What will 3.2 hold?

Paranormalis

I own 3 IPB licenses and a license to every other addon.
I recently made the switch to XenForo as I felt IPB simply has too much slowing it down compared to the forum software I switched over to.

I was wondering what, if any design aspects would be implemented in IPB 3.2 that would bring a customer back to using IPB versus a new competitor.

I would imagine it would be a continued refinement of what is already in 3.1. Actual new features will likely be announced in due time.

And there is nothing that can ever be added to IPB that will bring you back from another solution unless you tell us what it currently missing in IPB that is in the solution you ended up going with.

I own 3 IPB licenses and a license to every other addon.

I recently made the switch to XenForo as I felt IPB simply has too much slowing it down compared to the forum software I switched over to.

I was wondering what, if any design aspects would be implemented in IPB 3.2 that would bring a customer back to using IPB versus a new competitor.

There is nothing I've seen in XenForo that's evolutionary or ground breaking in terms of what a Forum/community package can do.. Not to mention IPS has been making relatively steady strides to all of their package NOT just IP.Board

I am talking more of streamlining the code in order to make it work faster.
But then, the more code you include the slower it will perform.

XenForo has a unique style to it and for what I want it works great. It is a simple forum software that understands facebook is an indirect competitor that has been slowing down the growth of forums all across the board.
However, I will admit that right now there are not many skins or mods available. That is understandable seeing as it has just now reached RC1 level.

I feel that in order to compete that IPB needs a new outlook on what it brings in terms of a new style and perhaps streamline the code a bit more (as I am aware they will be removing areas that are no longer needed).

I have always said that IPB is about innovation, and I would like to see that innovation to show through an outstanding default style. Maybe integrate some functions of Xen into 3.2.

I have more money riding on IPB than I do XenForo. So I obviously am hoping for some great changes.

I would think core features, how easy a software is to skin, and how many mods or custom modders are available are better than a default forum skin.

I do wish many features could be removed or have an option to remove/turn off. Emoticons are an example.

I would think core features, how easy a software is to skin, and how many mods or custom modders are available are better than a default forum skin.

I do wish many features could be removed or have an option to remove/turn off. Emoticons are an example.

While I do tend to agree. I also know that a nice looking default style would be better than a simplistic, almost empty looking design.
I've purchased styles from skinbox and ipbforumskin, but still find those styles don't offer what I am looking for.
Although Ehren once did a custom for me back on the old 2.3.x series and I was happy with that.

I am 100% with you on removing a lot of older code that was around on older forum software such as emoticons.

I find it somewhat bemusing and amusing how some praise Xf for its simplicity. I suffer deja vu when I look at an Xf board as it's appearance is that of boards about a decade ago. No doubt this will change as Xf develops and users clamour for ever more functionality...

Really? XenForo's design is pure CSS and I have never seen a forum design look that way. Especially not a decade ago.
I began running forums in the 90's using UBB, Ikonboard, PhpBB, vBulletin, IPB and now XenForo.

Let's be realistic here and not go off on crazy thoughts people.

Really, and how the look is achieved whether by 'pure CSS' or by tissue paper and chewing gum ain't really relevant.

It shows forward thinking. It looks like you'll be happy with a page generated with pure tables, no CSS and just images?

While I do tend to agree. I also know that a nice looking default style would be better than a simplistic, almost empty looking design.

I've purchased styles from skinbox and ipbforumskin, but still find those styles don't offer what I am looking for.

Although Ehren once did a custom for me back on the old 2.3.x series and I was happy with that.

I am 100% with you on removing a lot of older code that was around on older forum software such as emoticons.

See I don't get this. I really like the IPB style. The XF style is way to simple. And the fact that is still not really well suited to those with love vision (IE text dosen't take well to be larger). And that its missing many features most of us would need. XF has not really felt the real load of the world so to speak. Give it a couple of revisions. Right now its on the par with free software with pretty effects.

I find it somewhat bemusing and amusing how some praise Xf for its simplicity. I suffer deja vu when I look at an Xf board as it's appearance is that of boards about a decade ago. No doubt this will change as Xf develops and users clamour for ever more functionality...

What amazes me is people are paying for software that isn't up to paid alternatives in terms of basic features. It doesn't even have a warning system.

I still can't see whats so great about the design its just minimalist if you like that design great.

3.2? I believe it was mentioned that slimming down for better usability was planned. Blogs and Gallery went that way already, so it shouldnt be surprising that the regular board would follow. Especially with how much interest people online displayed for that. In fact, I take slimming down was allegedly considered before xf showed its mug.

For quotes, google, the integrated IPB search and 'find my content' are your friends.

XenForo is interesting, but personally I see nothing there that draws me to it.
It's a bit faster, about 1/3, but then again it has about 1/60 %7Boption%7D of the features of IPB ;) (Yes, I overstate this on purpose... hell, xF lacks many basic features and it uses this stupid styling system all over again...)

I also don't really care for the standard-style although I do understand that this may be a deal for many customers.

Wait for IPB Staff blogs to see whats in 3.2. More or less, I must say XF has some nice features. I haven't bought it and neither I am going to buy it, till it reaches version 2.x.

I am just amazed to see how many people payed for Beta/RC releases LOL. I wouldn't pay single penny for beta/rc releases. I always tested windows OS beta/RC releases for 'free' and same with many other softwares. But this is just me.

