Remove ipsAdvertisement Class

Bluto

Ad Block Plus (a plugin for Chrome) and I'm sure a lot of other ad blocking plugins, removes / blocks anything with the word advertisement.

Using ipsAdvertisement in the templates:  advertisementImage and Advertisement is flagged by ad blocking software.

Since there is no CSS for ipsAdvertisement in any of the CSS files, my assumption is that you're using those for the smaller versions via hook - which BTW I can't seem to turn off in commerce.  At least if I could turn off the option for smaller versions in commerce I could just remove the ipsAdvertisement classes from the templates and be done with it.

Anyway, maybe consider removing / replacing ipsAdvertisement class with something else which isn't going to block every ad on my forum and result in several support tickets asking why a customers ads aren't showing, because everyone and their Mother's brother uses adblock (the reason there are multiple articles online about online advertising losses because of ad blocking software).  Or as a short term fix, allow me to turn off the uploading of smaller versions in commerce so there isn't a conflict when I remove ipsAdvertisment_xxx classes in the templates.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I just removed ipsAdvertisement and left ipsAdvertisment_xxx.  Adblocker doesn't seem to pick up on ipsAdvertisment_xxx.

Really anything even remotely close to the advertising world wording should be removed.

I've had images flagged when I use 728x90 in the name.  I stopped using any wording like banner, ad, dimensions, etc.  Ad blockers are getting smarter and smarter.

I would leave the ipsAdvertisement_medium and ipsAdvertisement_large.  I believe those have to do with what customers upload as smaller versions in commerce - if you use commerce.  I found that using ipsAdvertisement_medium and ipsAdvertisement_large isn't picked up by the Adblocker.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 27/11/2017 at 11:07 AM, Bluto said:

I just removed ipsAdvertisement and left ipsAdvertisment_xxx.  Adblocker doesn't seem to pick up on ipsAdvertisment_xxx.

Really anything even remotely close to the advertising world wording should be removed.

I've had images flagged when I use 728x90 in the name.  I stopped using any wording like banner, ad, dimensions, etc.  Ad blockers are getting smarter and smarter.

I didn't even know this until a potential sponsor who was going to have an ad on our site told me they couldn't see any of our ads. It turned out they were using an ad blocker. I thought ok adsense might be blocked but didn't expect our own ads to be. 

I have just removed that ipsAdvertisement as well and now the ads show. Not sure if this is the best option or not as not my strong point but it works anyway so thanks!

Just as a note @Bluto i notice you wanted to figure out how to turn upload of smaller image off in your original post. Not sure if you have already figured this out but i use this in custom.css and works a treat in that the smaller option doesn't show in the frontend when someone books an advert. 

#ad_image_more,#ad_image_small,#ad_image_medium {
display: none;
}

• 1 year later...

This fell on deaf ears.  Still hasn't changed and Ad block is still blocking ipsAdvertisement.

FYI - ad blockers are smart - they block words like advertisement, ad, banner, etc. it's 2019 bros.

I know you guys are busy creating the next best updates for your software, please take a moment and remove the word advertisement from your software's CSS classes and help us all out.  You guys preach not to modify the templates, well it's pretty much impossible in this instance. 

Ad block blocked ads = zero money for us = no income = no renewing your software license.

The worst part...  newbie IPS owners who don't know any better and sell ads or post affiliate banners and never realize that the ads are NOT showing.  I feel bad for those people who don't know any better and are just trying to make a couple of bucks to pay for their hosting and license fees.

@Charles @Lindy @Matt

Thanks!

1 minute ago, marklcfc said:

Viewed my page source and don't see any instances of ipsAdvertisement, am I (probably) missing something? My ads are still blocked by adblock

This is for ads which might not be from vendors on the ad block filter lists. Say I sold an ad to you and uploaded the banner image through the advertising system it could get blocked because it uses a class with "advertisement" in. As well as vendor list filters, blockers can pick up on keywords such as ads, advert, advertisement.

Saying that I've not had any issues recently with custom ads I have uploaded, ipsAdvertisement_large hasn't been picked up by blockers that I have tested with.

9 hours ago, marklcfc said:

Viewed my page source and don't see any instances of ipsAdvertisement, am I (probably) missing something? My ads are still blocked by adblock

From what I've found if you are using Google Ads or some other js based ad network, it will be picked up regardless of what the classes are called.

If you want to remove the classes you need to modify a template file core > global > global > advertisementImage you will see the classes there.

