Why no widget block for custom HTML or Text

RocketStang

35 minutes ago, RocketStang said:

Why isn't there a custom widget block for adding random things to your sidebar like HTML and text?  I was able to add a plugin to do it but I really think this should be a core feature.  I don't have Pages so I am not able to use page builder widgets either.

There’s one as part of the IP. Pages application. 

13 minutes ago, Joy Rex said:

@RocketStang There is an addon that provides this:

I got it...just wish there was a core feature for that exact same thing.  I try to keep my forum running with as little3rd party plugins as possible to make it easier to upgrade but it is getting harder and harder because there are so many cool plugins and apps that I want to run! 

1 hour ago, bfarber said:

The Pages application is designed to allow you an easier way to create custom pages, layouts, blocks and so on.

We know, and we don't need it all. At all 🙂
The only thing we need is a widget where we could use HTML. It has to be a core functionality. It's logical and obvious.

It's a weird way to try selling the "Pages" app. It causes distrust and disappointment, not sales. 😥

Please, discuss it internally. I'm sure the Pages app will not suffer from moving such a small feature to a more logical place - the core.

Edited by Mr 13

• 1 year later...
On 8/7/2020 at 4:12 PM, bfarber said:

The Pages application is designed to allow you an easier way to create custom pages, layouts, blocks and so on. If you need more advanced widgets to build out your pages, then the Pages application is probably what you should look at.

@bfarber Are you just a client and not IPS team member now ?......

Screenshot 2021-11-06 at 19.29.23.png

Edited by Muddy Boots

After the installation click on the pencil and activate the plugin. Then open the sidebar in the frontend and search for PHP & TXT Widget. It contains two cards you can drag and drop in the availiable positions of your page. Now simply click on edit and enter whatever you want. That's all, see screenshot ...

widget.thumb.png.2af48f27ea04d82ff36edd1b0fea0086.png