Member Map

Admin options to remove member's markers would be good too.

Agreed, this would be good.

I think I'd rather the pictures shown when clicking on a marker were the profile pics instead of avatars. Since this is about where the members actually are at, I thinking showing their actual pic makes more sense.

Ahhh, the whole "avatar versus photo" business (which is being discussed elsewhere). I personally feel the avatar should be used everywhere on the forum except for the user's profile page, so I respectfully disagree with you here. You see the user's avatar associated with posts, which is where most users spend their time on the forum. Thus, it's easier to make the association when you see the avatar elsewhere (for instance, on these maps).

I also like the idea of an Admin being able to add additional icons. Could be cool for like setting a marker for a meetup or something? I'd probably never do that, but it'd be nice.

That's a great idea, actually--users on my forum have meetups all the time, and there are various gaming events that would be fun to show here. Actually, tying this to the calendar would be a blast. :D

..Al

I think maybe the group name, and maybe the joined date? Just some common info about that member.

Sounds good.

And yeah, just /membermap/ would be fine, it's very minor, but I like seeing those URLs as opposed to the ?app= ones.

I'll have a look at sorting that out then

Woops :ph34r:

I have a few more feature suggestions too, if you don't mind. For the Admin side, it'd be nice if the settings were linked from the apps main menu, instead of having to go to the settings page. Admin options to remove member's markers would be good too. I think I'd rather the pictures shown when clicking on a marker were the profile pics instead of avatars. Since this is about where the members actually are at, I thinking showing their actual pic makes more sense. I also like the idea of an Admin being able to add additional icons. Could be cool for like setting a marker for a meetup or something? I'd probably never do that, but it'd be nice.

All good ideas, what about if the user doesn't have a personal photo set, then use their avatar ?

Ok. But what should I type in popup ? My name ? City name ?

Your full or partial address, you could just type your city if you don't want your exact location shown.

Bug Fix
Quirk: You can't any any location west of Texas.
Run in PhpMyAdmin or Mysql Toolbox

ALTER TABLE ibf_member_map MODIFY lat FLOAT( 10, 6 ), MODIFY lon FLOAT( 10, 6 );

change ibf_ for the prefix you use if different. - Thanks to AtariAge for finding this one.

Yeah, I don't want to open up that whole avatar vs. photo can of worms, it's just something that seems to me would be more of a place where photos would be displayed. But if that's not the consensus, that's OK. :)

EDIT: On the popup, it'd be nice if you could also pop up the user's popup card from there too, just include the little icon beside their name like it has it in posts. That way, we can find people on the map and quickly do things like add them as friends, search for posts, see their rep, etc.

Yeah, I don't want to open up that whole avatar vs. photo can of worms, it's just something that seems to me would be more of a place where photos would be displayed. But if that's not the consensus, that's OK. :)

EDIT: On the popup, it'd be nice if you could also pop up the user's popup card from there too, just include the little icon beside their name like it has it in posts. That way, we can find people on the map and quickly do things like add them as friends, search for posts, see their rep, etc.

You have far too many good ideas (w00t) :thumbsup:

Maybe I am just being thick here, but how do we....

a) remove the pin for Invision HQ

b) change the default icon?

c) if you have added the Invision HQ manually, is it possible to add our own locations manually?

• You can remove it in the skin file
  • To change the icons you need to edit the skin file
  • That might be possible in a future version

Nice mod!

I built myself a member map a few years back with the help from the guys at the Google Maps Newsgroup, its just a standard external web page that I link to.
Someone suggested I make it an application add-on so that its integrated but I wouldn't have a clue how to do that, I've never made a mod.

However, you are welcome to use it for any inspiration or features on your map.

You can find it here.

Regards,
Graham

That's a great idea, actually--users on my forum have meetups all the time, and there are various gaming events that would be fun to show here. Actually, tying this to the calendar would be a blast. :D

..Al

I've noted this down for a future release to look at hooking into the calendar system (if installed).

Nice mod!

I built myself a member map a few years back with the help from the guys at the Google Maps Newsgroup, its just a standard external web page that I link to.

Someone suggested I make it an application add-on so that its integrated but I wouldn't have a clue how to do that, I've never made a mod.

However, you are welcome to use it for any inspiration or features on your map.

You can find it [url="http://millennium-thisiswhoweare.net/tiwwa/tiwwa_member_map.php"]here[/url].

Regards,

Graham

That looks pretty good, the main difference here is that you are using an XML file to load the markers, whilst a good idea I'm not sure that it gives you the ability to filter the results. I'll have a closer look over the next few days.

You'll need to add a class publicSessions__membermap to the /extensions/coreExtensions.php file. It's been reported to me that when people go to the Online list and someone is in the Member Map, they're getting this error:

Fatal error: Class 'publicSessions__membermap' not found in /home/mccune/public_html/forums/***/applications/members/modules_public/online/online.php  on line 250

You'll need to add a class publicSessions__membermap to the /extensions/coreExtensions.php file. It's been reported to me that when people go to the Online list and someone is in the Member Map, they're getting this error:

Fatal error: Class 'publicSessions__membermap' not found in /home/mccune/public_html/forums/***/applications/members/modules_public/online/online.php  on line 250

Added that to my list of bug fixes/enchancements

You'll probably figure this out on your own, but to make the Online List stuff work properly, you need to also create an /extensions/coreVariables.php file, with this content:

<?php

/* Resets */

$_RESET = array();

/* Make sure our module and section are set */

if ( !isset( $_REQUEST['module'] ) && ( isset( $_REQUEST['app'] ) && $_REQUEST['app'] == 'membermap' ) )

{

$_RESET['module']  = 'membermap';

$_RESET['section'] = 'map';

}

Since your app only has one module and section, and neither is explicitly set in $this->request, they won't ever get saved to the sessions table, and thus the Online List stuff will never really load the stuff from /extensions/coreExtensions.php to parse it. Here's a quick class for that that I whipped up:

class publicSessions__membermap

{

public function getSessionVariables()

{

/* Return */

return array();

}

public function parseOnlineEntries( $rows )

{

/* Got rows? */

if ( !is_array( $rows ) || !count( $rows ) )

{

return $rows;

}

/* Loopy loo */

foreach ( $rows as $row )

{

/* In some other app? */

if ( $row['current_appcomponent'] != 'membermap' )

{

$final[ $row['id'] ] = $row;

continue;

}

/* Guess not... */

$row['where_line'] = "Viewing the Member Map";

$row['where_link'] = 'app=membermap';

/* Add to our array */

$final[ $row['id'] ] = $row;

}

/* Return */

return $final;

}

}

You'll probably figure this out on your own, but to make the Online List stuff work properly, you need to also create an /extensions/coreVariables.php file, with this content:

Since your app only has one module and section, and neither is explicitly set in $this->request, they won't ever get saved to the sessions table, and thus the Online List stuff will never really load the stuff from /extensions/coreExtensions.php to parse it. Here's a quick class for that that I whipped up:

Thanks Michael :thumbsup: