Connections (Support Topic)

Just now, Semenedar said:

Location is get automatic, or user must set these location first?

Users are prompted to set the location when accessing the feature or when editing their profile.

If you are using mapbox they can either use an autocomplete nearest city input or a geolocate button on the map. If you’re using google maps there is an autocomplete nearest city input. 

7 minutes ago, Andy Millne said:

Users are prompted to set the location when accessing the feature or when editing their profile.

Is it possible to do, - to force users to complete this field? Until they complete it, they can't do anything else. For me it's very important. People are lazy and so many of them won't do it if they don't have to.

1 minute ago, Semenedar said:

Is it possible to do, - to force users to complete this field? Until they complete it, they can't do anything else. For me it's very important. People are lazy and so many of them won't do it if they don't have to.

Not currently. But I will be adding a profile completion step very shortly that could be set as required. 

11 hours ago, Andy Millne said:

If you’re using google maps there is an autocomplete nearest city input. 

One more presale question 🙂 "autocomplete nearest city input". Does this mean that Users do not have to fill this field themselves, manually? It fills in automatically and points to the nearest city in the case of Google Maps? If so, that's exactly what I want.

6 minutes ago, Semenedar said:

One more presale question 🙂 "autocomplete nearest city input". Does this mean that Users do not have to fill this field themselves, manually? It fills in automatically and points to the nearest city in the case of Google Maps? If so, that's exactly what I want.

On google maps they will need to start typing the place name and it will autocomplete after 2 characters.

with mapbox they can either start typing or they can click the geolocate button and it will find the nearest town/city based on their device location automatically. 

24 minutes ago, Andy Millne said:

On google maps they will need to start typing

Thank you for your answer.

I already understand that Users must start writing in this field and until they do this their location is not given.

Note, that when Users register, then their location in the ACP Panel is already determined based on the IP Address. It is known that this is not an exact location and may be incorrect. It would be great if Users after registration had already filled in the location field in Your add-on, with this data. They could change dynamically with every last used IP address.

An example of the "Set location based on IP Address?" Button, where Admin would decide whether Users must fill this field themselves, whether editing is not available and the location is based on the IP addresses used.

Regards,
Adam.

12 minutes ago, Semenedar said:

An example of the "Set location based on IP Address?" Button, where Admin would decide whether Users must fill this field themselves, whether editing is not available and the location is based on the IP addresses used.

Ah i see what you mean, thanks. I will think on this some more. Aside from the accuracy issues that could make the results less useful I’m not sure it’s sensible from a privacy point of view. It’s one thing to display this to admin users it’s another to use the data to tailor results shown to other users.

It may be possible to present the info to the user and ask them to confirm if it’s correct giving them a chance to opt out but then you may as well just ask for the info.

I believe making location required or otherwise adding functionality to encourage users to fill it in is a better approach. 

26 minutes ago, Andy Millne said:

Ah i see what you mean, thanks. I will think on this some more. Aside from the accuracy issues that could make the results less useful I’m not sure it’s sensible from a privacy point of view. It’s one thing to display this to admin users it’s another to use the data to tailor results shown to other users.

I mean approximate location. Users do not need to see the IP Address. ONLY DISTANCE between Users is given, for example 25 kilometers. This makes sense with the "People near me" option. What about the fact that the User will enter the location manually, since he will later move to other places and will not change the data regarding his location, because he will be too lazy or will not remember it. Privacy? I do not think so. All you need is a button in the Profile Settings  "Don't show my location". Something like "Tinder APP". 

It may be possible to present the info to the user and ask them to confirm if it’s correct giving them a chance to opt out but then you may as well just ask for the info.

Yes, but if the option discussed here could be done, and if Admin decided that the User's location is always the last IP Adress used by him, then the function of completing this field does not make sense.

I believe making location required or otherwise adding functionality to encourage users to fill it in is a better approach.

This is the minimum option. But then the "People Near Me" option is a bit of a fiction when Users themselves determine where they are. Either way, I think it's a great add-on and you'll definitely find a balance between location options.

