Download: iArcade System 1.0.0 Final

Andy Rixon

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On 2.3.6 I had a category in my tracker for game bugs. As it was only me who could install/delete games etc this mean other Admins and Staff didn't get bothered with reports that they could do nothing about.

Maybe a list of userid that would be notified either by pm or email.

or start a new thread in the staff forum?

Hi Collin and Andy, what a fantastic effort so far, it is great seeing some working going towards this. We have waited for the other arcade creaters to update us on their work but no one has shown us any progress such as that which you have. I have sent you a PM on my Site (ibpArcade Downloads), I have a proposition for you. Let me know what you think.

Good Luck with everything, I will be sure to shoot some ideas when I have a proper think.

Hi Collin and Andy, what a fantastic effort so far, it is great seeing some working going towards this. We have waited for the other arcade creaters to update us on their work but no one has shown us any progress such as that which you have. I have sent you a PM on my Site ([url="http://www.ibpdownloads.com"]ibpArcade Downloads[/url]), I have a proposition for you. Let me know what you think.

Good Luck with everything, I will be sure to shoot some ideas when I have a proper think.

Hello, I have logged in there and don't see a message from you.
Plus it says your a member over at ibparcade downloads

You are correct.

I'll consider adding some sort of link that would send a PM to the admin, however I think that this is a non-critical feature and it would stall development of the challenges system right now.

Hi Collin and Andy, what a fantastic effort so far, it is great seeing some working going towards this. We have waited for the other arcade creaters to update us on their work but no one has shown us any progress such as that which you have. I have sent you a PM on my Site ([url="http://www.ibpdownloads.com"]ibpArcade Downloads[/url]), I have a proposition for you. Let me know what you think.

I've contacted you.

Hello, I have logged in there and don't see a message from you.

Plus it says your a member over at ibparcade downloads

Drop me a message on my messenger to discuss. :thumbsup:

Yes YoungL is the owner Andy & Colin.
:thumbsup:

Also I would now like to give my comments about the Arcade lads, you have worked very hard on the Arcade and nobody appreciates that more than me, however I can see the Arcade bloating already, I don t understand the button to view games on the front page, thats where the games should be, as for the comments, yes they should be associated to the scores thats the idea of it, I score 3999 I then say to my members come on then beat that, that's all that is needed.

The more that is added that is not needed just bloats the database, with cluttered info that's not needed, also I see no reason for any button to report a game that does not work, that is the admins job to make sure it does after installing it, and removing it if it does not work.

Please lads, just be careful of all the bloat ware. You don't seem to have many people giving you feedback at the moment and that's a bit unfair on yourselves, because it seems to be made on just a few peoples suggestions.

Anyway good luck and carry on the good work. :)

http://screencast.com/t/MGM2MWI1MmE

And here it is, folks!

Note the 2 new features in this screencast:

• Medal show for highest score (one of several awards that I am working on.....)
  • New commenting and scores layout

It's starting to look pretty damn tasty!

That is ok I was just asking if it will have one.

It is used a lot on my site to find none working games.

Again, as I said above, this seems like a useless feature.... A simple "PM Admin" button will work fine.

Also I would now like to give my comments about the Arcade lads, you have worked very hard on the Arcade and nobody appreciates that more than me, however I can see the Arcade bloating already, I don t understand the button to view games on the front page, thats where the games should be,

Ah, but thats where the admin CP setting kicks in. You can configure what the homescreen is. 1)A global message to members 2)The Game List 3)The GamesCP. This allows you to choose what the homescreen is. It cant all fit on one page (discussed more below)..... It isnt so much as bloat as it is moving things around. The GamesCP needed to be added to keep track of favorites and other things on a per-member basis. The recent activity area is much like the design of other arcade systems out there.

as for the comments, yes they should be associated to the scores thats the idea of it, I score 3999 I then say to my members come on then beat that, that's all that is needed.

That isnt how its being done for this. You can still comment "Ive got a score of 3999 beat that!" but now comments follow a chronological commenting order. It might take getting used to, however the feedback we are getting is very positive.

