Newsletters

Well, I thought the *[unsubscribe]* was just not working because I was doing test distributions to myself... turns out it is not working. I just sent out my first newsletter to 5,000 people and am getting a lot of emails saying it is not working and some saying they are reporting me because the unsubscribe link does not work.

What am I doing wrong? I put this in the html footer of the newsletter: *[unsubscribe]*

Am I supposed to remove the ** around [unsubscribe]?

5 hours ago, Josiah Wallingford said:

Well, I thought the *[unsubscribe]* was just not working because I was doing test distributions to myself... turns out it is not working. I just sent out my first newsletter to 5,000 people and am getting a lot of emails saying it is not working and some saying they are reporting me because the unsubscribe link does not work.

What am I doing wrong? I put this in the html footer of the newsletter: *[unsubscribe]*

Am I supposed to remove the ** around [unsubscribe]?

Your text is wrong. IPS standard for email tags is

*|unsubscribe|*

Note the use of vertical lines instead of brackets.

2 hours ago, Josiah Wallingford said:

Is it possible to only show content in the email that the user has not already read?

No. Newsletter content is generated once and only once, at the start of distribution. All recipients get identical content. If I changed this logic, it would eliminate the ability to do bulk mail, which means I'd have to send the newsletter one email at a time. That would be a disaster.

2 hours ago, Josiah Wallingford said:

Also, how do I show them content from the clubs they are in?

Club content is not yet supported, but it is in progress. That being said, users will never receive newsletters from "just the clubs they are in" for the same reason as the "unread" question. I am working on allowing Club owners to create their own newsletters, so each club would have its own newsletter that could be sent out. There are no plans for a combined club newsletter.

1 hour ago, Josiah Wallingford said:

When I do that I get a full unsubscribe url instead of the word "Unsubscribe". Is it possible to make that a word or phrase instead of just the link?

<a href='*|unsubscribe|*'>Unsubscribe</a>

To be honest, I could have sworn it was already building a link..... 

Edited by HeadStand
7 minutes ago, HeadStand said:

<a href='*|unsubscribe|*'>Unsubscribe</a>

I am doing this using the html editor (ckeditor). So, I write out the text "Unsubscribe" and then highlighted it and chose the hyperlink button and put in *|unsubscribe|* as the url This is not working. Do I have to add this to the template? If so, where at in the template do I add this?

3 minutes ago, Josiah Wallingford said:

I am doing this using the html editor (ckeditor). So, I write out the text "Unsubscribe" and then highlighted it and chose the hyperlink button and put in *|unsubscribe|* as the url This is not working. Do I have to add this to the template? If so, where at in the template do I add this?

You can put it anywhere you want in the template. I will take a closer look at the HTML editor, but it won't be today.

11 minutes ago, HeadStand said:

You can put it anywhere you want in the template. I will take a closer look at the HTML editor, but it won't be today.

I am doing something wrong still in the template. The *|member_name|* does not display the member name it displays "*|member_name|*" and the "Unsubscribe" shows the unsubscribe but does not have it as a clickable link. "Web Version" is doing the same thing.

<body>
	<div class='outer'>
	<table class='wrap'>
		<tr>
			<td>Hello *|member_name|*,</td>
		</tr>
		<tr>
			<td class='content'>*|content|*</td>
		</tr>
	</table>
	</div>
	<div class='outer'>
	<table class='wrap'>
		<tr>
			<td><a href="https://community.thrivethrough.com/settings/?area=newsletters">Alter Your Subscription</a> or <a href="*|unsubscribe|*">Unsubscribe</a></td>
		</tr>
		<tr>
			<td><a href="*|weblink|*">Web Version</a></td>
		</tr>
	</table>
	</div>
	</body>
</html>

5 hours ago, HeadStand said:
7 hours ago, Josiah Wallingford said:

Also, how do I show them content from the clubs they are in?

Club content is not yet supported, but it is in progress. That being said, users will never receive newsletters from "just the clubs they are in" for the same reason as the "unread" question. I am working on allowing Club owners to create their own newsletters, so each club would have its own newsletter that could be sent out. There are no plans for a combined club newsletter.

Please create for the club newsletters an optional feature in the group settings. I want to sell this feature ("sendout club newsletters") as a VIP feature.

