and reported. Comes down to not really being quantity alone that matters, it's the circumstances of behind it. Over 20 betas for one version? If they are into that many betas with over 100 bugs being fixed per beta, then there's a problem somewhere.

@Wolfie

I'm talking about that there's like 130+ bugs on EVERY beta-realease (been following their newsletter since I'm still a vB4 customer (not for long)). This is clearly some bigger problems below. I would guess they might outsorced the coding to India etc just to save some bucks or they really are that bad programmers?

It reminds me of old Windows development (sorry if there are any W fans here): just make a half crappy version (alpha), post it and let the users come back with all the issues (bugs) we need to fix. Then sell the fixed version as the next big version and so on...

@ Cloud 9

Tested the vB5 72h beta and - no thanks! Just the Admin panel looks like, or I should say still looks like, some leftover from the 90's UI.

BTW: On the "switch" subject, I just posted a poll here: Just telling the truth about my experience of vB support...

I'm talking about that there's like 130+ bugs on EVERY beta-realease (been following their newsletter since I'm still a vB4 customer (not for long)). This is clearly some bigger problems below. I would guess they might outsorced the coding to India etc just to save some bucks or they really are that bad programmers?

It reminds me of old Windows development (sorry if there are any W fans here): just make a half crappy version (alpha), post it and let the users come back with all the issues (bugs) we need to fix. Then sell the fixed version as the next big version and so on...

Again though, it's not the number of bugs, it's the importance of the bug. It's also the number of betas. For a Beta 1 release, very understandable to have over 100 bugs (or even over 500). By the fourth or so release though, if they're hitting over 100 new bugs in just a few days time, then yeah, that's not good. I don't mean just bug reports and not just bugs of any nature, but important bugs. A typo in a language string isn't something I consider important, though it does need to be fixed. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that vB is a great product (I would hope the IPS staff would hunt me down and shoot me if I ever became a vB fan), just trying to be fair about it.

All that said though.. Just how often are they releasing beta's? Because having over 20 for one version is just ridiculous, considering the product and platform.

On your Windows reference.. I take it you are referring to Windows Vista being the half crappy version and Windows 7 being the fixed version? If so, then yeah, that was a fiasco on their behalf. I used Vista for maybe a combined total of a few days since it was released, and that was just to see what it was like (used a VM) or because of troubleshooting a computer that had it installed. Simply put, I dodged that bullet. Now I'm dodging Windows 8. I can't get past the lack of a built-in option to have the old style Start menu. For a tablet, okay, it makes sense. For a desktop, it's stupid (to not have the choice).

Archived