Social Stream

2 hours ago, HeadStand said:

You tell me. In my previous post I said that if that doesn't work, I will need to troubleshoot on your system and I asked for a PM with credentials . I have not received anything from you. 

Since I can't reproduce the error, and no one else is reporting this problem, there isn't much I can do for you without access to your site.

I provided the error message that I was getting. Does that help? I am using this on an Alex 30k site, and I am not comfortable handing out administrative rights to random people on the internet. 

9 hours ago, ProSkill said:

I provided the error message that I was getting. Does that help? I am using this on an Alex 30k site, and I am not comfortable handing out administrative rights to random people on the internet. 

It doesn't help because that message is unrelated. I'll fix it of course, but that will not fix your initial problem.

1 hour ago, ProSkill said:

I left you a one star review, and requested a refund. Your idea of support is sorely lacking. 

Interesting. I have not said I won't help you. I have not denied you support. I have tried to reproduce it and failed. If you give me any idea as to how you expect me to help you, I will gladly do so, but I really can't.

And BTW... it's actually quite common for contributors to request temporary access. Ask around, you'll see.

On 10/25/2016 at 10:05 PM, ProSkill said:

2. There were no excluded forums. However, when I enabled the option to exclude forums, but didn't actually select any I got this error: 

UPDATE `feed_actions` feed_actions  SET `action_enabled`=true,`action_enable_comments`=true,`action_bitoptions`=3 WHERE action_type_id=1 
IPS\Db\Exception: Unknown column 'action_enable_comments' in 'field list' (1054)
#0 /home/admin/public_html/system/Db/Db.php(870): IPS\_Db->preparedQuery('UPDATE `feed_ac...', Array)
#1 /home/admin/public_html/system/Patterns/ActiveRecord.php(489): IPS\_Db->update('feed_actions', Array, Array)
#2 /home/admin/public_html/system/Node/Model.php(2014): IPS\Patterns\_ActiveRecord->save()
#3 /home/admin/public_html/system/Node/Model.php(2653): IPS\Node\_Model->save()
#4 /home/admin/public_html/system/Node/Controller.php(383): IPS\Node\_Model->saveForm(Array)
#5 [internal function]: IPS\Node\_Controller->form()
#6 /home/admin/public_html/system/Dispatcher/Controller.php(85): call_user_func(Array)
#7 /home/admin/public_html/system/Node/Controller.php(63): IPS\Dispatcher\_Controller->execute()
#8 /home/admin/public_html/applications/feed/modules/admin/feed/actions.php(31): IPS\Node\_Controller->execute()
#9 /home/admin/public_html/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(129): IPS\feed\modules\admin\feed\_actions->execute()
#10 /home/admin/public_html/admin/index.php(13): IPS\_Dispatcher->run()
#11 {main}

Edit: I get the same error when I attempt to disable "honor permissions" 

A new version has been uploaded to the Marketplace. It contains a fix for this issue.

10 hours ago, ProSkill said:

I left you a one star review, and requested a refund. Your idea of support is sorely lacking. 

Allow me to explain the reasoning here. At this point, since I can't reproduce it, and no one else has this issue, the logical explanation here is that you have a conflicting application or plugin somewhere. Now, you have the following options:

1. You can provide me with installation files for every single application and plugin you have (yes, even if you have paid for them, and even if they are custom to your site). I would set up a duplicate environment here and see if I can reproduce the issue. (Note that the level of effort here is well beyond the normal scope of support, but whatever.)

2. You can enable/disable every plugin and application, one at a time, until you find the conflict. You would then need to provide me with the installation file for the conflicting modification.

3. You could just give me temporary access to your site (instead of proprietary files) and I can find the conflict  (likely faster than you can). You could then delete the admin account so that I could never get back in. 

In each of these, I would have to review the code to determine whose issue it is. It might be mine, or it might be the author of the conflicting modification. If it's mine, I'll fix it, but if it's not, you'd have to go back to the other developer.

The fastest and most efficient way to do this is to give me access. I have to be honest - I really don't have the time to set up an environment. If you choose to go that route, it would likely be a few days before I could get back to you. With access I could do it immediately.

I'll just stick with the refund. The juice clearly isn't worth the squeeze. I was really just trying to test this out based on a recommendation from someone else.  I  know it might seem old fashioned, but when I buy something I expect it to work right out of the box.

