Editor Feedback

Lindy

Yes, that happens when you paste. It puts in extra [*][/*] pairs. Easy to fix. Go to a line and backspace so two lines are merged. Then ENTER to separate the 2nd line and it will be right.

I simply place the cursor on the empty line and delete :-). It is just annoying,

Rright now i transfers about 6000 HTML pages and i need to do that for each .... wish i could have a more simple way of doing this.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if it is the right place to ask this, but hover in bbcode "member" was removed in 3.4.2?

http://community.invisionpower.com/resources/bugs.html/_/ip-board/member-bbcode-r41127

Thank you Jose..... I have spent more than a week trying to upgrade another hovercard bbcode, your observation pointed out the actual problem.

Maybe a bug instead of an intentional removal?

Agree annoying and I'm sure they will eventually fix. You could write a PHP script to load each of the pages and delete all [*][*/*]

I wish I could wrote PHP but for now i'm limited in that area and i need to but my eggs somewhere else. If someone would like to give a hand, just PM me and we can discuss an agreement. I'm sure there is many people out there interested to migrate from a HTML site to IPS platform.

A great solution would be to allow each user decide for themselves what editor they want to use. For me for example, i HATE the new editor.... At least we should have the old editor as an option....

This has been suggested many times before... Probably in this topic.. I know IPS has addressed it too...

Having a plugin editor would be 'nice', but imagine the amount of trouble that was had with this editor and multiply it by the number of editors that are pluggable... I don't even want to fathom it.

This has been suggested many times before... Probably in this topic.. I know IPS has addressed it too...

Having a plugin editor would be 'nice', but imagine the amount of trouble that was had with this editor and multiply it by the number of editors that are pluggable... I don't even want to fathom it.

At least that lets the users choose. At the moment we're locked to an un-finished buggy editor.

At least that lets the users choose. At the moment we're locked to an un-finished buggy editor.

Have you upgraded to 3.4.2? The editor had an overhaul from 3.4.1 to 3.4.2... Lots of bugs that were editor related were fixed.

Also, if you're having issues, submit a bug report. You can't expect IPS to fix issues they aren't aware of...

Have you upgraded to 3.4.2? The editor had an overhaul from 3.4.1 to 3.4.2... Lots of bugs that were editor related were fixed.

Also, if you're having issues, submit a bug report. You can't expect IPS to fix issues they aren't aware of...

... and more were created. Given that in 3.4.2, you can't paste content into the RTE without the content being completely mangled as a result, I'd say that "un-finished buggy editor" is a perfect description.

What I would like to know, and have been wondering since I saw CKE 4....

Why is it, when the CKE has added bbcode support native, that are you so dead set on killing bbcode in 4.0 Matt?

Frankly, I fail to understand why you have not dropped in CKE 4, added the IPS plugins and let this experiment and headache die.

As it stands, it *already* is more usable, it accepts and parses bbcode in both RTE and STD mode.... something you killed in RTE mode intentionally(I still cannot fathom that, and neither can a large portion of the userbase).

Surely it is better to add to the round wheel over creating and maintaining this.... customized hybrid forcing bbcode into a CKE never designed for it?

As the goal of the editor change was in 3.2.0, let it finally be. Spend minimal development time with the editor, CKE 4 already has the desired functionality and framework..

• Management

CKEditor 4 is a significant rewrite of most of the core assets, we'd need to rewrite a lot of our code also including all our custom plug-ins.

The BBCode engine supplied with CKEditor is more of a proof of concept that a finished production quality module.

Regarding 'killing' BBCode and its future, it's all speculation at this point as we haven't firmed up our plans for this in 4.0 yet. We've had many discussions both internally and externally and we've yet to form a detailed plan.

CKEditor 4 is a significant rewrite of most of the core assets, we'd need to rewrite a lot of our code also including all our custom plug-ins.

The BBCode engine supplied with CKEditor is more of a proof of concept that a finished production quality module.

Regarding 'killing' BBCode and its future, it's all speculation at this point as we haven't firmed up our plans for this in 4.0 yet. We've had many discussions both internally and externally and we've yet to form a detailed plan.

That is quite scary, as it is more stable in usage.

k.

That is quite scary, as it is more stable in usage.
k.

Scary for us, too.

We've had IPB since 2004. At that time BBCode (Bulletin Board Code) was the natural thing to use.since our users and staff were mostly accustomed to using bulletin boards. Very few people had any problem with the tags and there was good built-in help with it when needed, We still need it when using our Canned Speeches. To go over entirely to HTML would be a massive rewrite for us. Surely "massive rewrite" is more appropriate for the vendor to do than for us to have to do.

As it is, staff has to do a good deal of editing via BBCode to get our posts to look right. What is maddening is that even after editing, if we copy the contents of the post and replace our stored text with that, it tends (seems random) to have the extra line problem when used again.. .

I find the 3.4.2 editor quite usable and as noted, a big improvement over 3.4.1. But I wish IPS had just stuck with BBCode and never attempted HTML. It seems to me that storing and retrieving BBCode text is more compact and simpler and bug free. Why store HTML. anyway? Apparently IPS was aiming for the WordPress market rather than limiting the product to forums. No doubt some IPS customers like being able to easily design fancy web pages but although the WYSIWYG is very nice sometimes it isn't anything we ever felt the need of.

I'm going to plug this editor project I'm working on for IP.Content because ultimately I'm going to make it 100% open source and available as a community project to update (or for anyone to fork it). I want to have a solid tangible editor replacement that demonstrates what the community can do should a plugin architecture be made available.

Here's the editor features guys.. and you'll see how it addresses some common complaints.

• HTML-based article editing.. NO WYSIWYG
  • Original post preservation - no translation between bbcode and html
  • Full bbcode support through the bbcode parsing engine in IPS
  • Default html syntax highlighting
  • Inline syntax highlighting for code, php, xml, html, sql (just by typing the bbcode tag for each it kicks into a different highlighting mode)
  • Support for embedding attachments using the native "Add to Post" link
  • Support for drag and drop attachments into the editor

Here are some demo videos:

Drag and Drop Upload Demo

http://screencast.com/t/wUjQgx8g

Syntax Highlighting Demo

http://screencast.com/t/zDfGVdBAIwA

I had the chance to try 3.4.3 Editor early and it might be the best ever. It's the full package - everything seems to work as best as it can be, with great HTML and BBCode support and conversions. Of course there may still be a few bugs here and there, but the foundation takes a huge step forward. Very impressed and satisfied.

I had the chance to try 3.4.3 Editor early and it might be the best ever. It's the full package - everything seems to work as best as it can be, with great HTML and BBCode support and conversions. Of course there may still be a few bugs here and there, but the foundation takes a huge step forward. Very impressed and satisfied.

I'm on the polar opposite end on this one. The "conversions" are the issue at hand and the editor is a constant source of frustration for those who use it in my community. It is better than the initial 3.4 editor, however.

Archived