Links Directory

On 9/12/2018 at 2:08 PM, Unlucky said:

Can this rank links by hits in?

Can you elaborate?

—————————

Does anyone use the PAID link feature in this app? I am planning a total overhaul in this area; it will use packages, where you can set price, number of days, pin, feature, etc.

Bit I won’t support two similar features in same app so if this not widely used, I will drop it.

Is that members on my site clicking the link to record the hit?

If so I meant I wondered if it would be possible to rank the sites based on hits from the external website > in to my site

So the people sending me the most traffic ranked highest in the list making it an incentive for them to send traffic to my site

1 hour ago, Adriano Faria said:

You don’t want to pay for a paid service, which will probably deliver a better service. I wouldn’t expect a free service to be bulletproof all of the time. 

We did try to signup for the thumbshots plan but they have a problem with the payment form working and the last time they pulished an article on their site was back in 2010 so not sure how reliable they will be,

The other two are really expensive and work out about £200 a year for their cheapest plans which is out of our budget really for this.

Can you give us any pointers on where to edit the templates as we are not terrible technical when it comes to doing that?

Thanks

3 minutes ago, Unlucky said:

Can you give us any pointers on where to edit the templates as we are not terrible technical when it comes to doing that?

I would suggest you to use the manual upload feature:

HlRzG75.png

Edit templates will certainly break layout somewhere. You will have to edit templates/CSS, etc., which is unsupported by me. You are free to do, but you won't get help from me. I can tell you which templates to edit but that's all.

You can also make some research and provide free services, if you find any. I can add them to the app.

4 hours ago, Millipede said:

I use the Screenshot Machine option, and got the Pay as You Go "pack" for €20 which gives you 2000 screenshots, which I've found to be more than enough for me. I store them locally. Once in a while, not often, it doesn't (can't) grab the screenshot, so I upload my own.

Is that per month or a one off payment?

We would have less far less than 2000 links now and in future so this could be an option

38 minutes ago, Unlucky said:

the thumbnails still show the miniature.io generating picture thumb

I, too, had the miniature.io generating thumbs to start with (having recently upgraded from IPB 3 to 4, including Links Directory). I can't remember now how I got rid of them in order to get Screenshot Machine working. I think what I may have done was as follows, but I'm not sure:

As I'd only just upgraded, the local links were in the uploads > monthly files, so it was easy for me to find the month I upgraded and to delete all the miniature.io images. I then went to edit each one of my links in order to pull them in from Screenshot Machine and it worked perfectly for the majority of my links; I only had to do one or two manually as it showed me one of their error images.

Having done that, I also changed the storage location for "Links Thumbnail", in Files > Storage Settings, to a separate folder that I created in the uploads folder, so that I would know in future where the screenshots are to be found, even if they're still in "monthly" sub-folders.

A possible word of warning - the screenshots from Screenshot Machine tend to be over 100kb each, which I find quite large for such a relatively small image.

I have over 200 links with more being added over time (but not on a monthly basis), so I figured the one-off 2000 screenshot pack was best for my uses.