Links Directory

29 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

User with permission can view hidden links in the blocks/widgets/categories

Where are member/group permissions for the "Top Hits" widget, as the only option I see is for how many links to show? Where might I find member group permissions for viewing hidden links?

I'm the only person with permission to add/delete/etc links. Everybody can view links - does that mean they can also view hidden links, since I can't find where to allow/disallow member groups from seeing hidden links?

I've just come from IPB 3.3.4 where everything was easier to find in the ACP. IPB 4 has either removed a ton of stuff or hidden some stuff in places you don't know exist until you happen to go to a particular page and click on something or a barely visible button might appear at the top. Eg, in IPB 3, member groups had tons of permissions/options, including "Can view hidden content" (or similar); IPB 4 doesn't or, if it does, then I've no idea where they've hidden it.

All I know is that a hidden link shows to everybody (member or guest) in the "Top Hits" widget and in the "Random Links" block.

I'm not trying to be difficult or confusing, I genuinely don't know the answers to this... It doesn't matter for now as I've deleted the hidden links, but it would be helpful to know for a next time I might need to hide (not delete) a link.

49 minutes ago, Millipede said:

Where are member/group permissions for the "Top Hits" widget, as the only option I see is for how many links to show? Where might I find member group permissions for viewing hidden links?

I can confirm the issue on Top Hits widget. Will release a new version as soon as I fix it.

There won't be a "group permission". It will be like all other widgets: if you have permission to view the link, will show up.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Adriano Faria

I just purchased this, and can't thumbnails to work.. with default settings I tried Miniature.io

1362400225_2018-07-2920_03_04-Settings.thumb.png.0d5e9e335c707e12395087a66772155c.png

But have 30 mins with no thumbnail, still "Processing" I decided to try Screenshot Machine. Then I got "Unsupported" image for the thumbnail. I looked up "Unsupported" in Screenshot Machine and they say "Free account owners are not allowed to call our API using HTTPS protocol."

So then I switched back to Miniature.io, and use Rebuild Link Tool:

2130658508_2018-07-2920_03_16-Tools.thumb.png.b195442817b851f84f2019ce791aa322.png

But now there is still no change after waiting an hour:

1686660548_2018-07-2920_02_16-NewCategory-AnimeForums.thumb.png.857102a4101171baaca0271273171199.png

How can I get Miniature.io to work and update all the thumbnails?

Which URL? Let me test it. Miniature.io accepts https; you can try facebook.com, for example.

It’s the same from several posts in this topic:what happens after the form submission is not up to the app anymore; it’s handled by the API/image provider. 

It can be anything, really! A problem in the url and the API rejected, a server issue, etc.

And your own image says it all: it works  if it isn’t working, you would have NO screenshot and you got the first one.

All I can tell is you:

- switch image provider

- upload a screenshot 

Edited by Adriano Faria

Put it another way. Does your product currently, reliably get site thumbnails from any one of the supported thumbnail services? I don’t mind paying for them, infact assumed I would have to.  I’m assuming you have your own software running somewhere with thumbnails being generated.

Edited by christopher-w

Again: it grabs thumbnails from any service. Happens that sometimes one or another service may be offline or have any other problem that hasn’t absolutely nothing to do with the application itself, but still, people blame it. 

So replying to your question, no. Don’t buy it. I won’t guarantee to you that RIGHT NOW (or 6 hours from now) all the services are/will be running fine.

Don’t get me wrong. I just can’t lie to your to earn a few bucks. 

Thanks. Appreciate your candour. The auto thumbnailing to me seems like an essential service for those users who don’t know how to screen grab a website.  So just trying to get to the bottom of it that’s all. And appreciate that external services are not in your control,  but their availability does enhance your product. I suppose one could make screen grabs as an admin task once a day or something  

One other thought. If a link url wasn’t  mandatory then couldn’t this serve as a general business review product? 

On 7/29/2018 at 8:19 PM, Adriano Faria said:

Which URL? Let me test it. Miniature.io accepts https; you can try facebook.com, for example.

Thanks, so after a few hours Miniature did re-generate the thumbnail.

@christopher-w unfortunately the free options are very hit and miss. Sliders and interactive boxes on websites seem to blank out for Miniature.

Miniature:

cdjapan-eg.thumb.png.81ad7308257e88d18d16735a80a5654e.png

Manual screenshot:

cdjapan-manual.thumb.jpg.f838c1dc732e20eea226f85e4f610926.jpg

Also struggles with YouTube channels (the main reason I wanted to use it for)

youtube-eg.thumb.png.92833c4763c4badf2487fe43cf432202.png

I only tried Miniature and Screenshotmachine (until I found out they don't support HTTPS websites on free plan), the other providers have time limit on their free trial plans. I was going to go paid Screenshotmachine but 20 Euros for 2,000 screenshots is too expensive for me. So I will probably stick with Miniature + guide members on how to upload manually. It's a big step forward from what I was using on XenForo. ?

12 hours ago, Adriano Faria said:

Yes, it can. I can provide a file edit to remove the field requirement if you wish.

No immediate need for the change at the moment thanks. But having ability per category to set URL as mandatory or not would be useful going forward.

So, working almost perfectly so far. Screenshot machine is producing perfect thumbnails in seconds.

One little issue so far.

I enabled maps and:

1/ Shows map ok, but then hides address. Need both to show really. But with option to show map only, address only, or both.

2/ So I disabled maps BUT link view still shows empty (random location) map even if I remove all address data. So this needs to be fixed if you can so that if maps disabled, maps are not shown.

Going forward, if I have large number of links (businesses) it's going to get difficult to manage. Would be great to show all links from selected category on map. Or generate a JS array of links or something so that front end devs (me) can add their own map, styling etc, on front end. Maybe a widget with ability to select categories? If you are willing to consider this addition, happy to agree modest additional $fee?

Great product.

Thank you,

Chris

Edited by christopher-w

@Optic14, let me know if you are aware of other image providers. I can add more. 

22 minutes ago, christopher-w said:

2/ So I disabled maps BUT link view still shows empty (random location) map even if I remove all address data. So this needs to be fixed if you can so that if maps disabled, maps are not shown.

Address exists regardless maps be enabled or not. I know people that uses this as company directory and needs an address; that’s why it’s there and that’s why there’s a setting to display a map based in that address. 

23 minutes ago, christopher-w said:

1/ Shows map ok, but then hides address. Need both to show really. But with option to show map only, address only, or both.

I’ll take a look in next version. 

Edited by Adriano Faria
19 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

Address exists regardless maps be enabled or not. I know people that uses this as company directory and needs an address; that’s why it’s there and that’s why there’s a setting to display a map based in that address. 

Thanks but I've deleted information and disabled maps but it still shows the map with random location.

image.png.eea486f38b7f02bd964c040a32b723f9.png

Edited by christopher-w