IP.Content to Pages: the nightmare on IPS Street

TracyIsland

• Management

so far, from my pov and as a "old customer", i'm reviewing all option including leaving invision (i compare cost for migrating to 4.0 and migrating to other solution).

after trying on a beta test environment and not able to "migrate it" completely.

after having review that all my content need to be re-coded, 

etc etc... i try to figure out how this 4.0. could be "productive and helpful" for my tiny business without spending 4k$ in coding, skining... 

side note, the no documentation at release not helping to understand the work to be done and the understanding of page, because this is my biggest concern, my site is build around the old ip.content and this is this part i need to be done at first and with no errors at the release of the upgrade :)

Sorry for your frustration. Perhaps you could outline your objective and we (the community) can let you know if there's something you're perhaps missing that could make things easier. 

Hate to break it to ya, but it doesn't mean ALMOST start over.  It means ... Start over.  Completely.  Fully.  In totality.  From scratch.  Rebuild all.  

While this has forced ALL IPS users to rebuild their websites from scratch, it's been a known fact since the very beginning for v4. They've never stated that IP.Content blocks or templates would migrate over; they've been very clear that those items would need to be recreated.  

With that said, at least from my personal perspective, I actually view it as a positive: even though I've invested a lot into my v3 website, the new version gives me an opportunity to re-invision (get it?) my website from the ground up with new features and functionality from the very beginning. 

i'm totally fine with rebuilding my site or re-invisioning it but only if all functionalty are presented to me that was heavily used in previous version 

i'm waiting to rebuild and upgrade my 2 sites because of the limitation of fields or missing fields since IPS4 was gold till now 

hopefully we will see the relationship and DateTime (or improve the current Date Field to handle Time) fields soon

Sorry for your frustration. Perhaps you could outline your objective and we (the community) can let you know if there's something you're perhaps missing that could make things easier. 

simple : documentation for the page module like the ip.content that permit to understand well (i'm not coder but i do a lot of works i let you judge it here : www.recifalnews.fr ) to get correct informations to handle things to begin the "re-born" and the perhaps futur of my site in 4.0 :)

ps: "and for now the convert to UTF8mb4 of my test site (copy from my live) and the migrating of the 3.4.8 to 4.0.8 in the test environment lead to for utf8mb4 => driver error and for the migration => lot of error code and process not finished... this is puzzling"

again i don't want this to be seen as free rent, but with long year of using and paying services i'm really surprise that i can't do nothing well from my own side...

Well my question for you @recifbox is what is impossible to recreate? I mean short of a few things I have been extremely satisfied with the upgrade to 4.0. While some things were forgotten like the filtering that makes things easier for the end user, there have been significant improvements that have not only made my day but really helped me get to a better place with my community. Specifically the fact that you can now create fields per category and make them a filter option. This not only took a few of my databases from 40+ categories down to 15 each because now instead of creating categories to separate my directories I can use filters so I mitigate a ton of clicking.

Yes I have to re-do my blocks but some of them are so painfully easy I ask "why hasn't this been here my whole life?".

I think you are neglecting an important fact with this change and upgrade, while things are still being settled down, added, upgraded etc? You have one of the most intelligent, best looking, snazzy community softwares out there. If the fact that you have to upgrade and it will be difficult/time consuming is your biggest problem? I think you have a good problem.

Hate to break it to ya, but it doesn't mean ALMOST start over.  It means ... Start over.  Completely.  Fully.  In totality.  From scratch.  Rebuild all.  

While this has forced ALL IPS users to rebuild their websites from scratch, it's been a known fact since the very beginning for v4. They've never stated that IP.Content blocks or templates would migrate over; they've been very clear that those items would need to be recreated.  

With that said, at least from my personal perspective, I actually view it as a positive: even though I've invested a lot into my v3 website, the new version gives me an opportunity to re-invision (get it?) my website from the ground up with new features and functionality from the very beginning. 

well, gosh, that's why I made a quote out of Rhett's upgrade instructions ... I somehow missed that bit of news.  Your post kind of reminds me of the scene in Batman Begins when the Wayne Enterprises CEO, Rutger Hauer tells Morgan Freeman that he's fired, and then in a rather demeaning tone says, "didn't you get the memo?"

Since 2009, I have been building up our community site. We have 100 IP. Content blocks.  I am heartened to hear your upbeat outlook about how good it will be to tear down everything I have worked so hard to create just to build a new community, whether or not it needed to be replaced.

Thanks Joel, your the bestest.

and if I have a problem ... don't the words 'End Of Line' factor in here?  Yes, we are having a gun jammed into our temple, if we want support. 

Let me ask you something directly then. Of those 100+ blocks, how many are stuffed into a sidebar somewhere or contents of a page somewhere?

Have you actually sat down and played with the page builder/block manager? While some options have yet to be added to the blocks(coming soon by the roadmap) the base concept is quite good.... you can accomplish a LOT more without getting your hands dirty or hiring a dev with mere drag and drop.... you will likely end up spending a LOT less time than you think. In the end, if you'll step back for a second, you'll also realize any further additions will be much easier and cheaper.

i think my little text will be read as total negative, but this is just what i get in my mind... i try to stay "positive" but this is very hard at this point of the time :)

to be clear, when i have started my journey with my site i have made a choice of products to put online my works, 3 years ... there is some bug or glitch but with time and help including  ips tech helps i have been able to put online contents and forget that behind there is a "complexe software i have learn to use over time".

when i hear that 4.0 will be around the corner i was very anxious about the amount of works needed to put in this new version to be sure to "at last" get the same experience for my readers on a first basis (same skins, same configuration etc...) but in the same time that was also a possibility to offer new things at the same time.