The more that is added that is not needed just bloats the database, with cluttered info that's not needed, also I see no reason for any button to report a game that does not work, that is the admins job to make sure it does after installing it, and removing it if it does not work.

I agree with this statement that a report button is not needed, however, several users have requested some sort of method to alert an admin to an issue with games. It might be as simple as a button in the footer of the playing game area "Game Broken? Click here" or something like that. It will all play out. In the end, I consider every feature suggestion and weight it based on bloat and on need.

Please lads, just be careful of all the bloat ware. You don't seem to have many people giving you feedback at the moment and that's a bit unfair on yourselves, because it seems to be made on just a few peoples suggestions.

I actually have spent alot of time "lurking" on a few big arcade sites, reading feedback, and playing with their arcades. Thats how I came to the conclusion about re-doing some layout styles. For comparison, here is our game listing page.... and here is the game listing page of our competitor<_<. Some commentary for you on it as well (very good read... discussing how I am working on making the arcade look) When you compare, its clear that we are avoiding clutter.

It's starting to look pretty damn tasty!

Yum!

I like the look of it too, wait I designed it, and based it on "your" feedback

(I love my blackberry)

Yes, haha, I reworded what I said. :P
It should be noted that without Andy, the arcade would be text on a page. You guys should see the stuff after I code it and it needs designing. Its horrific.
:thumbsup:

nobody appreciates that more than me

You don't seem to have many people giving you feedback at the moment and that's a bit unfair on yourselves, because it seems to be made on just a few peoples suggestions.

I don't think it's fair to say "nobody appreciates that more than me". There are a gang of people who appreciate what these guys have started to do (me included) where others have either given up or are taking their own sweet time. I personally think that those who haven't given their share of feedback is mainly due to the fact that others (again, me included) have already given our feedback and perhaps they too agree on what we've been suggesting, so they feel no need to suggest the same things. Maybe they're following this thread in every way, as I am. I started to give my share of feedback and suggestions, but as I see things coming along nicely, I continue to watch in the background. That doesn't mean I gave up on this iArcade. I'm still anxiously (and patiently) awaiting its first 'stable' version. In the meantime, I really like what I see so far. So again, two thumbs up :thumbsup: :thumbsup: for Collin and Andy (and all those involved) for all their hard work, determination and will to finally give us all a great iArcade system that we can finally install in our v3+ boards.

Now for some feedback (again lol). I like the last screenshot you provided with the comparison....Damn, you're right, that other Arcade does seem pretty cluttered. :blink: Lots of cool games to play and pretty colorful, but very much cluttered. Question, Will the final beta page be as wide as the screenshot sample? I ask because I had to scroll to the right in order to see the rest of it. I hope not, not too many people are fond of scrolling to the right. Also, how will the games be sorted? Alphabetically or whichever games are added first? Or will we have a choice to sort them as we please?

Edit: I also agree that a "Game Report" button is not really necessary and crucial at this point in time. Let them code what is totally crucial first. That button can wait or we can simply make a forum/topic specifically for that purpose, to report bad games. etc. Or simply PM a Mod/Admin, problem solved.

I am glad you did some of my ideas.

I know my staff that take care of the game reports might be a bit upset that there is no game report feature but we might be able to work some thing out.

Im still looking into what can be done, like a PM to staff or something.

I don't think it's fair to say "nobody appreciates that more than me". There are a gang of people who appreciate what these guys have started to do (me included) where others have either given up or are taking their own sweet time. I personally think that those who haven't given their share of feedback is mainly due to the fact that others (again, me included) have already given our feedback and perhaps they too agree on what we've been suggesting, so they feel no need to suggest the same things. Maybe they're following this thread in every way, as I am. I started to give my share of feedback and suggestions, but as I see things coming along nicely, I continue to watch in the background. That doesn't mean I gave up on this iArcade. I'm still anxiously (and patiently) awaiting its first 'stable' version. In the meantime, I really like what I see so far. So again, two thumbs up :thumbsup: :thumbsup: for Collin and Andy (and all those involved) for all their hard work, determination and will to finally give us all a great iArcade system that we can finally install in our v3+ boards.

