IPB 2.1.5 Released

Guest IPS News

• Management

how long dose it take to get access to ipb if you have paid via pay pal i have been waiting 7 hours

this isnt good i was wanting to set up my board by know

i am not happy with the service level with ipb

We get it - you're anxious to get your order activated. :)

Unfortunately, you submitted your order outside of business hours and as indicated on the payment screen, it can take up to 24 business hours to manually approve orders. It should be activated this morning, if it hasn't been done already. :)

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just tried to download the 2.1.4 - 2.1.5 upgrade pack from the customer area and it gives this error

mySQL query error: SELECT * FROM download_packages WHERE download_id= AND download_allow LIKE '%,2,%'

SQL error:

SQL error code:

Date: Thursday 02nd of March 2006 08:12:49 AM

could you please tell me which file(s) contain the bug fix for the stats?

I just have so many mods installed and this bug is the only one that really bothers me. if you can tell me which edits to do to fix it, it would be even better for me :)

If you are talking about act=MSN resetting the stats (this only happens on some servers, not all), it's in index.php

Regarding the IE double line breaks - it was like that from 2.1.0 up to 2.1.4.
I made the change in 2.1.4 (with javascript keystroke capturing) but it broke the list and indent. The reason is, IE is designed to use paragraph tags, so it's exec_command functions for list and indent are probably looking for those paragraph tags, but can't find them.

I agree, it is quite annoying. However, it's a browser issue, not an issue with IPB.
We will probably revisit the issue with the next MAJOR version, but as this is a point release, rather than hack away at that anymore, I reverted to *normal browser functionality* as there are then no bugs with the functionality. IE just implemented it in a manner that isn't as pretty as Firefox.

i got 2.1.5 errors:

i cant access any forum or post now.. i get this error for accessing a forum:

mySQL query error: SELECT author_id, topic_id FROM ibf_posts WHERE author_id=1 AND topic_id IN(1206,1210,1212,1218,1224,1225,1254,1297,2344,2542,2544,2553,2564,2569,2573,25
77,2580,2581,2582,2583,2585,2588,2589,2590,2592,2596,2602,2608,2609,2638)

SQL error: Can't open file: 'ibf_posts.MYI'. (errno: 145)
SQL error code:
Date: Thursday 02nd of March 2006 10:03:54 AM

and this one for posts:

mySQL query error: SELECT MIN(pid) as pid FROM ibf_posts WHERE queued=0 AND topic_id=2637 AND post_date > 1141266958 LIMIT 0,1

SQL error: Can't open file: 'ibf_posts.MYI'. (errno: 145)
SQL error code:
Date: Thursday 02nd of March 2006 10:04:48 AM

yet the front page loads no problem.. any help?

Your ibf_posts table index was corrupted somehow...that's not a 2.1.5 (or even an IPB) error, it's a mysql error.

Run this query in phpmyadmin

REPAIR TABLE ibf_posts

Regarding parachat - you'd have to submit a ticket. It works fine here, and I'm not entirely sure from what you are saying what you are referring to.

so i have to submit a ticket to have it upgraded to version 7? b/c right now after upgrading to2.1.5 , the live chat link still loads version 6... on my site

i also tried your repair table part for my issue and it didnt work..

REPAIR table ibf_posts would fix that error...if it didn't you'd need to contact your host, that's just standard mysql unfortunately.

Without access information for your site, I can't tell you why v7 parachat is not loading on your site. It loads properly here. If you submit a ticket, we'll be glad to take a look for you though. :)

Regarding the IE double line breaks - it was like that from 2.1.0 up to 2.1.4.

I made the change in 2.1.4 (with javascript keystroke capturing) but it broke the list and indent. The reason is, IE is designed to use paragraph tags, so it's exec_command functions for list and indent are probably looking for those paragraph tags, but can't find them.

Ahh, I wasn't aware that this behavior began with 2.1.0. I'm still running 2.0.4, although I am nearly done with work on 2.1.5 so I can move my forum over. I'm just glad this issue came up in this thread so I could nip it in the bud.

I agree, it is quite annoying. However, it's a browser issue, not an issue with IPB.

We will probably revisit the issue with the next MAJOR version, but as this is a point release, rather than hack away at that anymore, I reverted to *normal browser functionality* as there are then no bugs with the functionality. IE just implemented it in a manner that isn't as pretty as Firefox.

Unfortunately the only people who are going to be aware of that are the small number of individuals (forum admins, mainly) who read about it on this website. To everyone else out there who uses IE to post in IPB forums (and uses the RTE) they're not going to understand why so much extra space is being added to their posts. It won't occur to them that this is an issue with IE, and they'll naturally assume that it's a problem with the forum software. I also would have assumed that had I not read the explanation here. At this point I just might disable use of the RTE on my forum until it's had time to mature. Which sounds like it might be some time if by next "MAJOR" version you are talking about 3.0. Since I'm still running 2.0.4, no one will miss it when I move to 2.1.5.