Edited by ProSkill

Its not unheard of for an author to request temporary access to help them solve a problem for a client with a purchased file, especially if they are not able to reproduce it either on their own 'test site' and/or have not seen it happen on other clients sites either.

Obviously it is completely your free choice if you wish to give them (or not give them) that access to do this to hopefully assist you :)

It is slightly difficult to check/support a file however without access, and for say 'official support' for an IPS product, its stated in the the Standards that support would be limited etc in this case (note this is 'official products' I'm speaking of here) so having read the last two pages of this topic, I feel the author may of exhausted all the sensible options available to her without recourse to 'access'

Regarding your request, I'm assuming you've submitted an email for this ? Please contact me via a PM if you are not sure what is needed for this.

I have giving access to a few people and have never had an issue. I created an account just for that purpose and the account stays as a member unless someone needs access then I change it. I think from what I know and seen of the developers here on the site you don't have anything to worry about. ;) 

16 minutes ago, CP said:

I have giving access to a few people and have never had an issue. I created an account just for that purpose and the account stays as a member unless someone needs access then I change it. I think from what I know and seen of the developers here on the site you don't have anything to worry about. ;) 

x2

Giving access sometimes is the only way to fix issues, thats the standard. And it seems is the only solution here

20 hours ago, ProSkill said:

I'll just stick with the refund. The juice clearly isn't worth the squeeze. I was really just trying to test this out based on a recommendation from someone else.  I  know it might seem old fashioned, but when I buy something I expect it to work right out of the box.

Ok, but this is software, not a tv or a car. Things breaks, the only think you have to do is give the coder the tools to fix your problem

On 11/5/2016 at 8:26 PM, ProSkill said:

This is not how I read her responses. :) She offered to get access to you're site so she could take a look around and see if she can fix the problem. You didn't want to do that.  She offered to even set up an environment (which most people wouldn't do) to see what might be going on but you still want a refund. 

I am sorry, but I fail to see how her support was "sorely lacking." :) 

10 hours ago, SammyS said:

x2

Giving access sometimes is the only way to fix issues, thats the standard. And it seems is the only solution here

I have a duty to protect my member's information. I am not going to hand out administrative access to my site just to get this mod working. There is nothing special about my site in terms of customization, and I only have one third-party application and it hasn't caused an issue with any other plugin or app that I've installed. If you choose to put your member's information at risk by giving administrative access away to so that people can troubleshoot their own apps then so be it, but I am not willing to take that risk. My comment about the support being lacking, was in reference to the fact that it took 10 days to get a response after I posted the error log that I was getting, and her response was that the error message was unrelated even though later she apparently updated the mod to "fix" the issue .

10 hours ago, CP said:

This is not how I read her responses. :) She offered to get access to you're site so she could take a look around and see if she can fix the problem. You didn't want to do that.  She offered to even set up an environment (which most people wouldn't do) to see what might be going on but you still want a refund. 

I am sorry, but I fail to see how her support was "sorely lacking." :) 

She said that AFTER I made my comment about wanting a refund. 

Edited by ProSkill
14 hours ago, AndyF said:

Its not unheard of for an author to request temporary access to help them solve a problem for a client with a purchased file, especially if they are not able to reproduce it either on their own 'test site' and/or have not seen it happen on other clients sites either.

Obviously it is completely your free choice if you wish to give them (or not give them) that access to do this to hopefully assist you :)

It is slightly difficult to check/support a file however without access, and for say 'official support' for an IPS product, its stated in the the Standards that support would be limited etc in this case (note this is 'official products' I'm speaking of here) so having read the last two pages of this topic, I feel the author may of exhausted all the sensible options available to her without recourse to 'access'

Regarding your request, I'm assuming you've submitted an email for this ? Please contact me via a PM if you are not sure what is needed for this.

I sent an e-mail to marketplace@invisionpower.com on Saturday. 

15 hours ago, ProSkill said:

I sent an e-mail to marketplace@invisionpower.com on Saturday. 

OK.

Please allow a few days (excluding weekends) for a reply. :) If you've not heard anything back after a reasonable time, feel free to ask me to chase it up for you (just fire a PM at me) if needed.

