Newsletters

On 11/23/2017 at 5:19 PM, CheersnGears said:

No error to be had, just emails sent with no unsubscribe link, just the tag

Hmmm. What do you use for outgoing mail - SMTP/SparkPost/SendGrid/?

Also, can you post the contents of your footer here? I mean whatever is actually in the ACP settings.

Edited by HeadStand
On 11/23/2017 at 4:53 PM, HeadStand said:

Unsubscribe from the ACP has been available since the initial version, even back in 3.x. In the ACP, go to the Newsletters screen, then choose "Subscribers" from the menu option on the right. You should see all current subscribers and you can remove anyone on the list.

Ah...that's right. I was just looking under the default member section.

On 11/25/2017 at 9:07 PM, HeadStand said:

Hmmm. What do you use for outgoing mail - SMTP/SparkPost/SendGrid/?

Also, can you post the contents of your footer here? I mean whatever is actually in the ACP settings.

I discovered the issue.. it does not work using the test button, but does work when actually sending through the distribution routine.  So it was my lack of understanding of how it was designed rather than an actual error. 

Edit: I do wish I could format the link to something more pretty

Edited by CheersnGears
1 hour ago, CheersnGears said:

I discovered the issue.. it does not work using the test button, but does work when actually sending through the distribution routine.  So it was my lack of understanding of how it was designed rather than an actual error. 

Edit: I do wish I could format the link to something more pretty

Yes, that's true, it won't work with the test button. The reason for this is that the unsubscribe link is tied to an issue (not a newsletter), and the test doesn't actually generate an issue. Or rather, it doesn't SAVE the issue, so the unsubscribe link wouldn't work.

For styling, you can always wrap the unsubscribe tag in a <span> with styling. Or you can put a class on the span tag and then add styling to your email template.

2 hours ago, HeadStand said:

Believe it or not, advertising has been on my list for a while and will be the next enhancement.

That's good to know. I just tried to use an IPS custom ad tag like {advertisement="newsletter_test"} within the newsletter content and a template, but it doesn't parse that. It would be good to be able to use the IPS tag so that you can incorporate the ad as a product within commerce and sell a newsletter ad placement.

However, I don't think you can even use the IPS advertisement tags in default bulk mail.

• 2 months later...
23 hours ago, Vegan Gaymer said:

PRIVATE CLUB POSTS in DIGEST

We've discovered that private posts to private clubs are showing up in the daily digest. Is there a way to keep private clubs from being included in the newsletter? Or is there a way for only the members of the private club to receive those posts in their digest? Thanks!

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

At this time I cannot distribute different versions to different members, so I guess the correct approach is to leave out club content completely. I will look into this issue and hopefully have a fix toward the end of this week.

On 2/15/2018 at 7:03 PM, CheersnGears said:

Is there a way to adjust the logo that gets included with the newsletter?  My site logo uses a transparency but that doesn't work out as well in the newsletter. 

Yes. You can create a separate template for your newsletter and it can use any image you want. Templates are managed in the ACP under Community -> Newsletters -> Manage Templates.

22 hours ago, Joel R said:

Hey @HeadStand

1. Can you filter Newsletters to only be sent out to members of a certain club?

2.  Can you show club-only content such as club topics, club albums, club events, etc?  

1. At the moment, it's only filtered by group. Club is a good idea.

2. No. I've excluded all of that, intentionally. Each newsletter issue is generated once, and the same text is sent to all recipients. 

Although.... perhaps I should look into allowing Club Administrators to set up their own newsletters. That would be a nice addition.

10 hours ago, HeadStand said:

1. At the moment, it's only filtered by group. Club is a good idea.

2. No. I've excluded all of that, intentionally. Each newsletter issue is generated once, and the same text is sent to all recipients. 

Although.... perhaps I should look into allowing Club Administrators to set up their own newsletters. That would be a nice addition.

Yes that's exactly what a member of my community requested when we looked at Clubs together.  He would like to set up his own "club newsletter" just for his club content.  

suggestions for future releases

an index page

eg the url /newsletters/

a simple index page which lists all current and archived newsletters

links

a subscribe/unsubscribe link on each newsletter page with a check first if they have the essential site admin email option on or off

subscriptions

when starting a newsletter instead of having a whole group as subscribers, have the option for no subscribers and  members needing to opt in 

eg an opt in option rather than opt out

On 10/8/2017 at 10:16 AM, AlexWebsites said:

I just noticed that if you move a topic and leave in place a topic redirect (for 30 days as IPS gives you the option to), your topic list will include both the old and redirected in the newsletter. Is there a way to prevent this? It looks like duplicate topics when sending out. I removed the redirect link to stop it but this could be an issue if you are moving a lot and leave all the redirects in place.

Any fix on this? 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks @HeadStand for adding the sorting by event date to the calendars!  Thats awesome, you're awesome!

I only have one thing, it seems the "cut-off" field isn't working on the calendar dates - so for example if i have 7 days entered in there, its showing more than the next 7 days of events.  Is this supposed to happen or is it a bug?

6 hours ago, Adam_S said:

Thanks @HeadStand for adding the sorting by event date to the calendars!  Thats awesome, you're awesome!

I only have one thing, it seems the "cut-off" field isn't working on the calendar dates - so for example if i have 7 days entered in there, its showing more than the next 7 days of events.  Is this supposed to happen or is it a bug?

That sounds like a bug.