Download: iArcade System 1.0.0 Final

Andy Rixon

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

was going to say 2 followed by 3 - people are probably not to fussed as to who said what - more the comments.

With long names would 2 look better than 3? - would like to see them with display names of 20 characters against a user of three characters.

Personally, I liked 2. But after getting feedback that 3 was the better choice, I went with 3.
Im going to do some long/short username testing in the general design testing phase, so I will keep this in mind and see if it breaks. Might just change it back to 2.

I've been watching this topic with increasing interest, top work so far :thumbsup:

Thanks, Andy! If you have any feedback let me know. :thumbsup:

Could the comments also appear underneath the flash game, or last 5 comments?

Also another suggestion, allow the user to rate the game when commenting.

In the latest design revision (The one im waiting on being pretty-ified) game ratings have been moved to the score submission page.
Ive found this benefits overall usability better. People rate games AFTER they play it, afterall.
Same applies to favorites saving.

Comments will not be added to the game play page, as this detracts from the game itself. However, in the latest design revision (still pending pretty-ification) there is now a new way to quickly get to the view comments area without having to play the game first. Same for scores.

I'll post a screenshot as soon as Andy does his skinning magic.

You know what though to reduce white space have 2 columns one being the scores and one being the comments.

I thought exactly the same thing, I think comments may be hidden all the way down the page. Usually the comment would appear beside the score so perhaps this new way would benefit from having them in 2 columns.

I thought exactly the same thing, I think comments may be hidden all the way down the page. Usually the comment would appear beside the score so perhaps this new way would benefit from having them in 2 columns.

As Ive said before, I dont know how to do the ajax inline commenting.
So for now, its staying how it is. :whistle:

Look at how the forum it self is done. It has where you avatar and info is, well have an area like that for scores and then an area beside, like where the post content is for the comments. And then have the box you type in like the fast reply under all of that.

Feedback time!

How should user-to-user challenges work?

There are 2 ways it can be done. The "traditional" method, however, puts USER B (the challenged user) at a severe disadvantage.
This is because USER A (the challenger) can play the game as much as they want until they get a good enough score to submit a challenge for.

Here is a flowchart of the "traditional" method:
%7Boption%7D

The other method that im thinking about still puts user B at a disadvantage, however, it much more fair.

%7Boption%7D

Feedback anybody?
What do you think will be the fairest way to do user-to-user challenges?

Just for kicks:
I always feel like... somebody's watchin' me.....

Yes, but then I cannot fit the giant editor in that area.

I would also need to re-do the way comments are saved to associate them with a score.

Why do you need the large editor for a simple commenting bit for the arcade? Just use a similar sized commenting interface as seen on user profiles? Or smaller even ;)

They don't really need to be associated with the score, just in their own separate column. Although I would personally prefer them to be associated with the score :)

And haha, being stalked :o

Tell me about it :rolleyes:

Would be nice is the challenged user could suggest a challenge with a different game if the proposed game was not for him/her.

In other words two users would get together and decide upon a game(s) to be played.

You can always deny a challenge. I think that serves the same point. PM the user or something to work it out.

Why do you need the large editor for a simple commenting bit for the arcade? Just use a similar sized commenting interface as seen on user profiles? Or smaller even ;)

I already opened a topic about editor size but nobody was able to help.

I like both methods for the Challenge. Make it a user choice if they wish to his his or her score.

It cant be a "user choice" because that creates a fairness issue.
I personally think choice 2 is more fair for both users, But it may be confusing to people because traditionally option 1 is used.

They don't really need to be associated with the score, just in their own separate column. Although I would personally prefer them to be associated with the score :)

I agree with the column part. He could do what I suggested and have it like the fast reply, under both the comments and game scores column.

I agree with the column part. He could do what I suggested and have it like the fast reply, under both the comments and game scores column.

Just so everbody understands here, columns go up and down.
So saying to put it in "a column" means associating it with a particular score, which, as I said, is not possible/will not be done.

It cant be a "user choice" because that creates a fairness issue.

I personally think choice 2 is more fair for both users, But it may be confusing to people because traditionally option 1 is used.

Ok I see your point.
It will be confusing at first any way do to the way the challenge system I have right now works. Right now it is a game chosen by the staff and any member can play to see if they can get the top score for a set amount of time, on my site we have one all day.

Just so everbody understands here, columns go up and down.

So saying to put it in "a column" means associating it with a particular score, which, as I said, is not possible/will not be done.

No no you are thinking putting them in the same column I want them in different column not the same one.

Ok I see your point.

It will be confusing at first any way do to the way the challenge system I have right now works. Right now it is a game chosen by the staff and any member can play to see if they can get the top score for a set amount of time, on my site we have one all day.

Ah, yes.
What you are describing is a "Tournament" system - All users can play the same game.
Challenges are user-to-user, tornaments are all-against-all. Challenges are private, Tornaments are side wide and public.
Both are in progress.

No no you are thinking putting them in the same column I want them in different column not the same one.

Care to draw it out for me?

Archived