IOS photos are uploaded upside down

Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

• 3 months later...

I'm not sure if the soft does actually fix the above issue but, the main reason this happens is that people don't allow the camera to change its orientation before taking a picture.

It's something I've had to explain to my members time and time again. Let's say you're in portrait mode and then quickly turn the phone to landscape and take a picture. If you look at the screen you'll notice the words/details on the screen are not at the right orientation. I still get caught out by this on my iPhone 8 and iPhone XS Max at times.

So, if I have taken the picture and I've noticed it's sideways when uploading, I simply go to Photo's, edit the picture and rotate it once, save it and then rotate it again until it's in the correct orientation and then save it. Now when I go to upload it, the photo is facing the correct way. This issue has been around a very long time. It's even worse when the phone is actually upside down (buttons on the bottom of the phone) as you don't realise you've turned it this way and go to take a picture.

I hope this helps others who face this issue as it's not IPS's software that is at fault. ☺️

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
20 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

I can tell you only that its exif which actually rotates these correctly. Are you able to replicate the problem here in the test area?

Not sure what you mean re: recreate in test area - try to upload the images here?

Is there something I need to do to have IPB rotate the photos after they have been uploaded? I'm modifying php config and want to see if it has fixed exif.

3 minutes ago, autumnwalker said:

I'll ask the member if they can zip / send me the photo. They are taking and uploading with an iPhone 12 so they may not be able to zip it.

No problem. If its not being rotated, its very likely the photo itself. Also ask them to upload elsewhere and see if it shows the correct way.