Editor Feedback

Lindy

Our custom style is ready however we will not complete our move to IPB until all editor related issues are completely fixed and our users can continue to use the editor as they are used to. Editor is directly related to Board activity , if you mess with board activity , you directly mess with your board.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We upgraded to 3.4.1 a few days ago. We get some odd results with
LISTs on our forum. BBCode is absolutely required to edit them into intended result.

We do a lot of posting of "Canned Speeches" into replies and any speeches with LISTs are seriously messed up. LISTs get combined, empty lines are dropped - all fairly easily fixed via BBCode view. I hope all this tweaking won't be necessary with 3.4.2 but still I put in a strong plea for keeping BBCode.

• Management

Lets not worry about IPS 4.0 and how we'll work in custom mark-up. Other than the desire to have buttons on the standard editor, is there anything else we can do to improve the editor for the 3.4 series?

Lets not worry about IPS 4.0 and how we'll work in custom mark-up. Other than the desire to have buttons on the standard editor, is there anything else we can do to improve the editor for the 3.4 series?

Bring back the quote tags instead of the preformatted quote. As I mentioned earlier, I often quote portions of news articles on a news forum. If there is an image in the original I between two paragraphs I have to grab them separately.

The second paste will almost always fall outside of the quote, and cannot be added except in a single paste.

Could you make it so when I click the back button in my browser the contents of the editor is not wiped for browsers that support that behaviour? For both STD and RTE and quick and full reply.

I've been on forums where it's preserved when clicking back, forward etc. so I know it's possible. Autosave isn't always enough.

Autosave isn't always enough.

Add a way to force a save. That way if someone is worried that their browser is about to crash or if they know they have to shut down the browser (or computer), they can force the save and then shutdown ASAP, knowing they will be able to recover it later.

Not only that, but as TSP mentioned, going forward/back. Force a save, navigate, come back.

I still would like it to just work so the browser takes care of remembering the contents of the editor. I believe this is how it works on other sites. Browsers are capable of recovering contents of text fields etc. when navigating if you have it specific history navigation mode, but they're not able to do that if javascript wipes it out. (Although I'm not entirely sure if js is what does that here)

I know it's entirely my fault when it happens, but sometimes I accidentally click links etc. while writing a post, not opening it in a new tab

That is actually the most irritating thing with Apple's Magic Mouse, and I'm sure you've noticed it as well Matt; When you move from the mouse and back to the keyboard after having pressed the formatting buttons and stuff, it's very easy to go to the previous page if you accidentally swipe over the mouse. Would a forced save be possible to do when navigating back and forth, as I'm sure text recovery could be buggy on some browsers.

Were going to suggest an "Are you sure you want to leave the page" alert if you're doing this when the editor is active, but that might get annoying over time.

It has been mentioned before... But please let the admin pick a default editor for the community. (Specially if the standard editor is brought back).

Matt

When we do a screen capture, enable the paste directly in the editor, the blog section already allow this, this one should be easy to do...hope i'm right :-)

I agree that a pluggable editor would be nice to have, but for the moment I think the most important thing would be to make the non-CKE editor more useful. I would rather have a nice text-only editor in 3.4.2 and a pluggable editor in 4.0 than a half-working text-only editor and a half-working pluggable editor in 3.4.2...

And why did you not put off all these changes to 4.0? This seems like a very painful "pit-stop".

I've never seen anyone asking for quote and code-buttons to be "fancy"/rendered html in RTE, I think.

Switching back to storing "everything" as html in database.. I'm not sure about that, but doesn't that cause a lot of headaches down the road if you do changes to html-markup etc.? And I don't like to think about the bugs we'll be sure to encounter at the stage where we need to rebuild 20 million posts.

All these editor changes really seems like something you should've put more work into in a major release like 4.0, where I've heard you'll change stuff again.

We we're planning on upgrading to 3.4, skipping 3.3, but this seems like a really bad idea at this point, considering our community is a very tech savvy forum. I don't want to lose any thousand posts posters because the editor will start breaking posts regularly etc... :smile:

We'll consider upgrading to 3.3.4 instead, from 3.2.3. Since I can't say I remember seeing any major issues with the editor reported in 3.3.4 and I feel the editor is more stable in 3.3 than both 3.4 and 3.2. (Could someone correct me if I'm wrong?)

Don't be fooled, the editor in 3.3.4 is also far from perfect, to the point where we ended up moving some of our larger posts into an external Wiki because there were so many formatting issues. I don't know what the editor in 3.2 is like, but it might make sense to wait...

Don't be fooled, the editor in 3.3.4 is also far from perfect, to the point where we ended up moving some of our larger posts into an external Wiki because there were so many formatting issues. I don't know what the editor in 3.2 is like, but it might make sense to wait...

Okay, thanks. Guess it would be helpful to hear if someone else have the same experience. One of the issues in 3.2 is atleast § not working on edit of posts. Some other issues I've fixed myself.

To any IPS employees: Please note that there is also a lot of really valuable feedback from this post and onwards http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/374960-editor-patch/?p=2355862

The topic is in the pre-release testing forum, you might want to move over some of the posts to this topic.

• Management

I am not hiding the fact that we have somewhat dropped the ball on the editor for 3.4 and apologize for the issues and delay in resolving those issues. Rest assured, our development team is focusing and working tirelessly on getting improvements to you next week.

We have heard your feedback and are doing what we can for 3.4.2.

Thank you for your patience.

I think one of the big issues that is causing grief boils down to conversion. When switching back and forth, doing preview, submitting or editing, what have you, the conversion is not only inconsistent going to a 'raw' form, but when converted back, it's losing something as well.

For example, if I purposely add or remove an extra blank line in a post, that add/remove sometimes gets thrown out. I prefer to double space between sets of quotes/replies so that it's a little easier to follow. But one extra line in a post seems to get removed while another doesn't. Then when dealing with bbCode and other formatting options, that too seems to get mangled. With certain exceptions, such as filtering out stuff that either won't make a difference or could be an attempt at malicious or destructive behavior, when it's converted, it should show up the same or relatively the same when shown again.

A good example would be when dealing with compression. When you ZIP or RAR files, you expect the files to be exactly the same when you extract them. Instead, it's similar to converting a WAV file to MP3, where some loss is happening, except that the loss is important/necessary data.

When toggling between STD/RTE, it shouldn't be altering any actual content or choice of formatting. If I use the center bbCode and after the closing tag I type in something (say Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious), then when I switch, the closing center should suddenly include that last word. Same with using the list/* code tags and trying to space something out after that, etc.

I think that's where many of the problems are stemming from, where shuffling is happening and as a result the desired formatting is taking a hit.

I know that there will be issues regardless of the RTE editor being used, but I hope what I said might put some things in perspective that may or may not have already been thought about.

I am not hiding the fact that we have somewhat dropped the ball on the editor for 3.4 and apologize for the issues and delay in resolving those issues. Rest assured, our development team is focusing and working tirelessly on getting improvements to you next week.

We have heard your feedback and are doing what we can for 3.4.2.

Thank you for your patience.

Lindy

Any chance new/update stuff can be retro-fit to version 3.3.3?

I used a image wrap tutorial to display images next to text rather nicely, I used this for a team page. It doesn't work anymore, I uninstalled it to try a different version but that doesn't work either. Is there a bug with the editor which causes these issues?

Archived