Lets not start a fight or anything. No one member's feedback is more important than anothers. If 1 person suggests something, I read it. If 5 people suggest it, I have to think really hard about it. The more people who chime in, the more this is shaped by the community.

Im sure you guys know how "most" modders out there make mods. They provide updates here and there, but generally, the final product is a surprise to most people. Anthony has done a great thing with IP.Mail/BouncyMail, posting updates and screenshots daily. I like this way of communicating. It makes it easier to please people. Thats the route ive taken so far with this mod. Please dont make me regret it by fighting over "who matters more"

Question, Will the final beta page be as wide as the screenshot sample? I ask because I had to scroll to the right in order to see the rest of it. I hope not, not too many people are fond of scrolling to the right.

I use a widescreen monitor.
Normally I try to resize my screenshots, but I was in a rush to post it. :thumbsup:

Also, how will the games be sorted? Alphabetically or whichever games are added first? Or will we have a choice to sort them as we please?

Right now, sorting is done by gameid. So, basically, order added. I plan to make an admin option of how to sort in a later beta (or possibly member's choice?)

Edit: I also agree that a "Game Report" button is not really necessary and crucial at this point in time. Let them code what is totally crucial first. That button can wait or we can simply make a forum/topic specifically for that purpose, to report bad games. etc. Or simply PM a Mod/Admin, problem solved.

I agree.... Honestly, when I first read it, I just assumed people could PM mods/admins. I dont think a report feature is critical. At the same time, Im going to look into it regardless.

Indeed you have no idea how happy I am to see this project. My feed back may not show it but I am very happy about this project, which is why I am giving as much feedback as possible.

Thanks!

I will chip in a little here. Whilst the report game feature may not be important to some as have stated, to others it is an important feature. When you are maintaining a very large database of games sometimes files are lost, games have bugs, people cheat etc etc... a Report Game feature allows a small comment to be made about that game, if it is then posted in to a forum area or pmd to an admin, someone can sort it out. Perhaps an image file has been lost, perhaps one of the SWF files has been accidently removed, perhaps when you press CTRL-S when playing it allows you to enter a false score... The point I am making if you have 5000+ games which some of us do a report game feature is very important!!

Just my two cents!! :D

I will chip in a little here. Whilst the report game feature may not be important to some as have stated, to others it is an important feature. When you are maintaining a very large database of games sometimes files are lost, games have bugs, people cheat etc etc... a Report Game feature allows a small comment to be made about that game, if it is then posted in to a forum area or pmd to an admin, someone can sort it out. Perhaps an image file has been lost, perhaps one of the SWF files has been accidently removed, perhaps when you press CTRL-S when playing it allows you to enter a false score... The point I am making if you have 5000+ games which some of us do a report game feature is very important!!

Just my two cents!! :D

But why do you need an entire "report game" feature when a simple link to a PM or something could be used?

But why do you need an entire "report game" feature when a simple link to a PM or something could be used?

Because for example on my board we have several administrators and moderators who do different jobs, you could get it PMd to one of them as you stated but it makes task management very difficult. If it creates a new topic in a designated forum area then any staff member can respond to it and then close the topic as soon as it is resolved. Atleast that is how I use my Report Game feature at the minute.

I do understand it is hard to make every one happy. Heck I try every day to make every one happy on my own site. Not easy by any means. Some times one change you make can cause one person to be happy while making several upset. Every change I make has to be carefully looked at and tested for members feedback before it becomes an official change. Upgrading to IPB3 is one of those that is still being carefully looked at.

One thing I learned is people like my site and me because I value every ones feed back and opinions and will show that I am listening even though I can not make every change people want or ask for.
Even I prefer sites and projects were the owner at least makes you feel like he or she is listening to your feedback. I feel you are reading all feedback and you even take the time to reply to every one, which is what I like to see. I like the ocportal cms because they too listen to feedback, although I do not use their cms do to a few issues I have had with it.

Archived