..Al

HELP i cant download it please help

error i get

mySQL query error: SELECT * FROM download_packages WHERE download_id= AND download_allow LIKE '%,2,%'

SQL error:

SQL error code:

Date: Thursday 02nd of March 2006 10:55:01 AM

Regarding this double space issue in IE:

Are you guys serious? A couple of BBCode tags are broke, and in turn you fix them and cause another problem, then claim its not IPB's fault? This is bull! In my experience as a web-development programmer, using JavaScript, if something doesn't work in another browser, most commonly IE, you wade through it and solve the problem. You don't make excuses and say it is the browser's fault you do something about it. I've had my fair share of problems with IE, and there's always a solution. The JavaScript function you're using doesn't behave in a way you expected in IE? Write a custom function that checks what browser you're using, and if its IE handle it in a different way.

And with IE being the most commonly used browser, even though FireFox is better, it should be your top priority. Most of my community members of my site use IE, and the same is true for most of your customers.

And for the gallery link: If you add in HTML that isn't going to work, what's the point? Seems to me that making it work is a one-line addition, so why not just put it in the release? Not doing so doesn't make sense. (If you have then that's good. I'm just expressing my concerns).

I don't care if you have to release a 2.1.6 for this problem, and a couple other things, you should do it. (Or maybe a patch instead). But you have to realize you shouldn't do something half-heartedly, releasing something that you know isn't going to work.

^^^^^
Agree whole-heartedly with this. My members were v happy that the double space thing had been fixed - if this 'upgrade' reverses that then it really isn't acceptable. Yet again smacks of an open source style of doing things - problem is, we're all paying customers and expect better.

Are you guys serious?

[color="#FF0000"]Yes[/color]

A couple of BBCode tags are broke, and in turn you fix them and cause another problem, then claim its not IPB's fault?

[color="#FF0000"]We did not "break" anything - it is working as the browser intends for the content editable areas to work. :blink: The fact that IE adds paragraph tags when you hit enter in a WYSIWYG editor is not IPB's fault, no.[/color]

This is bull! In my experience as a web-development programmer, using JavaScript, if something doesn't work in another browser, most commonly IE, you wade through it and solve the problem.

[color="#FF0000"]The problem only relates to how you WANT it to work, not how the browser INTENDS for it to work[/color]

You don't make excuses and say it is the browser's fault you do something about it. I've had my fair share of problems with IE, and there's always a solution. The JavaScript function you're using doesn't behave in a way you expected in IE? Write a custom function that checks what browser you're using, and if its IE handle it in a different way.

[color="#FF0000"]This is indeed what we plan to investigate on in a future release, however we cannot spend that much development time working around (yet another) IE-only bug for a point release. [b]THE WYSIWYG WORKS EXACTLY HOW IT DID WITH 2.1.0-2.1.3[/b][/color]

And for the gallery link: If you add in HTML that isn't going to work, what's the point? Seems to me that making it work is a one-line addition, so why not just put it in the release? Not doing so doesn't make sense. (If you have then that's good. I'm just expressing my concerns).

[color="#FF0000"]This was just a case of adding code to a separate function - it is html logic, the html does not show unless we enable it in the source file. Admittedly, this was just a case of me adding code in the opposite function Adam intended to have me add it to, however as we did not announce this as an addition/new/changed feature, the only way anyone even knew the code was added was by digging through the template difference report[/color]

I don't care if you have to release a 2.1.6 for this problem, and a couple other things, you should do it. (Or maybe a patch instead). But you have to realize you shouldn't do something half-heartedly, releasing something that you know isn't going to work.

[color="#FF0000"]Nothing was half-hearted. QA spent a lot of time testing, as did I, to make sure we didn't introduce any bugs in this release. Again, I'm sorry if you don't like how the RTE works in IE. I urge you to contact Microsoft and express this concern while they are working on IE7[/color]

I wish there was more to say on this issue. I've added a way for those of you who would rather have bugs with the RTE in IE and have a single space newline (through a workaround) a method of doing so. For those of you content to accept that IE and FF are just NOT the same browser, and accept that they WILL behave differently, it is functioning as Microsoft intended for the contentEditable area.

Let me just note also, that I have been responding about the p tag (it's NOT a double line break as you may think it appears to be), and not "us guys". I wouldn't want you to group my statements in with everyone elses necessarily.

And it will be addressed through workaround javascript. Just not in a point release.

I agree with Cy.
Since this "bug/working as intended" is a major annoyance to many of your clients, you should solve it as fast as possible. Paying customers' desire should be above other concerns (definitely above the IE vs. FireFox feude).
Telling people "it is a problem with this browser, use another one" is not a solution, although i had to tell this to my members many times.

ps: "you"==IPS. I am not pointing fingers.

