IOS photos are uploaded upside down

Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

While I appreciate what you're saying here, there is nothing natively in our software that would convert HEIC to JPEG. Therefore, what we are trying to get across is this may be the root of your issue. Whomever is uploading this image is either converting this before upload or you have something third party which is performing this. Each of these may be creating your issue.

If you have a non-HEIC image which is having this issue, please provide us that image and we can investigate.

Thanks @Jim M. I've asked the user what they are using to upload the image.

There is nothing 3rd party on the board that I am aware of - pretty much vanilla aside from a tweak to the theme header and apparently the editor according to the support page in the Admin CP (although I'm not sure what that customization is ...).

1348750059_ScreenShot2022-02-23at2_39_16PM.thumb.png.fe346c1ae2603334e09fbcca48564b02.png

The server itself is vanilla Ubuntu with the recommended software and php-extensions installed as per the documentation when I set this server up a couple of years ago. There shouldn't be anything on the server side that is converting the HEIC to JPEG; at least nothing I've configured.

3 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Most likely the user converted the HEIC to a JPEG then if there is nothing third party you are aware of. Tried to test this on your community but the credentials are not valid but of course, you can test this by uploading the HEIC file.

Want me to create credentials for you?

I just tested using the HEIC image that I included in the zip. It's upside down on IPB.

I downloaded the HEIC from Mail to Photos on my iPhone. It appears "right side up" on the iOS device.

I used Microsoft Edge on the iPhone to access the board and upload the image - it's upside down.

I didn't convert. I didn't rotate. I just clicked "add files", "photo library", selected the image (which appeared right side up), clicked "add" and then posted. It appeared upside down when uploaded.

Interesting. I just did the same process here using the same device and browser (iOS 15 / Edge) and it uploaded in the correct orientation.

5 minutes ago, autumnwalker said:

I just tested using the HEIC image that I included in the zip. It's upside down on IPB.

I downloaded the HEIC from Mail to Photos on my iPhone. It appears "right side up" on the iOS device.

I used Microsoft Edge on the iPhone to access the board and upload the image - it's upside down.

I didn't convert. I didn't rotate. I just clicked "add files", "photo library", selected the image (which appeared right side up), clicked "add" and then posted. It appeared upside down when uploaded.

Is it being uploaded as a JPEG? Something in your process is converting it as when I upload the file you provided it us. It is remaining as a HEIC as seen here:

image.png

Nothing I'm willfully doing is converting it. I'm just using the UI on the iPhone (via web browser) to select a photo from "photo library" and upload it. 

It is converting to JPEG somewhere ... but I don't know where / why.

What's odd is your board did it too (in the test forum), but it oriented it correctly.

Edited by autumnwalker

31 minutes ago, autumnwalker said:

Nothing I'm willfully doing is converting it. I'm just using the UI on the iPhone (via web browser) to select a photo from "photo library" and upload it. 

It is converting to JPEG somewhere ... but I don't know where / why.

What's odd is your board did it too (in the test forum), but it oriented it correctly.

Please ensure you are uploading a HEIC if you have more than one file in your file storage.

The only file I have is the HEIC.

I just installed / switched to ImageMagick and it has the same behaviour. 

If I upload the HEIC to my board from my MacBook it uploads as an HEIC file.

If I upload to my board via my iPhone / iOS something converts it to a JPEG and keeps it upside down.

If I upload to this board via my iPhone / iOS something converts it to a JPEG and orients it correctly.

The HEIC, unfortunately, is an anomaly that I cannot reproduce even on my iPhone. However, let's try to take that out of our investigation for the time being, do you have any other image which is natively a JPG, PNG, etc... which is also having this issue?

I have a funny feeling safari uploads HEIC photos (the default format) in compatibility mode which results in it being a jpeg that gets submitted from the phone. There is a setting FYI in settings->photos which can force it to transfer the heic or automatically convert to a compatible format when transferring using cable etc which used to be default on. Also the camera app settings in Settings can also be set to use either High Efficiency format (heic) or Most Compatible when taking photos, I think HEIC is the default now.

iCloud photos also converts HEIC stuff uploaded to jpeg unless you use download options for force the real files to be downloaded.

Also it appears safari strips metadata when uploading but when I have been testing it myself it *appears* to leave the orientation field.

I used https://www.ezyzip.com/ to upload the image directly from photos using safari to get a copy of the convertered heic -> jpeg that safari sends to the webserver and downloaded the zip to icloud drive before opening and viewing the exif info.

Sorry for getting involved with this thread, I am just looking for quirks my end before users ask. I have a rotated HEIC file which works fine when uploaded using safari on my ios 15.3.1 phone and does rotate properly based on the exif data safari retains.

Edited by sudo

13 hours ago, autumnwalker said:

I need to pic up on this part as this is important. We do not convert the file to another format. It can only be being done by the device. There is simply no function in the platform at all that does this. I would say however, if our site is orienting it correctly, the only place than can be an issue there is unfortunately the server its run on

10 hours ago, sudo said:

Sorry for getting involved with this thread, I am just looking for quirks my end before users ask. I have a rotated HEIC file which works fine when uploaded using safari on my ios 15.3.1 phone and does rotate properly based on the exif data safari retains.

Do you mind sharing details about your server? Versions, etc.? I'm wondering if it's an issue in a version of the software on my server causing this?

3 hours ago, autumnwalker said:

Tried turning off the strip EXIF data on my board

We've been chasing this problem down for some time too. I agree it's definitely HEIC and iPhone related.

Can you tell me where you found that setting to strip EXIF data please?

The issue here it seems is that your phone is stripping the EXIF data. This being the case, there isnt anything at all that the software can do to correct this issue. 

9 hours ago, Emediate said:

We've been chasing this problem down for some time too. I agree it's definitely HEIC and iPhone related.

Can you tell me where you found that setting to strip EXIF data please?

The setting for this is in System>Overview>Files>Image settings when using ImageMagick