19 hours ago, ProSkill said:

I have a duty to protect my member's information. I am not going to hand out administrative access to my site just to get this mod working. There is nothing special about my site in terms of customization, and I only have one third-party application and it hasn't caused an issue with any other plugin or app that I've installed. If you choose to put your member's information at risk by giving administrative access away to so that people can troubleshoot their own apps then so be it, but I am not willing to take that risk. My comment about the support being lacking, was in reference to the fact that it took 10 days to get a response after I posted the error log that I was getting, and her response was that the error message was unrelated even though later she apparently updated the mod to "fix" the issue .

She said that AFTER I made my comment about wanting a refund. 

1. I asked for access on October 25. Please look back through this thread. If you had an issue with giving access, you should have said so immediately, not waited 10 days to ask me for an update... when I specifically said that I would like access.

2. I did fix the error you were getting. It is still unrelated. And why is "fix" in quotes? The error you posted was fixed. If you are putting it in quotes, you are calling me a liar. I will not tolerate people questioning my honesty or my capability.

3. I did NOT ask for access after you requested a refund. Please go back and read the thread. I asked for it WEEKS AGO. Please stop trying to make me look bad, this is just ridiculous.

As I mentioned in my post above, if you are are unable to provide access (and from what I read, the author has exhausted all other options and no one else seems to be able to produce this issue) then support is limited.

It will be a decision of Management regarding your refund request however as once it goes to the email its out of my hands. :)

On 11/8/2016 at 4:38 PM, HeadStand said:

1. I asked for access on October 25. Please look back through this thread. If you had an issue with giving access, you should have said so immediately, not waited 10 days to ask me for an update... when I specifically said that I would like access.

2. I did fix the error you were getting. It is still unrelated. And why is "fix" in quotes? The error you posted was fixed. If you are putting it in quotes, you are calling me a liar. I will not tolerate people questioning my honesty or my capability.

3. I did NOT ask for access after you requested a refund. Please go back and read the thread. I asked for it WEEKS AGO. Please stop trying to make me look bad, this is just ridiculous.

1. You didn't respond for 10 days after I posted the error log and asked if that was helpful. 

2. I wrote it in quotes because I didn't test it my self and I couldn't verify that it fixed anything. 

3. I wasn't saying that you asked me for access after my post. I was saying that you only offered to setup a test environment after that post. Asking people to give you full admin access is not a reasonable expectation. 

On 11/9/2016 at 0:35 PM, AndyF said:

As I mentioned in my post above, if you are are unable to provide access (and from what I read, the author has exhausted all other options and no one else seems to be able to produce this issue) then support is limited.

It will be a decision of Management regarding your refund request however as once it goes to the email its out of my hands. :)

I have not received a response since last Saturday. 

I don't get why anyone would give Administrative access to their site so that a mod creator can troubleshoot their own work. It's a bad practice, and it puts your members and yourself at risk, particularly if you accept payments on your website.   Secondly, what is to stop someone from knowingly creating a mod that doesn't work so that they can demand admin access to customer sites to steal information?  Does IPB handout administrative to access to third-party mod developers? I don't have ill will towards HeadStand. The mod simply isn't working on my site, and I am not willing to put my site at risk so that she can troubleshoot it. When I buy something I expect it to work, It's not working so I would like a refund. It's that simple. Quite frankly Andy the fact that you are supportive of people handing out this kind of information is scary. What other company says "Yeah, go ahead and give anonymous people on the internet full access to your website". 

Edited by ProSkill

Being concerned about giving ACP access is a valid concern, and a concern that site administrators should never take lightly. That is a decision for each administrator to make.

With third-party applications there are many variables in play. Every site is set up differently (e.g., configurations, modifications, applications/plugins, server set up, etc.), and so it is impossible to take into account of everything. In most situations the applications do work out of the box. There are some cases when applications do not work as intended and part of the troubleshooting process is to determine whether the issue is global or isolated. As far as I can tell the issue is not global and the application author could not replicate what you've experienced. Based on what I've read, the issue seems to be isolated to your site. There's only so much you can do by posting replies back and forth.

The author asked for ACP access, not full ACP access to be specific. You could have PM'ed her and discuss what she'll need access to. If you do give out ACP access, you can restrict the access levels, such as restricting access to your members and payment information. For this particular app, it's unlikely she'll need access to those information anyway. But don't quote me as I don't know what the author requires. Below is what she asked for. I don't see "full access", just "ACP credentials". Excuse me for chiming in. :p

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 3:59 PM, HeadStand said:

If neither of the above are the answer, I will need ACP credentials in order to troubleshoot this on your site directly. You can PM me with this information.

