Linear + in 3.2

Axel Wers

I am not satisfied with Linear+ removing in 3.2.x

Lot of my members are glad when they can see the first post on every page in topic. This first posts says "what is the theme in topic" and it's prevent against off-topic.

Another thing is, that we have NOT improved SEO in this way. Now meta destription is generated from the first post on each page.

So when you have page forums.domain.tld/topic/1-blahblah/page__st__50 and first post on this page has content for exmaple "yeah, you're right" this content is generated as description in Google for that page. Little stupid description. Linear+ is prevention against similar descriptions.

I vote to get rid of it. I doubt many people still use it. One of the main problems with IPB is it's getting cluttered. Removing things that hardly anyone uses any more makes sense to me. That's why so many people are raving about Xenforo because it's fairly clean looking and easier for people to figure out how to use.

3DKiwi

I honestly did not even know 3.1 had it so I thought it was already gone.
I have been on sites that use linear as the default topic view and I found it annoying to read topics that way.

How ever the idea of showing the first topic on every page is not a bad idea and for the reason you mentioned. Kind of makes the forum work more like a blog in that the first post becomes the blog entry and every thing after that is a comment for it.

Linear+ is already gone in 3.2. When we blog about stuff, it's usually stuff that is already done, not stuff we plan to do in the future.

Very very few people use this post layout (along with outline mode). So much so, in fact, that we get critical bugs reported to us regarding these areas after 3 or 4 versions have been released, simply because no one uses them. We want to focus our efforts on functionality that the majority of our community wants, not features that a small minority may have a use for. :)

I'm sure this feature can be brought back as a hook, if the demand is there :)

I say if some one makes it a hook call it blog view. I mean that is what it looks like if you show the first post on every page. As I mentioned above it is like a blog post and the replies are like the comments.

FYI, google objects to duplicate meta descriptions (check webmaster tools some time) so linear+ is most assuredly not "good for SEO".

Indeed I know that very well, which is why I have an issue with the way IP.content is set up but that is another topic.

FYI, google objects to duplicate meta descriptions (check webmaster tools some time) so linear+ is most assuredly not "good for SEO".

I know about this, better solution than have decription like "haha it's funny" what is not related to topic's theme and it's very short (what is the same issue for Google like duplicate description, FYI).

• 6 months later...

[img]

' alt='' class='ipsImage' >[/img]

Just saw it's gone [img]

' alt='' class='ipsImage' >[/img]

Now I'll have to forbid posting in sections where it's important that the first post is always visible. Not good. Not good at all.

I dare say someone (not me unfortunately) could write a hook to do something very similar, ie always display the first post in a topic above the rest, not "quite" the same but that may be even tidier.

We want to focus our efforts on functionality that the majority of our community wants, not features that a small minority may have a use for. [img]

[/img]

To be honest, I think that's an absolutely disgusting thing to say. If that's the case then what the hell is wrong with leaving it as an option? If people don't want it, they don't activate it. Pure and simple. If they do want it, they have the option to use it, instead of having a feature taken off of them, that IS useful for certain forums.

I think it should of been an option.

• 3 months later...

Removing things that hardly anyone uses any more makes sense to me.

How do you know hardly anyone uses it anymore? Did you poll all of the IPS customers? That seems to be the standard snarky comeback to blanket statements.

Linear + is great for keeping threads on topic, and quite frankly it's more useful as a makeshift blog than IP.Blog is, as sad as that may be.

I'd love to see a hook to get this functionality returned.

How do you know hardly anyone uses it anymore? Did you poll all of the IPS customers? That seems to be the standard snarky comeback to blanket statements.

Because I have a lot of members and not one member has complained. I don't consider my post was snarky.

Good luck getting it back. I think you're in for an uphill battle.

3DKiwi

Good luck getting it back. I think you're in for an uphill battle.

Not really. I had looked into creating a hook to return the functionality and the only thing stopping me is lacking the knowledge to perform a couple of specific functions. Neither of those dealing with actually getting the first post of the topic to display on each page. If anything, that would be the easy part. If I knew how to do a couple of other things, I'd be debugging that sucker right now to make available for people to use. I happen to like it myself, since you can lose track of what a topic was originally about when you're looking at the third or fourth page and you've been active in dozens of other topics.

Wait so all Linear+ does is show the first post of a thread on every page?

It shows the first post of the topic on each page, with a small break before showing the rest of the topic underneath it.

Archived