Archive and Searching

I have been looking for a solution that will allow me to archive topics (We have like 9M posts), but also allow searching (I use ElasticSearch). Everything I read says I can't. But I just read this:

It came up in search, but it also says it is archived. So, is this possible? A searchable archive with ElasticSearch?

4 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Keep in mind that Archived topics are not available in our internal search but are available in external searches, i.e. Google. Is that where you found this topic, in our internal search?

Yes. 

Search Everywhere >> Archive Search >> select Archive and Search 

About 20+ entries down.

Does Elastic Search help matters?

15 minutes ago, Zone Plate said:

It still doesn't explain how an archived item appeared in your search.

My god child said it best…

image.gif

🤣

16 minutes ago, Zone Plate said:

How does this help?

7 hours ago, Daniel F said:

I’m thinking he might have made a plugin to achieve this. It might be worth pinging him if interested. 🙂

Edited by Randy Calvert

1 hour ago, Randy Calvert said:

My god child said it best…

image.gif

🤣

I’m thinking he might have made a plugin to achieve this. It might be worth pinging him if interested. 🙂

Super weird.

I'm discussing the search results here. IPS says it can't be done. It looks like it is done here. I'm still waiting for a reply that address this.

As I mentioned in my last reply, it can't be done.

One of the reasons to use the archive feature is to clean up the search index.

Could you explain what you're trying to achieve? Why do you want to archive something? Maybe there's a better solution than the archive feature.

• 3 months later...
On 10/10/2022 at 2:38 PM, Daniel F said:

As I mentioned in my last reply, it can't be done.

One of the reasons to use the archive feature is to clean up the search index.

Could you explain what you're trying to achieve? Why do you want to archive something? Maybe there's a better solution than the archive feature.

If I may jump into the conversation (on my own behalf), my site isn't 'huge' (1.2+ Million posts, almost 1700 members). It's a board for an NFL team, so we do get a good bit of activity, especially on gameday, draft day and so on. 

Some threads begin to move very slowly when there's 500 to 1,000 people viewing/posting on it at one time or when the thread grows to a couple thousand pages. So I enabled archiving to ease the stress on the database. 

Now, the archived posts can't be searched, and people want to search for old posts/topics. I hadn't realized (initially), that searching wouldn't work or that it would pose a problem. 

If there's a better solution to this, I'd be grateful to learn of it.  

28 minutes ago, VaBeach_Guy said:

If I may jump into the conversation (on my own behalf), my site isn't 'huge' (1.2+ Million posts, almost 1700 members). It's a board for an NFL team, so we do get a good bit of activity, especially on gameday, draft day and so on. 

Some threads begin to move very slowly when there's 500 to 1,000 people viewing/posting on it at one time or when the thread grows to a couple thousand pages. So I enabled archiving to ease the stress on the database. 

Now, the archived posts can't be searched, and people want to search for old posts/topics. I hadn't realized (initially), that searching wouldn't work or that it would pose a problem. 

If there's a better solution to this, I'd be grateful to learn of it.  

Keep in mind that an archived topic also can't be replied to. 

If the bulk of your traffic and activity come from select topics, it sounds like this is just your server lacking to keep up with performance your activity needs. Next time this happens, you may wish to have your hosting provider review what is happening on the server-side. This way that will give you a better understanding of what is happening.

Another thing to look into if you receive a lot of guest views is some sort of caching via a CDN like CloudFront, CloudFlare, etc... which can cache non-logged in users and display that to take load off your server.

All of this is really outside our scope as a software vendor but if there are any questions, I would advise creating your own topic.

4 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Keep in mind that an archived topic also can't be replied to. 

If the bulk of your traffic and activity come from select topics, it sounds like this is just your server lacking to keep up with performance your activity needs. Next time this happens, you may wish to have your hosting provider review what is happening on the server-side. This way that will give you a better understanding of what is happening.

Another thing to look into if you receive a lot of guest views is some sort of caching via a CDN like CloudFront, CloudFlare, etc... which can cache non-logged in users and display that to take load off your server.

All of this is really outside our scope as a software vendor but if there are any questions, I would advise creating your own topic.

It only happens on select topics that have grown to a large size or on topics that are experiencing a lot of simultaneous activity (during an NFL game, for instance). Looking at what's going on in the moment, on the server, I don't seen any spikes or unusual activity to indicate a strain on the server. Of course, I'm no expert on such things so I could be seeing something and not understand what it's telling me. 

Archiving (almost 700,000 posts), alleviated the issue but created this new (to us) issue. 

