vBulletin Owners: Handy FAQs

Matt

[quote name='Ryuk' date='27 October 2009 - 08:59 PM' timestamp='1256691567' post='1872483']
How well managed is the Community (like vbulletin.org for example) in IPB?
Does it has a good Modifications Source?

You can browse the community-released addons here:

http://community.invisionpower.com/index.php?app=downloads

[quote name='CrankyFC' date='27 October 2009 - 10:00 PM' timestamp='1256695225' post='1872498']
I'm moving away from vB and coming here.. It'll be great to be here again since I left for vB years ago. Only question.. What if I want IP.Content and IP.Blogs - any discounts? I don't really need them but it'd be nice to have them, but otherwise too expensive. Just wondering, either way: I'm coming back.

[quote name='Dave Legg' date='28 October 2009 - 10:37 AM' timestamp='1256740671' post='1872642']
Would that also involve a discount if I was to only purchase gallery and ip content?

We have a promotion running presently that provides for the greatest discount you can possibly get. When this promotion ends and we switch to the new system on November 2nd, you will indeed be able to mix-n-match any applications, and get a discount proportional to the number of packages purchased, however we should note that the discount will not be as good as the one presently offered for the suite bundle. Still, to answer your question, you will be able to mix n match any packages, not just specific ones (Gallery, Blog, Downloads, Content, Board, etc.)

Will these discounts only count if you buy ip board at the same time, or will they also apply if you have ip board but just want to purchase a couple of add ons?

On a side note, ive just renewed ip board licence, how long does it normally take to be verified before its available for download?

[quote name='Dave Legg' date='28 October 2009 - 03:07 PM' timestamp='1256742475' post='1872666']
On a side note, ive just renewed ip board licence, how long does it normally take to be verified before its available for download?

Probably not long as Billing will be active at this time of day. :)

Didnt take along at all. Just set up a test site and wanted to ask a quick question regarding conversion.

I want to convert my vbulletin to my ipb to test only at present. Ive got to the stage where its asking for the vbulletin database details. Will it just copy the data or will it delete it?

I want my vbulletin site to remain working and dont want to lose everything.

Hope that makes sense!

[quote name='Dave Legg' date='28 October 2009 - 04:54 PM' timestamp='1256745288' post='1872691']
I want to convert my vbulletin to my ipb to test only at present. Ive got to the stage where its asking for the vbulletin database details. Will it just copy the data or will it delete it?

Copy.

Alright, just paid the 25 dollar renewal again. Put in a ticket to ask about why I can't download, as soon as I can download the IP.Board stuff I'm going to be switching from vBulletin.

EDIT: Now I can download, now only to convert this weekend. Thanks IPS!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

If somehow the security and customizability of vbulletin (look at all the mods at vbulletin.org) could be combined with the management at IPS, the result would be the best forum software ever.

I'm sort of working on IP.Board's security, but I will have to keep using vBulletin as I have customized and modified it too much.

[quote name='Cryptovirus' date='04 May 2010 - 08:31 PM' timestamp='1273001466' post='1948155']
If somehow the security and customizability of vbulletin (look at all the mods at vbulletin.org) could be combined with the management at IPS, the result would be the best forum software ever.

I'm sort of working on IP.Board's security, but I will have to keep using vBulletin as I have customized and modified it too much.

So IPS have hired you to do their security?

Strange you are not a licence holder LOL

[quote name='.Ian' date='04 May 2010 - 03:36 PM' timestamp='1273001763' post='1948161']

He does it as a hobby and I actually appreciate it, because the security holes he finds now ensure a more security/solid product sooner than later.

Apologies if I've missed something, but where can we get hold of these? I'm doing the conversion myself, and these would obviously be very useful. Are they part of the conversion process (only just started that on a test install).

You needn't worry about broken links after you convert either, we have some redirection scripts that will take users from your old vBulletin URLs to the new URLs on IP.Board - so if members follow links from search engines, they'll still be shown the right content on your community.

[quote name='rgf100' date='05 May 2010 - 06:04 AM' timestamp='1273053869' post='1948403']
Apologies if I've missed something, but where can we get hold of these? I'm doing the conversion myself, and these would obviously be very useful. Are they part of the conversion process (only just started that on a test install).

