IPS4 speed

Durango

Hi

I have a major issue with IPB considering to migrate to IPB for several existing communities

When i visit IPB on the official forum and then the official Xenforo forum, i immediately notice a huge difference : much faster on the xenforo forum

not the homepage, but the topics pages take 1 or 2s more to load on ipb (and i have the faster optic connection 500m/s)

tested on the official forums as i assume they must both have strong dedicated servers

So this is a major issue for me : why is it so laggy on IPB ? i was hoping IPB4 would be as fast as Xenforo but it looks like its not the case and its really annoying for users and also for admins

i really like IPB so im a bit disappointed with the speed problem

any opinions ?

You can look at the software once it is optimally performing and all aspects of caching are enabled but the real test will be what you are running on. It doesn't matter what software you're running if your hardware cannot accommodate for it ;)

With that in mind there are a lot of variables in "speed" of web software. 

You can look at the software once it is optimally performing and all aspects of caching are enabled but the real test will be what you are running on. It doesn't matter what software you're running if your hardware cannot accommodate for it ;)

With that in mind there are a lot of variables in "speed" of web software. 

​Not to mention server applications - Shared, VPS, Dedicated.

Also Server build - Memory, CPU, Drives and caching (IDE, Sata, Digital) Operating system, Web software and versions, backbone - Apache, Mysql, PhP.

Plus so many other variables to consider in server setup. Not to mention hosting, there are the Good and Bad there also.

I'm not seeing any speed issues on this site currently.  Everything is snappy for me.  Charles has also stated that none of the performance enhancements like caching and such are currently running... which bodes well for when they do switch them on.

Is it slightly slower than the Xenforo site at the moment? Possibly, but not enough to be humanly measurable. 

Non-issue.

As this is a beta version we are still optimizing the speed :)

Really? Since the beginning of IPB4, this forum is more than slow.

It takes sometimes 10-15sec just to load a page... when it took 2-3 seconds before

Seriously, there is no way to upgrade with such performances.

It's pretty disappointing.

• Management

Really? Since the beginning of IPB4, this forum is more than slow.

It takes sometimes 10-15sec just to load a page... when it took 2-3 seconds before

Seriously, there is no way to upgrade with such performances.

It's pretty disappointing.

​It takes you 10 - 15 seconds to load a page? What page are you referring to? I would be very surprised if that were true.

The biggest performance advantage for IPB4 will be the easy way to cache guests that already works on beta :)

I didn't have the time to benchmark if it is faster using the onboard option with Memcache for example or if it is faster to do it in the hard way with Nginx fcgi cache ....

Xenforo can do that also with a few edits (not so easy as one click on IPB) and not out of the box solution as some lines of custom coding needed to get the magic HIT ...

Xenforo has every query optimized one by one and they seems to do a very good job at it !

Invision is more easy to use and more good looking with more hooks than Xenforo so more flexible...

Xenforo  at the moment seems to be more secure.....

So there are a lot to think before you compare both products...

Also comparing the products by visiting the homepages of them is  wrong !!!!!!

We do not know what hardware they use.

We do not know how they optimize each server.

We do not know what caching methods they use and how they configure it.

We do not know if anyone is using any Ram partition..

We do not know if they use Myisam or Innodb ....

And i can type for days more and more as performance is not something that depends from one or two things...

I hope to see soon Official IPB forum to use Nginx as it is a lot faster than Apache :)

It's already way faster than it was two weeks ago when we first applied beta on this site :)

​This is right.

I had nothing but errors and slow, slow pages and now, at least for me its lightening fast. Faster than the old board here, it's actually very noticeable.

When they upgraded it was a bit slow but nowadays the software seems to work perfectly fine for me :D

On the surface, Xenforo does seem a bit faster however with the excess of animations of Xenforo it does pose lag issues as well, especially on lower powered systems so tbh I find both XF and IPB to be equally adequate in speed.

Archived