Giving access to the ACP is risky I agree. But, giving that developers want (for the most part) to keep a good clean reputation are not going to do things that put your site or members at risk. I am sure they know better then to put their reputation at risk by doing something stupid, They can't make any money if the community does not trust them and they have a bad reputation. Just something to think about. :) 

1. You didn't respond for 10 days after I posted the error log and asked if that was helpful. 

2. I wrote it in quotes because I didn't test it my self and I couldn't verify that it fixed anything. 

3. I wasn't saying that you asked me for access after my post. I was saying that you only offered to setup a test environment after that post. Asking people to give you full admin access is not a reasonable expectation. 

I have not received a response since last Saturday. 

I will chase this for you. :) Can you please confirm if you received (or not) the automated "thank you for contacting us" type reply to your initial email ? I'll contact you via PM with any information I have.

Quite frankly Andy the fact that you are supportive of people handing out this kind of information is scary. What other company says "Yeah, go ahead and give anonymous people on the internet full access to your website". 

I'd not call it supportive as such, I just have to stop and look at things from "both sides" as such. :) I simply meant that once all the other "without access" options are exhausted then the author is limited in any further assistance. I've never directly advised anyone to "hand over their keys" as such to their site to anyone. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Any update?  

pages_widget OutOfRangeException::0

Backtrace:

#0 /home/admin/domains/website.com/public_html/applications/cms/sources/Pages/Page.php(1231): IPS\_Widget::load(Object(IPS\feed\Application), 'feed', 'tkrjqv9t9', Array, NULL, 'horizontal')
#1 /home/admin/domains/website.com/public_html/applications/cms/sources/Pages/Page.php(2104): IPS\cms\Pages\_Page->getWidgets()
#2 /home/admin/domains/website.com/public_html/applications/cms/modules/front/pages/page.php(72): IPS\cms\Pages\_Page->output()
#3 /home/admin/domains/website.com/public_html/applications/cms/modules/front/pages/page.php(44): IPS\cms\modules\front\pages\_page->view()
#4 /home/admin/domains/website.com/public_html/system/Dispatcher/Controller.php(96): IPS\cms\modules\front\pages\_page->manage()
#5 /home/admin/domains/website.com/public_html/applications/cms/modules/front/pages/page.php(34): IPS\Dispatcher\_Controller->execute()
#6 /home/admin/domains/website.com/public_html/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(129): IPS\cms\modules\front\pages\_page->execute()
#7 /home/admin/domains/website.com/public_html/index.php(13): IPS\_Dispatcher->run()
#8 {main}

On 11/19/2016 at 10:05 PM, Joel R said:

Any update?  

pages_widget OutOfRangeException::0

Backtrace:

#0 /home/admin/domains/website.com/public_html/applications/cms/sources/Pages/Page.php(1231): IPS\_Widget::load(Object(IPS\feed\Application), 'feed', 'tkrjqv9t9', Array, NULL, 'horizontal')
#1 /home/admin/domains/website.com/public_html/applications/cms/sources/Pages/Page.php(2104): IPS\cms\Pages\_Page->getWidgets()
#2 /home/admin/domains/website.com/public_html/applications/cms/modules/front/pages/page.php(72): IPS\cms\Pages\_Page->output()
#3 /home/admin/domains/website.com/public_html/applications/cms/modules/front/pages/page.php(44): IPS\cms\modules\front\pages\_page->view()
#4 /home/admin/domains/website.com/public_html/system/Dispatcher/Controller.php(96): IPS\cms\modules\front\pages\_page->manage()
#5 /home/admin/domains/website.com/public_html/applications/cms/modules/front/pages/page.php(34): IPS\Dispatcher\_Controller->execute()
#6 /home/admin/domains/website.com/public_html/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(129): IPS\cms\modules\front\pages\_page->execute()
#7 /home/admin/domains/website.com/public_html/index.php(13): IPS\_Dispatcher->run()
#8 {main}

Thank you @Joel R for patiently working with me while I resolved this issue.

A new version is available in the Marketplace. The error above was related to status updates with links, this has been fixed.