I'll say this about XenForo. It may be RC1 right now, but even in beta it was more stable than some Gold releases from either IPB or vBulletin.
I like XenForo so much that I have considered holding a posting contest to give away my account with (3) IPB licenses, and 1 license of all the addons including Nexus.

Yea, I could sell it. But if I could help someone out who would like a great deal and wants to move away from vBulletin or a free forum software then why not.

I'll say this about XenForo. It may be RC1 right now, but even in beta it was more stable than some Gold releases from either IPB or vBulletin.

I like XenForo so much that I have considered holding a posting contest to give away my account with (3) IPB licenses, and 1 license of all the addons including Nexus.

Yea, I could sell it. But if I could help someone out who would like a great deal and wants to move away from vBulletin or a free forum software then why not.

It's more "stable" because they don't have to deal with all of the features that IP.B and vB have yet, once they keep adding features, it will be just as "stable" as IP.B/vB.

The question remains, who needs all the extra features?
What are we trying to accomplish with our website or forum? Are all the added extra functionality worthwhile or worthless?
Each individual will have their own opinion about that.

I say that XenForo is going in the right direction. A forum software with sociable functionality that is desired by today's internet user.
They don't have to add in crap features just because they supported them in older version. Xen is new and can support updated feature sets versus outdated but sill used features.

The question remains, who needs all the extra features?

Just look at all of the other topics in this forum, IP.Board customers are the ones asking for extra features, IPS then decides what they can add. They can't please everyone with what they decide to add, though. If they're adding too much for your liking, and you prefer a less feature filled product, there are other things like XenForo that may be better fits for you. But just bear in mind, XenForo is likely to add more features later on as well.

Just look at all of the other topics in this forum, IP.Board customers are the ones asking for extra features, IPS then decides what they can add. They can't please everyone with what they decide to add, though. If they're adding too much for your liking, and you prefer a less feature filled product, there are other things like XenForo that may be better fits for you. But just bear in mind, XenForo is likely to add more features later on as well.

I am sure they will and I look forward to it. But even Matt has admitted that currently the product has too many features that could and should be removed.
I am hoping that 3.2 will see a lot of useless features or outdated features that are no longer relevant, removed.

Forum software must refocus on what was and what is. Right now vBulletin is stuck in the 90's to early 2000's.
IPB is trying to catch up to what forum owners and users desire. But at the same time, they have to keep certain features because of the past versions.

If they were to get rid of 100% of all the useless or outdated features and then replace them with usable features for today's generation... forums could once again be a viable market.
Just because customers say they want extra features... doesn't mean IPS should listen.

Customers, as I have learned over the years, need to get their heads out of their rear ends and allow people to do their jobs as they deem best.

I am a customer of IPS and XF. But I consider that the developers understand what is best for the product and try, not to tell them what to do.

The reason I decided to go with IPS over vB and XF is because IPS does so well in listening to customers. They don't add everything customers ask for, some of it just isn't practical but they do listen to their customers because customers are the ones that decide what is needed for their community. XF feels a lot like Apple to me. They develop the way they want to develop and release their products. It may be a hit or miss but as a paying customer I would be rather worried if IPS didn't carefully take into consideration and weigh the opinion of their customers.

You say you would like it to be lighter, I think you can expect that with 3.2. IPS is taking strides to improve itself and get rid of functions that are more like relics than productive features. Another point I would like to make is about the default skin of IPB. They are planning to modernize the skin with 3.2. However, even with the 3.1 series there are plenty of skins that you can get, free or paid. I am not sure about the skinning community that XF has but I see that IPS has a very large skinning community and it's actually gaining traction (possibly due the the recent mess vB has gotten itself into). Also could you clarify on the "excess" that you speak of? Is it just for IP. Board or other applications too? IP. Board isn't as light as XF but it's far more powerful. It may just be me but I think functionality far outweighs a "better speed" or "better design" that XF has. = )

If they were to get rid of 100% of all the useless or outdated features and then replace them with usable features for today's generation... forums could once again be a viable market.

1) Every "useless" feature to you is a useful feature to someone else. :) This statement is entirely subjective, and thus it's unlikely we'll ever hit anyone's "perfect" goal. Yes, we will be removing a lot of things in 3.2 that we feel are outdated or can be accomplished without telling the admin/user about it. But it's probable that no matter how much we remove or add, every user will still have their own opinion of other things that should be removed, or added.

2) Forums are an extremely viable market already.

1) Every "useless" feature to you is a useful feature to someone else. :) This statement is entirely subjective, and thus it's unlikely we'll ever hit anyone's "perfect" goal. Yes, we will be removing a lot of things in 3.2 that we feel are outdated or can be accomplished without telling the admin/user about it. But it's probable that no matter how much we remove or add, every user will still have their own opinion of other things that should be removed, or added.

Can't you tell us what they are so we can make plans?

ZenForo looks too bland to me, I hope IPB aren't making changes based off that.

I'm interested in what you are doing by 'modernizing the skin'. IPBs default skin is getting whiter and whiter and less appealing on the eyes, and if they carry on they're going to be less popular board of choice. Look at which ipb boards are popular, none that look like the default 3.1 skin without abit of colour put into it and the majority of users weren't keen on changes when making the upgrade to 3.0 from 2.3. And yes, I have looked into that, I waited almost a year checking other forum users reactions before making the move myself.

Archived