Newsletters

The screen you're showing is not the issue screen. Issues do work the way you want, but you need to set them up correctly. 

The screen you're looking at is the content screen. This is where you decide what kind of content is in each newsletter - for example, you might have manual editor content, followed by recent topics, then by gallery images.

When you're on the main newsletter screen (the one that lists all the newsletters), each newsletter should have an option for "Manage Issues". On that screen you set up the issue date and the content. 

@HeadStand Gotcha. Is it necessary to create "Issues?" I think I could simply edit the manual content and then send out the newsletter, and then for the next "issue," I can simply edit the content again for the new content and send this new content, and so on. Sorry for so many questions, as our method of creating and sending newsletters is all manual.

A couple of questions:

1. Is there a way to create a template of formating for the topic that is created on the forum? Because in the actual newsletters we have dividers for the header and footer (added through a template we created), but these are lost in the topic.

2. Is there a way to lock the topic automatically after it is created, so users won't comment on them?

I found an issue when viewing the newsletter as plain text: the spaces are exaggerated. See the screenshots comparing the same text in HTML and in plaintext.

Thanks!

newsletter-plaintext1.png

newsletter-plaintext2.png

Edited by Gabriel Torres
5 hours ago, HeadStand said:

Was the "next distribution time" updated after distribution? Was there anything in your system logs? 

Yes it updated to the last one sent. Didn't notice anything in the system logs other than this:

#0 /var/www/html/forum/applications/newsletters/sources/Issue/Issue.php(257): IPS\_Log::log('Distributed SKF...', 'newsletters')
#1 /var/www/html/forum/applications/newsletters/extensions/core/Queue/DistributeNewsletters.php(81): IPS\newsletters\_Issue->distribute(0)
#2 /var/www/html/forum/system/Task/Task.php(48): IPS\newsletters\extensions\core\Queue\_DistributeNewsletters->run(Array, 0)
#3 /var/www/html/forum/applications/core/tasks/queue.php(44): IPS\_Task::runQueue()
#4 [internal function]: IPS\core\tasks\_queue->IPS\core\tasks\{closure}()
#5 /var/www/html/forum/system/Task/Task.php(346): call_user_func(Object(Closure))
#6 /var/www/html/forum/applications/core/tasks/queue.php(56): IPS\_Task->runUntilTimeout(Object(Closure))
#7 /var/www/html/forum/system/Task/Task.php(249): IPS\core\tasks\_queue->execute()
#8 /var/www/html/forum/system/Task/Task.php(218): IPS\_Task->run()
#9 /var/www/html/forum/system/Dispatcher/Standard.php(306): IPS\_Task->runAndLog()
#10 [internal function]: IPS\Dispatcher\_Standard->__destruct()
#11 {main}

Edited by NoGi
6 hours ago, NoGi said:

Yes it updated to the last one sent. Didn't notice anything in the system logs other than this:

#0 /var/www/html/forum/applications/newsletters/sources/Issue/Issue.php(257): IPS\_Log::log('Distributed SKF...', 'newsletters')
#1 /var/www/html/forum/applications/newsletters/extensions/core/Queue/DistributeNewsletters.php(81): IPS\newsletters\_Issue->distribute(0)
#2 /var/www/html/forum/system/Task/Task.php(48): IPS\newsletters\extensions\core\Queue\_DistributeNewsletters->run(Array, 0)
#3 /var/www/html/forum/applications/core/tasks/queue.php(44): IPS\_Task::runQueue()
#4 [internal function]: IPS\core\tasks\_queue->IPS\core\tasks\{closure}()
#5 /var/www/html/forum/system/Task/Task.php(346): call_user_func(Object(Closure))
#6 /var/www/html/forum/applications/core/tasks/queue.php(56): IPS\_Task->runUntilTimeout(Object(Closure))
#7 /var/www/html/forum/system/Task/Task.php(249): IPS\core\tasks\_queue->execute()
#8 /var/www/html/forum/system/Task/Task.php(218): IPS\_Task->run()
#9 /var/www/html/forum/system/Dispatcher/Standard.php(306): IPS\_Task->runAndLog()
#10 [internal function]: IPS\Dispatcher\_Standard->__destruct()
#11 {main}

That's normal output.

I'm trying to figure out if maybe something got stuck before the next distribution had a chance to update. Do you post the newsletter to a topic?