Edited by Semenedar
8 hours ago, Andy Millne said:

I've played around with the new release of Connections and, like others above, I would rather be more aggressive on the location-sharingto have it auto-suggested and auto-enabled by default.  

Some thoughts:

1. Location sharing only becomes useful if a critical mass of users enable the future since it depends on network effects.  Right now, it is opt-in, tucked away in a sub-menu of the app, tucked away in the Connections app, tucked away in its own menu item, almost no one is going to enable it.  You really need everyone to have it turned on by default, which is why I think there should be an ACP option to have location sharing enabled by default as a choice for Admins. 
    1. If location sharing is enabled in the ACP, I do believe there should be warning message to Admins they have the responsibility to disclose the extent and type of location sharing in their Terms of Use.  I can definitely see some retail boards turning it on and accidentally exposing everyone's location on accident.  
  2. There are different levels of location sharing you can consider: none, enabled with anonymous location, enabled with disclosed location.  I believe 'anonymized' location sharing would be an appropriate default, since it still allows users to see who is nearby without disclosing the actual, specific locations on the front-end.  

Core ideas for member discovery:

• When a new member joins, all registered members within X distance get a notification.  
  • After you give X (positive) reactions to the same member, you get a trigger to follow the user.  
  • Notification every X week to recommend new people to follow. 
  • Hovercard add follow button.   

App ideas for member discovery

• If user starts a private or shared Album and Blog, suggest his strongest connections
  • On Club index or Club member page, suggest clubs or highlight followers who joined the club
  • Topic Summary add a note that says something like "This post is popular with people you follow like Dwight, Pam, and Jim."  OR "This post is popular with people who follow you like Angela, Andy, and Toby."  That would dramatically enrich the value of the topic.  

Hi,

I have just upgraded and when I click the People Near You I am getting:

[[Template connections/front/connections/connectionsNear is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I have tested in default theme and have run the support tool

Is it because we also have these plugins installed?

Member Map

Member Location

On the main connections page I see two settings for miles so I guess one is for yours as they all show 0 miles and the other ones shows the correct mileage distance

We have lots of people using member location so need to keep that running if there is a conflict?

We are also using google maps as the enhancement

Edited by Unlucky
27 minutes ago, Unlucky said:

Hi,

I have just upgraded and when I click the People Near You I am getting:

[[Template connections/front/connections/connectionsNear is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

This sounds like a bug, please send me a PM with an admin login and I can look into it.

27 minutes ago, Unlucky said:

We have lots of people using member location so need to keep that running if there is a conflict?

Both should work together but I wouldn't advise it. Looking into the member location plugin the only thing it adds not included with connections is the ability to filter by distance on the member search form. If you need assistance converting the existing data I can do that.

2 minutes ago, breatheheavy said:

However, when I go to select my location, the map is blank. Any idea why?

It's not theme-related as it shows blank in the default IPB theme as well. Any help would be appreciated.

Do you see any errors in the browser console? Can you send me a PM with an admin login and a link to your site please and I’ll take a look. 

I have released version 1.2 That now includes a choice between opt-in and opt-out. Opt-in will work as it did previously. Opt-out uses GeoIP to set the location based on the users IP. Users can override this in their profile or opt-out from their account settings.

I have also added a profile completion step for those that wish to be more aggressive in prompting for the location or requiring a user to enter it before they can access the rest of the site.

Looking forward to more great feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 🙂

Great Plugin, first of all 🙂 I'm using the opt out option. Is it possible to add a city search option? From example, I'm from city "A". I see people near me. I would like to see people near another city ("B" , "C", "D" ) without change my location. "People Near Me" Site:

30215044_nearthecity.thumb.png.a2b2349e9fbe723a3ca8c7cee6caaf1f.png

And a second request. To add compatibility with the "Friends" application made by @onlyME. It's about the "People you may know" option. It does not consider "Friends" and shows in the "People you may know" section those Users who are already Friends.

Edited by Semenedar