IOS photos are uploaded upside down

Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

We're experiencing this on our forum to, regardless of GD or ImageMagick being enabled and verified as running in phpinfo. This just used to to work but now photos taken on an iPhone in portrait mode uploads 90 degrees off, however the same photos uploaded to Invision's test forum are correctly aligned. Uploading the same photos to our forum from iCloud on a Windows PC also works. 

I'm confused, any advise on where to start troubleshooting would be highly appreciated.

Edited by Navigare

2 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

While I can certainly see that on your screenshot there, it seems it is not working on your server

I hear you.. I wrote a small exif php and I'm getting exif information from the server but I clearly is missing something obvious but just can't figure out what.

It's only when uploading 'natively' from an iPhone I can reproduce this issue in our forum, if I transfer the file to a windows machine via cable, e-mail or iCloud the photo will upload with the correct rotation. And, as I wrote before, in your test forum it uploads correctly so there is something in our end but right now I'm clueless. 😞 

1 hour ago, Navigare said:

I hear you.. I wrote a small exif php and I'm getting exif information from the server but I clearly is missing something obvious but just can't figure out what.

It's only when uploading 'natively' from an iPhone I can reproduce this issue in our forum, if I transfer the file to a windows machine via cable, e-mail or iCloud the photo will upload with the correct rotation. And, as I wrote before, in your test forum it uploads correctly so there is something in our end but right now I'm clueless. 😞 

I would recommend reaching out to your hosting provider or if you are self-managed, reaching out to a server administrator for assistance. Unfortunately, as this is a server issue rather than software, we are limited in our assistance.

On 3/1/2022 at 12:50 AM, Marc Stridgen said:

If exif data is stripped, that would indeed happen, yes. This is because that is where the orientation data is kept. This said however, it would not explain the heic/jpg part of this. Also they are being uploaded here on our own community with the same issue

On 3/8/2022 at 12:27 PM, autumnwalker said:

Tried turning off the strip EXIF data on my board - issue persists. @crmarks if you disable on your board does it resolve the issue?

@Marc Stridgen iOS is doing the HEIC conversion. When I attempt to upload the same photo from macOS it does not convert the file. When I attempt on my iOS device it converts to .jpeg.

On 3/8/2022 at 4:02 PM, Emediate said:

We've been chasing this problem down for some time too. I agree it's definitely HEIC and iPhone related.

Can you tell me where you found that setting to strip EXIF data please?

This is happening to iPhone users on my forum as well, on Invision’s hosting. I disabled exif data stripping from my ACP, but the issue remains either way. 

A recent iOS update must be the culprit? The orientation data is lost when iOS converts from heic to jpg for web compatibility. 

1 hour ago, crmarks said:

This is happening to iPhone users on my forum as well, on Invision’s hosting. I disabled exif data stripping from my ACP, but the issue remains either way. 

A recent iOS update must be the culprit? The orientation data is lost when iOS converts from heic to jpg for web compatibility. 

This may well be the case. If there is no EXIF data there would be nothing for us to read. Have you tried it elsewhere with the same device, such as facebook for example?

I had this issue awhile back but discovered that it was more than likely the orientation of my phone. I only discovered this when I uploaded those same images to my computer and realized they were also upside down and sideways. I reoriented them and tried uploading them to my site and they were fine.

15 hours ago, My Sharona said:

I had this issue awhile back but discovered that it was more than likely the orientation of my phone. I only discovered this when I uploaded those same images to my computer and realized they were also upside down and sideways. I reoriented them and tried uploading them to my site and they were fine.

This is exactly what I said.

I see the server can grab the info, but as above, if it's not there, it can't tell what to do...

On 2/4/2021 at 4:54 PM, Dean_ said:

Issue:
It's something I've had to explain to my members time and time again. Let's say you're in portrait mode and then quickly turn the phone to landscape and take a picture. If you look at the screen, you'll notice the words/details on the screen are not at the right orientation. I still get caught out by this on my iPhone 8 and iPhone XS Max at times.

Fix:
So, if I have taken the picture, and I've noticed it's sideways when uploading, I simply go to Photo's, edit the picture and rotate it once, save it and then rotate it again until it's in the correct orientation and then save it. Now when I go to upload it, the photo is facing the correct way. This issue has been around a very long time. It's even worse when the phone is actually upside down (buttons on the bottom of the phone) as you don't realise you've turned it this way and go to take a picture.

As above, I honestly still get caught out by this. Especially, when I try to take a quick photo.

I'm still having this issue, reinstalled php (7.4), EXIF, GD and ImageMagick package with the same poor result. EXIF information comes through but image is rotated. An interesting side note is that if the user crop the (iOS) image before upload the rotation is correct. 

2 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

We would need an example of this in order to take a look. Is it one specific user having the issue there?

Not sure if it's helpful downloading examples from our site and then reuploading here. Else let me know and I can link you to the originals.

20220407_120432_HDR.jpg.5457419b92f491cf2c07a548c3982099.jpg

20220407_120501_HDR.jpg.209bb9eff82fce6ef5cb7bee3d03a5fb.jpg

20220407_120535_HDR.jpg.121b4bfa5807fcb780901877e6177121.jpg