If a member purchases a VIP membership subscription, he should be allowed to have paid clubs and the newsletter feature. Other members (who are in other permitted member groups) may only create free clubs and shouldn't be able to use this "club newsletter" feature without having a special paid membership subscription.

Please consider this. Thanks.

10 hours ago, Cyboman said:

Please create for the club newsletters an optional feature in the group settings. I want to sell this feature ("sendout club newsletters") as a VIP feature.

If a member purchases a VIP membership subscription, he should be allowed to have paid clubs and the newsletter feature. Other members (who are in other permitted member groups) may only create free clubs and shouldn't be able to use this "club newsletter" feature without having a special paid membership subscription.

Please consider this. Thanks.

Good suggestion. Thanks!

Hi @HeadStand

We recently downloaded and installed Newsletter and are unable to get it to send. I have read through the directions and clicked publish but nothing seems to fire. It always says queued for distribution but do not see anything after that. We have tried multiple times even deleting and recreating it.

I am sure it is something I am missing but thought you may be able to check into it

Thanks

Newsletter not sending.png

3 hours ago, Chris Purcell said:

Hi @HeadStand

We recently downloaded and installed Newsletter and are unable to get it to send. I have read through the directions and clicked publish but nothing seems to fire. It always says queued for distribution but do not see anything after that. We have tried multiple times even deleting and recreating it.

I am sure it is something I am missing but thought you may be able to check into it

Thanks

Newsletter not sending.png

Newsletter distribution is described in detail in the documentation. 

The issue is built, the recipients are added to the queue, and then a background task is kicked off. Distribution depends on how your IPS tasks are configured to run - do they run by cron job? By activity? 

You can check the distribution progress by looking at the issue list, which, btw, would also give you the option to cancel instead of deleting. 

I'm answering from my phone now, so I can't get more detailed right now... Please check the documentation so you can see how to find that page. 

2 hours ago, HeadStand said:

Newsletter distribution is described in detail in the documentation. 

The issue is built, the recipients are added to the queue, and then a background task is kicked off. Distribution depends on how your IPS tasks are configured to run - do they run by cron job? By activity? 

You can check the distribution progress by looking at the issue list, which, btw, would also give you the option to cancel instead of deleting. 

I'm answering from my phone now, so I can't get more detailed right now... Please check the documentation so you can see how to find that page. 

It is currently configured to run with traffic but can change that if needed. Also tried manually pushing the task in the manager. Here are screenshots of the issue, newsletter queue, content and task manager. One thing I noticed is the time in the queue changes after I set it.

Newsletter Issue.png

IPS Tasks.png

Newsletter Queue.png

SU Content.png

You're showing screenshots of every screen except the right one. ? What does it say in "Back Issues"?

But there's a clue in your first screenshot. Your issue date is 6/17/2018, but the blue box says the current date is 6/18/2018. Can you try changing that issue date to 6/18, and then publishing? I'm guessing that your issues are coming up as empty, and if there's no content, nothing gets sent. We don't want to send empty newsletters!

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, CheersnGears said:

Any progress towards adding pictures from Pages article records?  I'm having a couple of other formatting issues in email and in forums that I need to report.  I'm seeing HTML code in previews of the post. 

Yes, it's actually done in my development version. I've added pictures anywhere they appear - pages records, blog entries, downloads files. I just have a few other items in progress that aren't complete yet (specifically Club Newsletters). The Club Newsletters are taking longer than I expected. I really want this done this coming week.

On 6/11/2018 at 6:55 PM, Josiah Wallingford said:

I am doing something wrong still in the template. The *|member_name|* does not display the member name it displays "*|member_name|*" and the "Unsubscribe" shows the unsubscribe but does not have it as a clickable link. "Web Version" is doing the same thing.

<body>
	<div class='outer'>
	<table class='wrap'>
		<tr>
			<td>Hello *|member_name|*,</td>
		</tr>
		<tr>
			<td class='content'>*|content|*</td>
		</tr>
	</table>
	</div>
	<div class='outer'>
	<table class='wrap'>
		<tr>
			<td><a href="https://community.thrivethrough.com/settings/?area=newsletters">Alter Your Subscription</a> or <a href="*|unsubscribe|*">Unsubscribe</a></td>
		</tr>
		<tr>
			<td><a href="*|weblink|*">Web Version</a></td>
		</tr>
	</table>
	</div>
	</body>
</html>

Bump, still having an issue here.