Urgent help required: 'reply box' gone after forum upgrade

Folks!

I need a BIG favour could anyone diagnose this issue, after upgrading the reply box was gone and format is strange...literally no one can post

Could contain: Page, Text

Any help would be SO fantastic, thank in advance

8 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

OMG Adriano you are a life saver! Big virtual hug thank you so much, I think this has done it.

Im not techincal (as you probably guessed) we are just a hobby forum, would the reply box errors have been causing these log errors:

Could contain: Text, Page

On that page, a bit below there is a System Logs button, click on it and post one of the errors here. If there are multiple errors, post a copy of each one. (Or you can also click the yellow text to see which specific error is repeated.)

Edited by teraßyte

1 hour ago, teraßyte said:

On that page, a bit below there is a System Logs button, click on it and post one of the errors here. If there are multiple errors, post a copy of each one. (Or you can also click the yellow text to see which specific error is repeated.)

Bingo - found what you mean, thanks so much. There are a few:

Could contain: Page, Text, File

ArgumentCountError: Too few arguments to function IPS\Theme\Cache\class_forums_front_topics::postContainer(), 2 passed in /home/housepri/public_html/forum/system/Theme/SandboxedTemplate.php on line 61 and at least 3 expected in /home/housepri/public_html/forum/templatescache/template_3_7a734b11232065691bc1176040cb26ad_topics.php:1987
Stack trace:
#0 /home/housepri/public_html/forum/system/Theme/SandboxedTemplate.php(61): IPS\Theme\Cache\class_forums_front_topics->postContainer(Object(IPS\forums\Topic), Object(IPS\forums\Topic\Post))
#1 /home/housepri/public_html/forum/system/Content/Comment.php(837): IPS\Theme\_SandboxedTemplate->__call('postContainer', Array)
#2 /home/housepri/public_html/forum/applications/forums/sources/Topic/Post.php(485): IPS\Content\_Comment->html()
#3 /home/housepri/public_html/forum/system/Content/Item.php(4843): IPS\forums\Topic\_Post->html()
#4 /home/housepri/public_html/forum/applications/forums/modules/front/forums/topic.php(141): IPS\Content\_Item->commentForm()
#5 /home/housepri/public_html/forum/system/Dispatcher/Controller.php(118): IPS\forums\modules\front\forums\_topic->manage()
#6 /home/housepri/public_html/forum/system/Content/Controller.php(50): IPS\Dispatcher\_Controller->execute()
#7 /home/housepri/public_html/forum/applications/forums/modules/front/forums/topic.php(39): IPS\Content\_Controller->execute()
#8 /home/housepri/public_html/forum/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(153): IPS\forums\modules\front\forums\_topic->execute()
#9 /home/housepri/public_html/forum/index.php(13): IPS\_Dispatcher->run()
#10 {main}

2 minutes ago, Fubra said:

Hi Jim thanks for your message. How does one clear ones template cache??

Would need to empty your template cache directory on your server. Sounds like your server had a write issue which is causing it to be out of date.

Judging by your stacktrace, that is at: /home/housepri/public_html/forum/templatescache/

10 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Would need to empty your template cache directory on your server. Sounds like your server had a write issue which is causing it to be out of date.

Judging by your stacktrace, that is at: /home/housepri/public_html/forum/templatescache/

I understood 'server'. That links to hosting - ive fired off a support email to my host. Thanks

2 minutes ago, teraßyte said:

It's also possible your theme is too old and needs an update. From which version did you upgrade exactly?

Not sure, it just pops up saying 'Jan update' or something like that, when im logged in as admin.

20 minutes ago, Fubra said:

Not sure, it just pops up saying 'Jan update' or something like that, when im logged in as admin.

I was wondering if you had updated from a much older version (4.2, 4.4, etc). Based on what you said, you update regularly, so you were on version 4.7.14 most likely. Not old enough for the whole theme to break.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks just wanted to circle back on this as im still getting a ton of system errors:

ArgumentCountError: Too few arguments to function IPS\Theme\Cache\class_forums_front_topics::postContainer(), 2 passed in /home/housepri/public_html/forum/system/Theme/SandboxedTemplate.php on line 61 and at least 3 expected in /home/housepri/public_html/forum/templatescache/template_3_7a734b11232065691bc1176040cb26ad_topics.php:1987
Stack trace:
#0 /home/housepri/public_html/forum/system/Theme/SandboxedTemplate.php(61): IPS\Theme\Cache\class_forums_front_topics->postContainer(Object(IPS\forums\Topic), Object(IPS\forums\Topic\Post))
#1 /home/housepri/public_html/forum/system/Content/Comment.php(837): IPS\Theme\_SandboxedTemplate->__call('postContainer', Array)
#2 /home/housepri/public_html/forum/applications/forums/sources/Topic/Post.php(485): IPS\Content\_Comment->html()
#3 /home/housepri/public_html/forum/system/Content/Item.php(4865): IPS\forums\Topic\_Post->html()
#4 /home/housepri/public_html/forum/applications/forums/modules/front/forums/topic.php(141): IPS\Content\_Item->commentForm()
#5 /home/housepri/public_html/forum/system/Dispatcher/Controller.php(118): IPS\forums\modules\front\forums\_topic->manage()
#6 /home/housepri/public_html/forum/system/Content/Controller.php(50): IPS\Dispatcher\_Controller->execute()
#7 /home/housepri/public_html/forum/applications/forums/modules/front/forums/topic.php(39): IPS\Content\_Controller->execute()
#8 /home/housepri/public_html/forum/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(153): IPS\forums\modules\front\forums\_topic->execute()
#9 /home/housepri/public_html/forum/index.php(13): IPS\_Dispatcher->run()
#10 {main}

A cache clear will help in fairness but its a short term fix and the same issues keep coming back...

Could anyone tell me what to action (or more to the point as someone to action...!)

Thanks a million!

As an example, right now, on mobile it wont let me open the hamburger (to view profile etc) all it does when I click it is refresh the page. Which as you can imagine is driving my forum member nuts

2 minutes ago, teraßyte said:

Does the error go away if you switch to a default, unedited theme?

Hey @teraßyte thanks fotr your message; it could be that the theme is too old in fairness...

I havent tried to switch to the default theme...that could fix it..how do I switch to that to test?

aha. The plot thickens Baldrick. So do I just set that as the theme and run that test?

Could contain: Text, Page

6 minutes ago, teraßyte said:

If you don't have any theme in ACP without the Customized text you can add a new default non-edited one by clicking the + Create New button top-right.

Either Easy Mode or Manual Mode will do for testing.

Thanks! Will try this now...if its goes wrong, I can always just switch it back right..how likely am I to break something beyond repair lol?!

1 minute ago, Randy Calvert said:

Just make sure to give it a name like "New Default" or something so you know which one you're actually selecting!  Also make sure once it's good that you remove the old bad "IPS Defaults" and set the new one as the theme for all members.  🙂

Gotcha, thanks Randy.

Im going in - here goes!

1 minute ago, Fubra said:

Thanks! Will try this now...if its goes wrong, I can always just switch it back right..how likely am I to break something beyond repair lol?!

You can change it only for you by making the theme available to your member group and then switching to using it from the front end of the site.  If it does not work, just switch back to your prior theme!

If it does work, you can make that theme the default for everyone by choosing that option in the theme settings!  🙂

Edited by Randy Calvert