Forums disappeared, but are intact in the database?

ProSkill

So an Admin of mine apparently tried to rename a discussion forum or category, after doing that ALL of the forums disappeared. As in the forum is blank. The weird thing is that the forums, posts, and topics all appear in the database and all appear okay. What is also weird is that you can even see the missing forums when you use the site search feature to find them, but they throw an error if you try to access them. Has anyone had something like this happen on their board? What is also weird is that I can create new forums and posts just fine. I don't see any obvious errors as it appears that the forum is working fine for new posts. All other features are working, its almost like forums were deleted, but if that were the case they wouldn't be sitting in the database. 

I remember something like this happening a long time ago. In my case it had something to do with a category with no topics in it being invisible on the message board. Once a topic was added, the category became visible. I know it's not much to go on, but maybe something will point you in the right direction, something to do with the renaming. Hopefully you get it resolved, and hopefully the topics, etc. are all still there. I think they are, because you said they seem to be in the database. Sorry I can't be of more help.

25 minutes ago, tonyv said:

I remember something like this happening a long time ago. In my case it had something to do with a category with no topics in it being invisible on the message board. Once a topic was added, the category became visible. I know it's not much to go on, but maybe something will point you in the right direction, something to do with the renaming. Hopefully you get it resolved, and hopefully the topics, etc. are all still there. I think they are, because you said they seem to be in the database. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Interesting, thank you. That sounds like it might be on the right track. It's almost as if the IPB software can't see any of the forums or posts made before the change was made. It's even blank in the ACP

8 minutes ago, ProSkill said:

It's almost as if the IPB software can't see any of the forums or posts made before the change was made.

It's more like it's by design. For example, a forum with no topics, though it exists, is not visible to users (or a category with no forums - something like that). Maybe check the affected category/forum settings.

Grasping at straws here, if nothing else, bumping the topic ...

1 hour ago, AlexWebsites said:

Check your usergroup and forum permission settings.

It's as if the forums are deleted. They just don't show up anywhere. There are no forums at all. However, I can create new forums without issue, and I see that there 650+ forum ids in the database. 

9 hours ago, ProSkill said:

It's as if the forums are deleted. They just don't show up anywhere. There are no forums at all. However, I can create new forums without issue, and I see that there 650+ forum ids in the database. 

I'd submit a ticket. Going to be the fastest way to get this resolved I think.

This was a bug in the original 4.4.10 release which was quickly patched but you may not have applied the patch.

1) Run the support tool and install the patch that shows up as available if you haven't already.

2) Run the following SQL query in phpmyadmin or a similar tool:

update forums_forums SET parent_id=-1 where parent_id=0

If you have an SQL table prefix, prepend it to "forums_forums".

20 hours ago, bfarber said:

This was a bug in the original 4.4.10 release which was quickly patched but you may not have applied the patch.

1) Run the support tool and install the patch that shows up as available if you haven't already.

2) Run the following SQL query in phpmyadmin or a similar tool:

update forums_forums SET parent_id=-1 where parent_id=0

If you have an SQL table prefix, prepend it to "forums_forums".

Fyi, this fixed the issue for me. I had to manually run the mysql update. Installing the new patch didn't fix it by itself.

Archived