Setting up a VPS for the first time - looking for advice

Hi,

I am thinking about starting out with a VPS from Linode to host a new IP. Community. Looking forward to learn managing an VPS, but I need some advice on where to start. :) The reason I am asking here is because I am sure I could get some useful advice here. I know a bit about Linux but it is quite limited and there is a lot to choose from. First, obviously I have to choose a Linux distribution. I narrowed it down to Ubuntu, Debian and CentOS. I am leaning towards Debian, however others say that I should start with Ubuntu because it is more easier for those who aren't well-versed. Others again say that Debian is more stable, etc. Secondly, the choose between Nginx in a LEMP stack or Apache in a LAMP stack. Leaning towards Nginx here given the praise it has received, however others point me to Centmin Mod stack. Again, unsure on what to choose here. What would you recommend? 

At a quick glance over the Linode documentation and DigitalOcean tutorials - it seems there is a lot of useful information and tutorials without having to scan the internet from start to end. I also appreciate any pointers to any other useful information, guides, etc if you have any to share. 

Thanks (and sorry for my odd English)! 

Good advice: No matter what distro you'll choose =>  Get virtual box, create a virtual machine and try to set it up as home server, to host your website there.  Play with it for at least 1 month, try to maintain it (upgrade php,mysql,etc..).

If it works and you don't run into trouble, get a VPN;)

If this is a public facing server, I highly recommend you do as Daniel said, however I would say do it for a year or more... most think you can just set it up and go, you can of course, however you are contributing to the problems of the internet, malware, spam, etc if you are not well educated on how to properly administer a server and keep it secure. 

If you're new to linux or you just want to take the pain out of management,  I would suggest using a panel to handle your versions, updates etc, cpanel, direct admin, etc. 

If this is a public facing server, I highly recommend you do as Daniel said, however I would say do it for a year or more... most think you can just set it up and go, you can of course, however you are contributing to the problems of the internet, malware, spam, etc if you are not well educated on how to properly administer a server and keep it secure.

If you're new to linux or you just want to take the pain out of management,  I would suggest using a panel to handle your versions, updates etc, cpanel, direct admin, etc.

​I ran my own for a little better than 2 years before lightning tried to kick me out of my chair and cooked the server.... But it was 2 good years of playing and learning the ins and outs in server management. I am on my 3rd VPS totally unmamaged other than by me. Which would be a disaster had I not gone into them with the experience I have today...

Daniel brings up a strong point. Rhett makes it stronger....

my advice

1. learn how to install and setup virtualbox locally on computer/laptop and be sure to fully utilise virtualbox snapshot feature - this way you can test and play with various linux distros such as Debian, Ubuntu and CentOS without fear of making mistakes

2. then try each OS and web stack LAMP or LEMP on virtualbox and see which you prefer - best OS is the only you're most comfortable with

3. For Centmin Mod there's plenty of install guides including https://community.centminmod.com/threads/centmin-mod-1-2-3-eva2000-07-stable-install.623/ and even videos https://community.centminmod.com/threads/new-centmin-mod-08-beta-installation-youtube-video-uploaded.2490/

For production live site though stick with CentOS 6.6 if you had to choose a CentOS version. Centmin Mod has their own community forums too https://community.centminmod.com/

4.  On Debian/Ubuntu side there's EasyEngine https://rtcamp.com/easyengine/ similar to Centmin Mod for auto installer framework - more focused on wordpress but can host other stuff. They also have their own support forums at https://rtcamp.com/easyengine/

5. Of course auto installers like Centmin Mod and EasyEngine don't really help if you want to learn to do system administration manually by hand. But both are good to peak under the hood in their code (both open source) and see what they're doing. Both have Github hosted code https://github.com/rtCamp/easyengine and https://github.com/centminmod/centminmod

MariaDB is mysql, so you won't have any issues, it's just a tuned and tweaked version, such as percona. They all use a mysql base/core etc and put their own enhancements into it, this makes it a drop in replacement for most configurations.

MariaDB is actually now the default in Redhat/Centos latest versions too.

That sound awesome, I am using Centos 6.6 and looking to go to 7 soon.  I am going to make the switch since my community is not up and running yet.  Thanks Rhett!

​I just built two new servers with centos7, it's a larger change from previous major version changes, but all in a good way. 

​I just built two new servers with centos7, it's a larger change from previous major version changes, but all in a good way. 

​Did you use iptables or firewalld? I found I reverted to iptables.

OP: If you want a VPS without the pain of managing the updates yourself there are some good managed services out there. It might be just what you need. :)

I was going to suggest perhaps consider a fully managed VPS, this way you can still learn etc and remain in control but if you have issues you have someone to turn to as well.

​The problem with this is that if he is starting a new Community, he does not have any kind of income from it. So, a VPS cost already some money, a full managed vps cost a lot more.

If the community helps, its not difficult at all to setup a basic vps to host a site. I started that way, never paid anyone to do it. 

Yes that's true there is a cost difference. although having said that could then move to an unmanaged one later on I guess. :)

The "use VirtualBox" tip is excellent too, Its a great piece of software I use it all the time.

​Did you use iptables or firewalld? I found I reverted to iptables.

OP: If you want a VPS without the pain of managing the updates yourself there are some good managed services out there. It might be just what you need. :)

​Yes I reverted also and needed to for certain items.

​The problem with this is that if he is starting a new Community, he does not have any kind of income from it. So, a VPS cost already some money, a full managed vps cost a lot more.

If the community helps, its not difficult at all to setup a basic vps to host a site. I started that way, never paid anyone to do it. 

​If ti's a new community, he can use shared hosting ;)  While it can be done, it's not very smart doing so from a security standpoint to protect your own site, but more importantly the rest of the internet imo.

MariaDB is mysql, so you won't have any issues, it's just a tuned and tweaked version, such as percona. They all use a mysql base/core etc and put their own enhancements into it, this makes it a drop in replacement for most configurations.

​MariaDB is more than just tuning and tweaking- it's a fork with some differing features and different implementations of common features. Percona is a set of performance patches maintained on top of Oracle's mySQL, and that's kind of similar to MariaDB 5.1-5.5, but there's a reason the version jumped from 5 to 10 ;)

MariaDB is actually now the default in Redhat/Centos latest versions too.

​MariaDB is more than just tuning and tweaking- it's a fork with some differing features and different implementations of common features. Percona is a set of performance patches maintained on top of Oracle's mySQL, and that's kind of similar to MariaDB 5.1-5.5, but there's a reason the version jumped from 5 to 10 ;)

​So all you got from this post is wanting to debate specifics?  lol 

Just pointing out the subtle but important differences. The part you bolded is descriptive of a patchset, not a fork. Especially the "they all" indicates they're the same process, which isn't true. This is an important distinction because Percona inherits all features and flaws directly from Oracle's mySQL and can occasionally take some from MariaDB. MariaDB, however, isn't a direct match with mySQL's codebase, so they usually can't just pull code straight from Oracle. In many cases they've implemented their own feature before or differently from Oracle and opted to keep their own because it was better in some way. See: threadpools.

Archived