5 hours ago, HeadStand said:

I'm trying to figure out if maybe something got stuck before the next distribution had a chance to update. Do you post the newsletter to a topic?

I do and it posted it only once, the last one that was sent.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

when adding dates such as  to the 'Topic Title Format' field am getting

TypeError: DateTime::__construct() expects parameter 2 to be DateTimeZone, string given (0)

can you give us a quick example of the format needed here

thanks

Topic Title Format

The date format that will be used in the topic title.
Must be a valid format as used by PHP's strftime.  

On 6/14/2017 at 2:46 AM, sound said:

when adding dates such as  to the 'Topic Title Format' field am getting

TypeError: DateTime::__construct() expects parameter 2 to be DateTimeZone, string given (0)

can you give us a quick example of the format needed here

thanks

Topic Title Format

The date format that will be used in the topic title.
Must be a valid format as used by PHP's strftime.  

The topic title format is not a date field, it's plain text. I can't see how you can possibly get that particular error on that field. Can you please tell me which field is generating the error?

On 5/31/2017 at 5:24 PM, gavpedz said:

Will this work on ips 4.2

I haven't tested it (yet), but it should work. I don't know of any code changes that would affect this app.

On 6/16/2017 at 2:59 PM, HeadStand said:

The topic title format is not a date field, it's plain text. I can't see how you can possibly get that particular error on that field. Can you please tell me which field is generating the error?

ok, thanks for the reply

looking deeper

it seems to be the 'Scheduled Start Date' causing the problem when saving settings

any pointers?

ok

when saving the newletter I get the below error logged

EX0 Something went wrong. Please try again.

and

#0 /zzzzzzzzzz/system/Helpers/Form/Date.php(207): DateTime->__construct('2017-06-20 09:0...', 'UTC')

my site is on uk time, maybe something to do with that?

On 6/21/2017 at 4:53 AM, sound said:

ok

when saving the newletter I get the below error logged

EX0 Something went wrong. Please try again.

and

#0 /zzzzzzzzzz/system/Helpers/Form/Date.php(207): DateTime->__construct('2017-06-20 09:0...', 'UTC')

my site is on uk time, maybe something to do with that?

You should have more details in your system logs. Do you? Also, what version of IPS are you running? 

On 6/21/2017 at 5:13 PM, DieselMinded said:

Does this work on 4.2 beta 6a ?

I haven't tested it yet, but it should. 

7 hours ago, HeadStand said:

You should have more details in your system logs. Do you? Also, what version of IPS are you running? 

latest version 4.1.19.4

system log entry

#0 /xxxxxx/system/Helpers/Form/Date.php(207): DateTime->__construct('2017-01-02 23:0...', 'UTC')
#1 /xxxxxx/system/Helpers/Form/FormAbstract.php(165): IPS\Helpers\Form\_Date->formatValue()
#2 /xxxxxx/system/Helpers/Form/FormAbstract.php(143): IPS\Helpers\Form\_FormAbstract->setValue(true)
#3 [internal function]: IPS\Helpers\Form\_FormAbstract->__construct('newsletter_star...', 1483398000, true, Array, NULL, NULL, NULL, 'newsletter_star...')
#4 /xxxxxx/system/Helpers/Form/Date.php(90): call_user_func_array('parent::__const...', Array)
#5 /xxxxxx/applications/newsletters/sources/Newsletter/Newsletter.php(156): IPS\Helpers\Form\_Date->__construct('newsletter_star...', 1483398000, true, Array, NULL, NULL, NULL, 'newsletter_star...')
#6 /xxxxxx/applications/newsletters/modules/admin/newsletters/newsletters.php(189): IPS\newsletters\_Newsletter->form(Object(IPS\Helpers\Form))
#7 /xxxxxx/system/Dispatcher/Controller.php(86): IPS\newsletters\modules\admin\newsletters\_newsletters->form()
#8 /xxxxxx/applications/newsletters/modules/admin/newsletters/newsletters.php(27): IPS\Dispatcher\_Controller->execute()
#9 /xxxxxx/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(129): IPS\newsletters\modules\admin\newsletters\_newsletters->execute()
#10 /xxxxxx/admin/index.php(14): IPS\_Dispatcher->run()
#11 {main}

Edited by sound