IOS photos are uploaded upside down

Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

1 hour ago, autumnwalker said:

Thanks for working this IPS! Unfortunately, I upgraded today and the issue persists. I've tried ImageMagick and GD, both won't flip the images in question. I've taken some new photos on iOS to test with and they also do not orientate correctly.

Please see if you can replicate on our site, and also provide the images zipped if you can

Photo uploads correctly here in the test forum - but it wasn't an issue here before 4.6.12 either.

There is something about the way iOS / even android mobile devices upload photos on a number of your customer's self-hosted installs that is different than this server (and some customer servers since 4.6.12).

On 4/8/2022 at 5:29 PM, autumnwalker said:

I'm using the same photo that I have already provided via messages on the forum.

As mentioned previously, those are HEIC files you have sent over, but where you show them uploaded on your site they are jpegs with no exif data. So its losing the data we need to rotate those before we get the file. 

Thanks Marc.

Per my and others previous posts - those HEIC files are converted on iOS device before being uploaded to the server. I provided you the purest source file I could so you could replicate / test. When I upload that HEIC file from my iPhone to this forum the iOS device converts to JPG and IPB rotates appropriately. When I upload that file to my forum the iOS device converts to JPG and IPB does not rotate it.

It's not just my board, others reported it too; Invision acknowledged it and released a fix. Since the 4.6.12 fix myself and others are still reporting the issue so it is not resolved.

Happy for it to be an issue on my server, but it's not just me reporting. IPB says my server meets requirements. EXIF is loaded.

10 minutes ago, autumnwalker said:

Thanks Marc.

Per my and others previous posts - those HEIC files are converted on iOS device before being uploaded to the server. I provided you the purest source file I could so you could replicate / test. When I upload that HEIC file from my iPhone to this forum the iOS device converts to JPG and IPB rotates appropriately. When I upload that file to my forum the iOS device converts to JPG and IPB does not rotate it.

It's not just my board, others reported it too; Invision acknowledged it and released a fix. Since the 4.6.12 fix myself and others are still reporting the issue so it is not resolved.

Happy for it to be an issue on my server, but it's not just me reporting. IPB says my server meets requirements. EXIF is loaded.

The problem is that the resizer tool in iOS strips the Exif data so it isn't present with the image when it is uploaded.

General consensus (which matches our findings) is that it's an iOS bug that hasn't been fixed in many years (since the conversion tool was introduced)

Unfortunately, there isn't anything we can do about this specific issue.

Thanks Stuart. 

I am unclear why 4.6.12 fixed the issue for some users, but not others if this is an iOS problem. 

I understand that it could be an iOS problem; however we also have an Android user reporting what seems to be a similar issue. 

IPS also said it was a problem with my server before later deciding there was a software fix / update which did solve the problem for some clients.

Unless the other clients with this problem have the same server build that I do, the only common thread here is IPS.

10 minutes ago, autumnwalker said:

Thanks Stuart. 

I am unclear why 4.6.12 fixed the issue for some users, but not others if this is an iOS problem. 

I understand that it could be an iOS problem; however we also have an Android user reporting what seems to be a similar issue. 

IPS also said it was a problem with my server before later deciding there was a software fix / update which did solve the problem for some clients.

Unless the other clients with this problem have the same server build that I do, the only common thread here is IPS.

There were 2 issues caused by an iOS update. One of these we were able to work around (it was not actually a bug our side), however one is not possible to work around as the exif data is not present. If you are having issues with some android ones, please try to replicate that here. Also please provide the zipped android image

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2021 at 6:43 AM, Jim M said:

ACP -> System -> Support -> System Check (top right). Will list all installed extensions in green and as EXIF is optional if you do not have it installed should be in grey.

I'm having a hard time finding this, I know ACP is admin control panel, I don't see how I find system, I see icons but no names, So I assume it's the gears, then I see nothing labeled support, I do see get support, so under there I don't see system check. I did a Ctl+F on the page and don't see anything.

Thanks

21 minutes ago, Mark Spieker said:

I'm having a hard time finding this, I know ACP is admin control panel, I don't see how I find system, I see icons but no names, So I assume it's the gears, then I see nothing labeled support, I do see get support, so under there I don't see system check. I did a Ctl+F on the page and don't see anything.

Thanks

In 4.6, you will want to click the Support button in the top right. The PHP area on the Support dashboard will now tell you what modules you're missing.

• 2 months later...

Circling back on this - I just installed a fresh Ubuntu 22.04 server and have a test forum up and running. Uploading the same image and it is not rotating.

I can successfully rotate it from CLI. 

I noticed that when I view exif data from CLI it indicates exif version 2.21 on photo. phpinfo indicates support for version 220 which I understand equates to 2.20.

Does hosted IPB have a php compiled that supports a newer version of exif data?

Further testing ... if I set "Maximum image dimensions to save" to unlimited it seems to work regardless of HEIC ("high efficiency") or JPEG ("most compatible") setting on iOS.

I've tested with the original "wheel" photo and I've tested with a number of photos I have taken myself. Every time I try on my vanilla Ubuntu 22.04 install with maximum dimensions set to "unlimited" in IPS it works. Every time I restrict the max dimensions in IPS it fails.

Edited by autumnwalker

• 2 weeks later...

Invision Community - any further thoughts on this? I can reproduce when I set max image dimensions to save in the IBP settings. I believe that eliminates an issue with the resizing that happens in iOS, right? If max image dimensions are off and the "resized" and HEIC > JPEG conversion is done in iOS the photo rotates correctly. If IPB does a resize then the image rotates incorrectly.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/5/2022 at 3:24 PM, Marc Stridgen said:

This issue has been resolved in 4.6.12, which has just been release. Please let us know if you still have any issues once you have upgraded to that release.

I still have the problem in two different communities running on two different InvisionCommunity versions (4.6.12.1 / 4.7.1)

• EXIF installed (checked via PHPInfo)
  • ImageMagick
  • JPEG files (attached as ZIP file)

Upload works fine here in the test forum, images are rotated by 90° when uploaded to my communities.

Info in Mac Preview says:

Orientation: 8 (rotated 90° clockwise)

Any idea?

Andreas

Could contain: Text

portrait.zip

On 9/2/2022 at 9:31 AM, NZyan said:

I still have the problem in two different communities running on two different InvisionCommunity versions (4.6.12.1 / 4.7.1)

• EXIF installed (checked via PHPInfo)
  • ImageMagick
  • JPEG files (attached as ZIP file)

Upload works fine here in the test forum, images are rotated by 90° when uploaded to my communities.

Info in Mac Preview says:

Orientation: 8 (rotated 90° clockwise)

Any idea?

Andreas

Could contain: Text

portrait.zip 2.72 MB · 0 downloads

When you say on 2 different communities, is this also on 2 different servers?

Just now, Marc Stridgen said:

When you say on 2 different communities, is this also on 2 different servers?

Yes, two different servers, same hosting provider, same configuration.

One more detail:

I tried to upload the images here in the forum and the images were NOT rotated.

So it must be something in my configuration somewhere.

Andreas