Please upgrade before 1 July 2022. After that date, your site will be automatically!

13 hours ago, Stuart Silvester said:

We're updating some of our Cloud infrastructure and it won't be compatible with 4.5.

What is broken between 4.5 and 4.6? I highly doubt that AWS made an infrastructure change that would break 4.5.

Forcing an upgrade on your customers is nothing short of reckless IMO. You have pinned me against the wall; I now face a $15k to $20k price tag to upgrade/test a comprehensive custom plugin. 

5 hours ago, guyroch said:

What is broken between 4.5 and 4.6? I highly doubt that AWS made an infrastructure change that would break 4.5.

Forcing an upgrade on your customers is nothing short of reckless IMO. You have pinned me against the wall; I now face a $15k to $20k price tag to upgrade/test a comprehensive custom plugin. 

It has nothing to do with AWS.  It has to do with the software IPS has deployed running their cloud.

They can’t keep running old software forever because you don’t want to upgrade. 

If staying on an old version is important, it might make more sense to self host. 

10 hours ago, guyroch said:

As mentioned above, this has little to do with AWS and more to do with keeping our cloud platform up to date. At some point we do have to stop supporting older versions. If you are running custom items you have had developed, you really should be accounting for the fact that these will have to be kept up to date alongside the platform.

It needs to be noted that there have been 12 releases, including one feature release, and even a security related release since 4.5. Whether we were updating our infrastructure or otherwise, you really should be thinking about upgrading. 

10 hours ago, guyroch said:

Security updates for PHP 7.4 come to an end this year, we're going to be moving to a newer version of PHP and Invision Community 4.5 will simply not work with newer PHP versions.

As noted above, it's important to keep up with security related updates and patches. We're doing our part to make sure that is happening, and you should also want to make sure you're using our latest releases to make sure that you're also up to date with any fixes.

30 minutes ago, Stuart Silvester said:

Security updates for PHP 7.4 come to an end this year

Blimey! That's come around quick. 🤔

I tried PHP8 but 4.6 didn't like it at all, but I think in retrospect that was more likely down to Apache not happy running both 7.4 and 8 (in terms of some PHP extensions for both).

10 minutes ago, The Old Man said:

I tried PHP8 but 4.6 didn't like it at all, but I think in retrospect that was more likely down to Apache not happy running both 7.4 and 8 (in terms of some PHP extensions for both).

Make sure it wasnt 8.1 . We havent released compatibility for that yet, so that may have been your issue

51 minutes ago, The Old Man said:

Yep! PHP are far more strict with support timelines than they used to be when PHP 5 was around. It's for the better too, it enables new features to be available a little bit quicker. Obviously, we need to write the code to be compatible with the lowest supported version so it isn't always possible to use the latest constructs and features.

https://www.php.net/supported-versions.php

50 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Make sure it wasnt 8.1 . We havent released compatibility for that yet, so that may have been your issue

Thanks Marc, it was 8.0.something.

9 minutes ago, Stuart Silvester said:

Yep! PHP are far more strict with support timelines than they used to be when PHP 5 was around. It's for the better too, it enables new features to be available a little bit quicker. Obviously, we need to write the code to be compatible with the lowest supported version so it isn't always possible to use the latest constructs and features.

https://www.php.net/supported-versions.php

Absolutely.

58 minutes ago, Sonya* said:

I have upgraded all my 4.6 projects to 8.0.17. No issues at all. 🤨

Good to know, thanks. Were you running more than 1 version of PHP? I had to maintain 7.4 with 8.0 for a huge non-IPS site.