I see your order cleared through. Congratulations on becoming an IPS Customer. :thumbsup:

[quote name='rgf100' date='05 May 2010 - 12:04 PM' timestamp='1273053869' post='1948403']Apologies if I've missed something, but where can we get hold of these? I'm doing the conversion myself, and these would obviously be very useful. Are they part of the conversion process (only just started that on a test install).
The redirect scripts are in the Tools folder of the converters package :)

[quote name='.Ian' date='04 May 2010 - 08:36 PM' timestamp='1273001763' post='1948161']

You misspelled license.

Alright, fine, you win this argument. Thanks Wolfie for the support. :)

[quote name='.Ian' date='04 May 2010 - 03:36 PM' timestamp='1273001763' post='1948161']

You misspelled license.

[quote name='Cryptovirus' date='05 May 2010 - 03:32 PM' timestamp='1273087945' post='1948605']
Alright, fine, you win this argument.

Ok, sitting back and thinking about this, if we contract ANYONE to do a security audit - why would we require them to buy a license first? :blink: I can't imagine how that would make sense. If I was a security auditor and faced with that situation, surely I'd simply raise my price to compensate for the cost of the IPB license (or tell the company they're nuts and ignore them).

Cryptovirus has been looking for and reporting issues he finds on his own without compensation. The fixes, once rolled into IPB, benefit all of our customers (especially since he seems to be focusing on security-related things). Personally, I'm happy for him to look through the code and report any problems he finds so we can continue to deliver a secure, stable software for all of our customers.

[quote name='bfarber' date='05 May 2010 - 04:25 PM' timestamp='1273091148' post='1948626']
Cryptovirus has been looking for and reporting issues he finds on his own without compensation. The fixes, once rolled into IPB, benefit all of our customers (especially since he seems to be focusing on security-related things). Personally, I'm happy for him to look through the code and report any problems he finds so we can continue to deliver a secure, stable software for all of our customers.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

this is a nice summary. I have some questions (hope they haven`t been answered yet):

[*]a converting service for Photopost galleries is mentioned. But the gallery here in the top navigation isn`t really structured. I have a lot of categories and at least a 3 level structure like "Recipes->soups->vegetarian soups". You can see my gallery here. Can this be done with the invision gallery? Can the display of the large image be done in a lightbox? [*]when you hover over a thread title in vBulletin, a content preview pops up. Here an icon appears right of the thread title and I have to click on that icon to get a preview. Can this be adjusted? [*]are tags/tagclouds available and do they work across areas like forum, blogs, gallery?

thank you - all the best,
Sacha

[*]by writing this post I notice that there is no rich text editor available here. Can this be enabled?

[quote name='Sacha Vorbeck' date='19 May 2010 - 02:50 PM' timestamp='1274295011' post='1955432']
Hi,

this is a nice summary. I have some questions (hope they haven`t been answered yet):

by writing this post I notice that there is no rich text editor available here. Can this be enabled?
Yes there is. Go into the UserCP (your settings) and you can enable it there.

when you hover over a thread title in vBulletin, a content preview pops up. Here an icon appears right of the thread title and I have to click on that icon to get a preview. Can this be adjusted?
Would you prefer that it be on the left instead of the right? That can be done.

[quote name='Sacha Vorbeck' date='19 May 2010 - 02:50 PM' timestamp='1274295011' post='1955432']
Hi,

[*]by writing this post I notice that there is no rich text editor available here. Can this be enabled?[*]a converting service for Photopost galleries is mentioned. But the gallery here in the top navigation isn`t really structured. I have a lot of categories and at least a 3 level structure like "Recipes->soups->vegetarian soups". You can see my gallery here. Can this be done with the invision gallery? Can the display of the large image be done in a lightbox?[*]when you hover over a thread title in vBulletin, a content preview pops up. Here an icon appears right of the thread title and I have to click on that icon to get a preview. Can this be adjusted?[*]are tags/tagclouds available and do they work across areas like forum, blogs, gallery?

thank you - all the best,
    Sacha

1) If you click your username at the top and choose My Settings, it takes you to this page: http://community.invisionpower.com/index.php?app=core&module=usercp

2) Yes, Gallery can support unlimited subcategory depth. Gallery also supports displaying images larger than the medium configured size in lightbox.

Random example: http://community.invisionpower.com/gallery/image/2963-pc-image-6/
    Click the icon

3) Through a template/javascript modification, yes. There are no settings to change it without altering the skin, however.

4) This is not a feature at this time.

Archived