I agree all the way with Brandon, and since I'm also a paying customer I have nothing to gain by going along with his logic. Keep in mind that Brandon work very hard to please the customers and that just noting what your board members say is enough to get him thinking. No need for anything but polite discussion here, and "this is bull" etc is far from polite.

Just a note, I'm not against IE. I am soooo anxious for v7 to be final so I can switch back. I only use FF for tabs, nothing more, nothing less. And I dislike Netscape and Opera for the most part.

I also do not use the RTE personally, because of things like this.

I sympathize that you would wish for it to work the same, but really, I still have no idea how anyone is classifying this as a bug. :blink: This is not something we are going to spend large amounts of development time on during a point release, however knowing that many users dislike how this behaves, we would plan on coming back to this issue during the next major version change (by that I mean possibly 2.2, not 3.0 as previously suggested).

Here is what I said in the bug report (copied word for word) for the indent not working after making this change:

This was due to the change for IE to make hitting enter cause a newline (br tag) instead of using the default functionality inherint to IE. This is a side-effect of the workaround I implemented.

For now, I'm reverting the change I made in 2.1.4 so IE will behave as it did in 2.1.x (up to 2.1.4), and we will revisit IE's newline behavior in greater detail in a future release.

I stand by this. Sure, I will look at it again, but not in 2.1.5 as it risks causing even more problems. I have nothing more to say on this.

@kewlceo and .Logan, thanks. I'm glad someone sees why this was done. I certainly didn't do it to cause a community uproar about how IE behaves. :blink: I'm not anti-IE, and I'm not pro-FF. I wish there was one browser that we could code for, but it just doesn't work that way, and the browser developers do not make their software behave the same way, so sometimes there are quirks between the two.

I think that I will be waiting till 2.2 or 3.0 till I upgrade with everything that is going on and the things that I am reading. looks like it might have been a rush deployment.

I assure you it was not rushed. It was in QA for almost a month.

There really are no bugs (yet, at least) introduced with this version.

I get this feeling people are looking for problems that just aren't there. :(

The RTE is working how it always has (minus the 2.1.4 version).
The bit with the ACP was already fixed (this was not in the QA version which is why it was not seen).
The bit with the gallery I've posted how members can enable this, but this is not a bug per-say. There is no adverse affect from this addition.

Can someone tell me if there really are any new bugs with 2.1.5 (bugs 2.1.5 caused)?

Sorry, I'm feeling quite frustrated by this topic at this point.

Since I started all this, I'd like to reiterate that my complaint was not that you changed it to correct issues. My complaint is that you did so without warning. Previous to 2.1.4, I left the RTE off, because so many of my users were complaining. When I upgraded to 2.1.5, I had no warning that the problem was back. I immediately got bombarded with the problem from my users. I turned off the RTE and then got even more complaints.

I would have left well enough alone with 2.1.4, had I been told. Since you gave me the solution, I've simply changed the code and everything is working well enough for my users to be off my back. In the future, a major change like this should warrant a warning in the announcement at least...

Does IE 7.0 handle this better?

I don't mean to sound rude, I'm just trying to show you other people's perspective. I mean, what's more noticeable: List BBCode not working, or double spaces occurring in IE? I guarantee you my members would have caught this within no more than a few hours of upgrading, whereas the list bug I have yet to have had someone complain, mention it, etc. I didn't even know about it until now.

So in the future, when you balance out what is more critical, think about what people will notice more than the other. I think double spaces in a paragraph are definitely something people are going to notice, vs. a list BBCode that hardly anyone uses.

As far as investing time and effort on something that seems trivial, some things are more important to people than you may think. Again, its usually depends on what has the most use and is the most noticeable.

Now I didn't mean to jump down your throat like I did Brandon, but what set me off was saying it was IE's fault. Now I'm not for one browser or the other either, but different behaviors in browsers is quite a common thing, and the responsibility falls on the programmers shoulders to solve the problem.

The second thing that set me off was putting this off until 2.2. Version 2.2 is a large update, and may be six months down the line. For something noticeable to both members and administrators it isn't very trivial. And with such a large update it takes, at least for me, two months to finish an upgrade whereas a minimal upgrade, like 2.1.5, takes about two hours.

And Brandon, you seem to be a smart fellow. I'm sure you could come up with a solution that solves both problems, at least temporarily. There are numerous ways of detecting what browser is being used, and an alternative route could be used for IE. I too have had my fair share of problems, especially with JavaScript, and I don't think the problem is as big as you may think it is. If you can't figure it out, you have a full staff of knowledgeable people who can help you. For me, I don't have that luxury... I end up posting here, and a couple other places when I have problems and there's generally always someone with a solution. So if you can't figure it out, describe the problem in the tech forum, and see if some other people can help you take a crack at it. We're all here for you :)

Archived