Also, if you are banner advertising make sure they aren't named banner, ad, adbanner, or any sizes 720x90, etc.  I name my ads random words like 111peaches.png.

9 hours ago, day_ said:

Saying that I've not had any issues recently with custom ads I have uploaded, ipsAdvertisement_large hasn't been picked up by blockers that I have tested with.

Did you removed the ipsAdvertisement only and left the ipsAdvertisement_large, medium, and small?  I don't believe I tried it like that... I removed everything.

@BlutoI apologize for turning to your topic - I do not use ads.
But reading your topic, I understand your concerns. And I support your efforts to find solutions.
I have a question:
- Have you tried to load ads after a "onload" time?  I think, I may be wrong, that an ad blocker does not track this time.
Using display ads in "onoad" time will also increase the loading speed of a site.

Or maybe an anti-ad blocker must be created - why not, everything created by man, has opposition...

Onload time isn't going to work. 

I'm not paying for a mod and I highly doubt any 3rd party developers are interested in creating a anti-adblock when changing the CSS classes work.

I'm not losing impressions and clicks... IPS customers are.  My template is modified and my ads aren't blocked.  I'm posting this so hopefully others realize what they need to do and in turn write IPS and tell them they need to change this... like 2 years ago.

2 hours ago, Bluto said:

Did you removed the ipsAdvertisement only and left the ipsAdvertisement_large, medium, and small?  I don't believe I tried it like that... I removed everything.

Haven’t removed anything. Can’t say I’ve tried every ad blocker available though, but the couple I did try didn’t block it

I use the basic adblock Google Chrome extension and it blocks anything with ads. 

The adblocker even blocks the preview in advertisements ACP page.  If I turn adblock off the preview banner appears.  Test 3 below is using a Toyota image w/ the link https://google.com so there would be no reason for adblock to block a toyota image and a google link.

1370796986_Screenshotfrom2019-06-0818-08-35.thumb.png.ddf70a39303358c2912ef50c47f6ed65.png

Here is the adblock I'm using:  https://getadblock.com/ w/ google chrome.

I'm going about this another way, in my head.

Going to implement ispAds class to images, so the adblocker removes images from site.
This way if you want to see any images, they get blocked my the adblocker and it's the users choice if they want to remove the adblock.

Thoughts on if this might fail?

7 hours ago, surinp3 said:

I'm going about this another way, in my head.

Going to implement ispAds class to images, so the adblocker removes images from site.
This way if you want to see any images, they get blocked my the adblocker and it's the users choice if they want to remove the adblock.

Thoughts on if this might fail?

Sounds like a strange setup to me since I would never use adblock to turn off features (in your case images) on my site.  When I turn on adblock, I'll only turn it off when I hit a site which forces me to turn it off.  Generally these are news sites and some others which have anti-adblocking.  I would never think, "I need to turn off adblock to see the images on a particular site."

IMO there are going to probably be a lot of people who expect to see images (example a thread talking about a painting where the OP is an image) and when they don't they won't turn to adblock as the cause, they'll assume that something is wrong with the site, their browser, or their computer.

If that was me, I'd make up a quick plugin which has a button to switch off and on the images on my site and give people the option if they wanted a faster loading site without images.

In the end, it's your site, adblock those images and let us know how it works out.

43 minutes ago, rfcontreras said:

My ads are also blocked... so no revenue.. please change it on next release or patch.

Thanks in advance!

Just as a general note, this is something IPS can mitigate, but it’s not up to them to solve Adblock blocking your ads entirely. While picking up on class names might be a method used now, that will no doubt change. It’s a constant ongoing battle and you’ll have to figure out a strategy to monetize that assumes ads are capable of being blocked long term. 

On 6/12/2019 at 8:35 PM, Morgin said:

Just as a general note, this is something IPS can mitigate, but it’s not up to them to solve Adblock blocking your ads entirely. While picking up on class names might be a method used now, that will no doubt change. It’s a constant ongoing battle and you’ll have to figure out a strategy to monetize that assumes ads are capable of being blocked long term. 

I'm advertising my own company on my community. At least if we can change the wording on the url should be great..

Regards

• 7 months later...

I see that 4.4.10 version addressed this:

Adjusted advertisement CSS classes to use a dynamic class name.

Advertisements no longer use the .ipsAdvertisement_* class names, and instead use dynamic classnames unique to each community. Themes that restyle advertisements should update their CSS to use `.ips{expression="mb_ucfirst(\IPS\SUITE_UNIQUE_KEY)"}` instead.

Anyone tried how it looks? Do ads manage to reach the users?

Archived