Jump to content

IOS photos are uploaded upside down


Guy Shimon
 Share

Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

Recommended Posts

Thanks for working this IPS! Unfortunately, I upgraded today and the issue persists. I've tried ImageMagick and GD, both won't flip the images in question. I've taken some new photos on iOS to test with and they also do not orientate correctly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, autumnwalker said:

Thanks for working this IPS! Unfortunately, I upgraded today and the issue persists. I've tried ImageMagick and GD, both won't flip the images in question. I've taken some new photos on iOS to test with and they also do not orientate correctly.

Please see if you can replicate on our site, and also provide the images zipped if you can

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Photo uploads correctly here in the test forum - but it wasn't an issue here before 4.6.12 either.

There is something about the way iOS / even android mobile devices upload photos on a number of your customer's self-hosted installs that is different than this server (and some customer servers since 4.6.12).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/8/2022 at 5:29 PM, autumnwalker said:

I'm using the same photo that I have already provided via messages on the forum.

As mentioned previously, those are HEIC files you have sent over, but where you show them uploaded on your site they are jpegs with no exif data. So its losing the data we need to rotate those before we get the file. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Marc.

Per my and others previous posts - those HEIC files are converted on iOS device before being uploaded to the server. I provided you the purest source file I could so you could replicate / test. When I upload that HEIC file from my iPhone to this forum the iOS device converts to JPG and IPB rotates appropriately. When I upload that file to my forum the iOS device converts to JPG and IPB does not rotate it.

It's not just my board, others reported it too; Invision acknowledged it and released a fix. Since the 4.6.12 fix myself and others are still reporting the issue so it is not resolved.

Happy for it to be an issue on my server, but it's not just me reporting. IPB says my server meets requirements. EXIF is loaded.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, autumnwalker said:

Thanks Marc.

Per my and others previous posts - those HEIC files are converted on iOS device before being uploaded to the server. I provided you the purest source file I could so you could replicate / test. When I upload that HEIC file from my iPhone to this forum the iOS device converts to JPG and IPB rotates appropriately. When I upload that file to my forum the iOS device converts to JPG and IPB does not rotate it.

It's not just my board, others reported it too; Invision acknowledged it and released a fix. Since the 4.6.12 fix myself and others are still reporting the issue so it is not resolved.

Happy for it to be an issue on my server, but it's not just me reporting. IPB says my server meets requirements. EXIF is loaded.

The problem is that the resizer tool in iOS strips the Exif data so it isn't present with the image when it is uploaded.

General consensus (which matches our findings) is that it's an iOS bug that hasn't been fixed in many years (since the conversion tool was introduced)

Unfortunately, there isn't anything we can do about this specific issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Stuart. 

I am unclear why 4.6.12 fixed the issue for some users, but not others if this is an iOS problem. 

I understand that it could be an iOS problem; however we also have an Android user reporting what seems to be a similar issue. 

IPS also said it was a problem with my server before later deciding there was a software fix / update which did solve the problem for some clients.

Unless the other clients with this problem have the same server build that I do, the only common thread here is IPS.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, autumnwalker said:

Thanks Stuart. 

I am unclear why 4.6.12 fixed the issue for some users, but not others if this is an iOS problem. 

I understand that it could be an iOS problem; however we also have an Android user reporting what seems to be a similar issue. 

IPS also said it was a problem with my server before later deciding there was a software fix / update which did solve the problem for some clients.

Unless the other clients with this problem have the same server build that I do, the only common thread here is IPS.

There were 2 issues caused by an iOS update. One of these we were able to work around (it was not actually a bug our side), however one is not possible to work around as the exif data is not present. If you are having issues with some android ones, please try to replicate that here. Also please provide the zipped android image

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2021 at 6:43 AM, Jim M said:

ACP -> System -> Support -> System Check (top right). Will list all installed extensions in green and as EXIF is optional if you do not have it installed should be in grey.

I'm having a hard time finding this, I know ACP is admin control panel, I don't see how I find system, I see icons but no names, So I assume it's the gears, then I see nothing labeled support, I do see get support, so under there I don't see system check. I did a Ctl+F on the page and don't see anything.

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Mark Spieker said:

I'm having a hard time finding this, I know ACP is admin control panel, I don't see how I find system, I see icons but no names, So I assume it's the gears, then I see nothing labeled support, I do see get support, so under there I don't see system check. I did a Ctl+F on the page and don't see anything.

Thanks

In 4.6, you will want to click the Support button in the top right. The PHP area on the Support dashboard will now tell you what modules you're missing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...