Unarchiving may be the only solution. I'm about to upgrade from 4.4.10 to the latest edition. If I upgrade before unarchiving (if that's my choice), should I do it before the upgrade? Would the upgrade prevent me from unarchiving after the upgrade is done?

3 minutes ago, VaBeach_Guy said:

Unarchiving may be the only solution. I'm about to upgrade from 4.4.10 to the latest edition. If I upgrade before unarchiving (if that's my choice), should I do it before the upgrade? Would the upgrade prevent me from unarchiving after the upgrade is done?

Unarchiving is ran as a background task in order to not bring down your community/server. This would continue either way. It may be more efficient on the latest release just because 4.4 is quite some time ago 🙂 . I would upgrade then unarchive, personally. Though, it shouldn't really matter.

28 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Unarchiving is ran as a background task in order to not bring down your community/server. This would continue either way. It may be more efficient on the latest release just because 4.4 is quite some time ago 🙂 . I would upgrade then unarchive, personally. Though, it shouldn't really matter.

Thanks, my concern was that maybe something may have changed and unarchiving wouldn't be possible after the upgrade. 

If I do unarchive, those posts can't be re-archived in the future? I believe I saw that somewhere.

You can turn it on/off as you see fit.  So you could have it off, and turn it on....  then decide to turn it off for a year...  then come back and enable it again.  (This time even changing where the data is stored theoretically.)

Now... again, it does not happen instantly.  It can take days/weeks to complete depending on how many topics need to be changed and how busy your board is.  So it's not something to just randomly change every few hours.  

2 hours ago, Randy Calvert said:

You can turn it on/off as you see fit.  So you could have it off, and turn it on....  then decide to turn it off for a year...  then come back and enable it again.  (This time even changing where the data is stored theoretically.)

Now... again, it does not happen instantly.  It can take days/weeks to complete depending on how many topics need to be changed and how busy your board is.  So it's not something to just randomly change every few hours.  

I found what I'd read:

Could contain: Text

It's when I try to unarchive an individual thread, I get that message. I archived it in a place where I don't want it, so I was going to unarchive it to move it into the correct place. Not a real big deal, but I'd rather have it in its proper place. 

2 minutes ago, VaBeach_Guy said:

I found what I'd read:

Could contain: Text

It's when I try to unarchive an individual thread, I get that message. I archived it in a place where I don't want it, so I was going to unarchive it to move it into the correct place. Not a real big deal, but I'd rather have it in its proper place. 

Correct. Unarchiving a topic manually is a different process so can only be done once and you cannot archive it again.

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

It copies it to a pages database of your choosing.

You would need to give it time. It will unarchive eventually

It's been more than a month. It is a fairly large thread, at least for my board. 1137 pages, 27,200+ replies, 1.2 Million views.

Is a month normal, or is that abnormal? 

8 hours ago, VaBeach_Guy said:

It's been more than a month. It is a fairly large thread, at least for my board. 1137 pages, 27,200+ replies, 1.2 Million views.

Is a month normal, or is that abnormal? 

Before we continue is this the only topic, or are there others that are also not unarchived?

Also, could you provide a link to this?

11 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Before we continue is this the only topic, or are there others that are also not unarchived?

Also, could you provide a link to this?

Just that individual thread, which the member who started it, has since been banned so that thread shows as hidden. So it's hidden and archived. 

12 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

We would need a link to that topic also

That was a weird situation, maybe because it was hidden. But unhiding it seems to have done the trick and unarchived it also so I was able to do what I wanted to do. 

A new situation though, which isn't a huge issue but an small annoyance. I have a specific sub-forum where I move threads to archive them. I moved a new 1500+ page thread into that forum yesterday (Feb 14). It's showing that the last post made was January 1st even though the last post was Feb 14th. 

All of the pages are there and it's all archived, but why would that 'last post' indicator be that far off?

17 minutes ago, VaBeach_Guy said:

That was a weird situation, maybe because it was hidden. But unhiding it seems to have done the trick and unarchived it also so I was able to do what I wanted to do. 

A new situation though, which isn't a huge issue but an small annoyance. I have a specific sub-forum where I move threads to archive them. I moved a new 1500+ page thread into that forum yesterday (Feb 14). It's showing that the last post made was January 1st even though the last post was Feb 14th. 

All of the pages are there and it's all archived, but why would that 'last post' indicator be that far off?

All of these posts are visible and not hidden? Have you tried rebuilding your search index? (ACP -> System -> Search -> Rebuild Search Index)