IPS 4 Gallery - Needs Work

Joel R

My community has adopted and will extensively rely upon IP.Gallery in the newest IPS 4, and my members have been uploading photos left and right.  It's made me aware of some shortcomings:

1.  When one of my registered members uploads a photo, the notification says "Guest has posted new images."  It's not a guest, it's a registered member.  I happen to know it's a registered member because when I get an email of the same notification, it displays the member avatar. 

2.  When all permissions for image uploading is turned off for a category (because it's meant to serve only as a category title, not a container of images or albums), IPS still display 0 images.  You don't say?  Please remove the sort / display / filter bar when image uploading is turned off, because there are no images to  display.  

3.  When I try to move photos, I don't have the option of creating an album when the destination category allows the option.  

4.  When I try to move photos, I'm given a choice of moving into a category or an album.  IPS apparently allows me to move photos into both choices, simultaneously.  IPS needs to overhaul those two choices into a single option.  

5.  I don't have an option of making the category to be images-only, albums-only, or both.  The real-life example from my gallery has shown the results to be a mess of single images that ought to be in albums.  

6.  Lastly, I cannot emphasize enough that album creation is not intuitive.  I've brought this up before.  My members simply don't know when or where to click on "Create an Album" without detailed instructions.  Stop thinking that your album creation is an intuitive process, because my membership has demonstrably shown it to be not.  Users don't understand to upload images first, and then later assign to an album, especially when the button to create an album is not prominently featured. It's logically more sensical to create the album to hold the images, and then to fill the album with images.  Just to make my point:

- You do not write a post first, and then later create the topic

- You do not write a blog post, and then later create the blog

- So why are we adding images first, when we haven't created the album?

Agree needs some work!

Please add video link embeds as well! Members can upload videos but if we want video categories we should also have the ability to allow links to save on bandwidth.

This would be a good category level feature. Thanks

Eh, all points need to be addressed.  

Some of them are just flat-out bugs.  The others are simply missing features for existing function.  

I'm not even asking for advanced or innovative features ... off the top of my head: albums with linked content from rest of suite, or photo editing, or user and geo tagging, or membergroup permissions on albums, or different display templates, or better slideshow features, or a favorites / lightbox system, or downloading albums, or Commerce integration, or a duplicate checker, or pan and zoom, or right-click protection.  These are things that I see as fairly stock in most stand-alone gallery systems, and I'm not even going to bother trying to push for any of these.  

• Management

It seems to me there's a mixture of bugs (like #1) and feedback in there. We'll need to review further, but #6 is going to be resolved as we agree it's not as intuitive as it needs to be. 

It seems to me there's a mixture of bugs (like #1) and feedback in there. We'll need to review further, but #6 is going to be resolved as we agree it's not as intuitive as it needs to be. 

​Yes, I like it mix it up to keep it interesting ... sort of like how I mix up orange juice and vodka to make myself a screwdriver, which is the only thing keeping me sane while I work on IPS 4 every night.  Kidding.  

​My members hate having to create albums. I think there should be an option for every member to simply have a default album. Essentially they upload pictures and never have to think about where pictures go. Each member has their own album by default. Or is this already possible.

My community has adopted and will extensively rely upon IP.Gallery in the newest IPS 4, and my members have been uploading photos left and right.  It's made me aware of some shortcomings:

1.  When one of my registered members uploads a photo, the notification says "Guest has posted new images."  It's not a guest, it's a registered member.  I happen to know it's a registered member because when I get an email of the same notification, it displays the member avatar. 

2.  When all permissions for image uploading is turned off for a category (because it's meant to serve only as a category title, not a container of images or albums), IPS still display 0 images.  You don't say?  Please remove the sort / display / filter bar when image uploading is turned off, because there are no images to  display.  

3.  When I try to move photos, I don't have the option of creating an album when the destination category allows the option.  

4.  When I try to move photos, I'm given a choice of moving into a category or an album.  IPS apparently allows me to move photos into both choices, simultaneously.  IPS needs to overhaul those two choices into a single option.  

5.  I don't have an option of making the category to be images-only, albums-only, or both.  The real-life example from my gallery has shown the results to be a mess of single images that ought to be in albums.  

6.  Lastly, I cannot emphasize enough that album creation is not intuitive.  I've brought this up before.  My members simply don't know when or where to click on "Create an Album" without detailed instructions.  Stop thinking that your album creation is an intuitive process, because my membership has demonstrably shown it to be not.  Users don't understand to upload images first, and then later assign to an album, especially when the button to create an album is not prominently featured. It's logically more sensical to create the album to hold the images, and then to fill the album with images.  Just to make my point:

- You do not write a post first, and then later create the topic

- You do not write a blog post, and then later create the blog

- So why are we adding images first, when we haven't created the album?

:wub:

• Management

Feedback from development: 

1. Bug
  2. Bug
  3. Feature suggestion - shouldn't be an issue to do.
  4. Bug
  5. You can, through permissions, make it so people cannot upload images (thereby making it album only) and you can also turn off the ability to create albums (thereby making it image only). If this doesn't behave as expected, it would be a bug -- please file a bug report.
  6. As discussed, we agree and this will be revised - no ETA at this time. 

5. You can, through permissions, make it so people cannot upload images (thereby making it album only) and you can also turn off the ability to create albums (thereby making it image only). If this doesn't behave as expected, it would be a bug -- please file a bug report.

Thanks for confirming the bugs on everything else.  

But for #5 ... wait a second ... If you can't upload images, that would prevent albums since you can't create albums without uploading images first.  As far as I can tell, I don't see how you can create a category of albums only, there's simply no settings or permissions that lead to that result.  

Feedback from development: 

1. Bug
  2. Bug
  3. Feature suggestion - shouldn't be an issue to do.
  4. Bug
  6. As discussed, we agree and this will be revised - no ETA at this time. 

​You got me on this on @Lindy #5, If one can't upload images how can they add stuff to the a album folder?

Agree needs some work!

Please add video link embeds as well! Members can upload videos but if we want video categories we should also have the ability to allow links to save on bandwidth.

This would be a good category level feature. Thanks

Video and image link embeds are both missing.  

​Video embedding through gallery needs to be added.

For community in the cloud customers, even if hosting externally, we still have a 20MB file limit, not helpfull.

Video and image link embeds are both missing.  

​I found you can right click image in gallery and select "Copy Image URL" and paste that URL as your image link, and it works, but it is not intuitive/ideal at all.  I was lost for a while looking for the "Image Link" button myself.

​Love number 6... It is the most important thing on gallery...

What about video embeds to gallery.

​Yes please! I have a video-heavy site on the forums and want them to be a able to use Gallery, but embed only for bandwidth. We shouldn't have to build our own gallery app with Pages when we have Gallery. 

Archived