then the first beta test go out and permit to upgrade our community and i setup a test environment to see what going on with "migration", the first time the migration to 4.0 and utf8 was good and working, there was bug but possibly fixed in near futur...

and then i face the page challenge, all was changed, no documentation and a lot of heavy works to learn and try to get the same feeling as my 3.4.x site because my site is built around ip.content.

here i don't speak about skining effort also to get the same look... and begin to think about "upgrading my skin design" when you have to re learn all the structure...

so i reseted my test environment and waited a fresh version to make another try... in the middle the final 3.4.8 was out so i patched my live and updated my test. then i decided to put some effort back, because  modules i use was near completion from tier developers that was time to look at this.

well i was unable to do a correct migration from 3.48 to 4.0.7,4.0.8 and 4.0.9 more surprising utf8 converter have leaded to driver error after converting and modifying the file needed... i was very disapointed... i'm not heavy coder or sys admin but i think i have done an honest job from my side with the help of community here and facing this trouble was very painful and lead me to begin to thing if time and money invested for a "little business" like mine worst it. and finally when i open tickets to submit it i get a no support for test environment and on bug tracker a "open a ticket" ...ook lol... but of course i will not convert my live before my test works 100% with all module and all ready to do not lost my readers :)

(ps to conclude this text i have also in the same time asked to community here and invision some realistic quote to get an idea of what will cost me to have the works done correctly ... and learn this new 4.0 in //). 

side positive note: i use this 4.0 here from the beginning and yes i see the improvement, the good feature etc etc but..

thenical side note : my gods this is a total reset.. and i'm not sure that lot of people get the level or the time to re-learn all from scratch, perhaps i'm wrong.

I do understand that it will take time darlin. I'm having to start my mod from scratch and I'm still scratching my head over how to work this whole thing. I am like a level 3 coder in a level 10 environment. I was very comfortable with IPB 3 and below.

I think it may take time but I think overall it can be the better move for you. I know for a fact that the look and feel now outstrip everything I know of. I certainly think that it's cutting edge and I'm a woman that like cutting edge and pretty.

I understand your plight though and certainly agree that you should take your time in getting it done start to finish but do believe that you will make the right choice for you.

Thanks for the follow-up, Josh and I appreciate the positive points you've mentioned for reinforcement. 

I hadn't seen the other topic you were referencing until now. I don't see an inference that we're not going to add back some or all of the filters, we're just trying to get an idea of what's important -- as in "have to have it now." From there, we can prioritize and say "ok, developers -- these are really hot ticket items that need to be addressed right now" and what we can let slip for a few releases. Everything has to be prioritized and we now recognize the filters are an oversight (and with a brand new platform of 8 applications, there will undoubtedly be things to address over the long-haul as I'm sure you can appreciate), but unfortunately, hindsight is 20/20 - we have to prioritize and balance. "All of them" is not helpful for immediate prioritization purposes. We understand the desire for all of them and we're not saying that's not an option, but it's not an option that will materialize tomorrow, so we need to build a general idea of our short-term goals and long-term ideas; that's all. :)

Since this may or may not have been a reference to my post in the other thread discussing block filters, I'll go over the ones I use:

Block for article feeds

1. Category Filter
  2. Record Visibility
  3. Record Pin Status
  4. Column Sort Order
  5. Order Direction
  6. Offset
  7. Limit

Block for forum feeds

1. Topic Status
  2. Forums filter
  3. Honor Forum Permissions
  4. Root Level Forums Only
  5. Topic Visibility
  6. Minimum Posts
  7. Column to Sort By
  8. Order Direction
  9. Offset
  10. Limit
  11. Started by (filter by friends) - though this will be rendered useless without the Friends system in place.

I would add to the article feed to select custom fields for filtering.

Are we also going to be able to promote to article again?  Am I missing that feature?

Need same as above for Gallery, filter for Category/Album,

Also need Random function to present RANDOM topics, articles, images, blogs.

• 3 months later...

Having upgraded, I decided that it was best to forget all but the basic blocks until they are added back (I hope) it is a bitter pill to swallow really after spending so much time creating nice custom blocks (with a lot of help from marcher of course) but hopefully it will pick up. Parts of the whole suite are a bit buggy really but lots of it are brilliant. So I am hoping for the best. 

(glass half full)

For your custom blocks ... Why can't you add those? They're custom.  

So you would create a blank html or php block and put your custom code in.  

Custom blocks have always been available ... It's the block filtering that is unavailable.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/20/2015, 12:10:45, Lindy said:

As Ralf noted, we are working on more powerful filtering options for blocks. It will be in one of the next few releases; not months away. It seems you haven't upgraded literally in years, so surely you have nothing to lose by waiting a few weeks to prove or disprove your cynicism. :) 

Lindy, it's been a few weeks...and then a few months. Will the block filtering return or was my cynicism founded? :)

• 7 months later...
On 6/20/2015 at 0:10 AM, Lindy said:

As Ralf noted, we are working on more powerful filtering options for blocks. It will be in one of the next few releases; not months away. It seems you haven't upgraded literally in years, so surely you have nothing to lose by waiting a few weeks to prove or disprove your cynicism. ^_^ 

Well, it's been a year and you just thought I was being cynical. ;)  No, I'd like to think of myself as a realist. Accordingly, let's be honest, you're never going to add this back in, are you? Looks like the other thread is unanswered as well.

The only way I see to filter blocks is to use php to manually query the database. What a hassle and so ugly from a technical perspective. Don't people need filtering options on a "front page" (or other pages) to tie the site together? I remember when that was the whole point of the block system...

Sooner or later, I'll have to upgrade. Be nice to have the features to do it right like the old version was capable of doing.

Archived