IPB 2.1.3 Released

Guest IPS News

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

funny I am asked to submit a ticket in the middle of you and Matt answering other people. I dont have any problem going on on my site. i want to know why it said something about not finding a default skin and that i am "responsible for changing templates" and if going through /upgrade alone is different than upgrade/upgrade.php

For a situation where there keeps being bugs over and voer and over on each release, I think you should answer people when they ask about them. What other company is still having bugs on the fourth release?

This isn't really a bug. It didn't find the 'Default' skin initially, so it didn't give you the option to revert any changes, and asks you to do it manually. That would involve going into the ACP, going to your skins, and clicking the 'Revert' button next to any templates where it appears.

The 'Master Templates' get updated automatically during the upgrade. The IPB Default skin inherits from the master templates, as do skins you create on your board. If you customize any of the templates, they will not inherit the template bit from the Master Template, and if there were changes in the master template bit, you would not see them in your skins. Thus, you are asked to revert the changes you make, so-as to ensure any changes are visible in your skin sets. Skins you import you would need to run the differences tool to determine if any changes are necessary (since they will have their own set of templates already).

If the upgrader didn't find your default skin and didn't give you the option to revert the changes, just do it manually in the acp by clicking that revert button. Note: you may wish to run a differences report on the skin set first to determine if you need to revert the template bit or not. There were not very many template bits that were updated, and it is likely that many of your customizations you will not need to revert.

So basically template changes havent necessarily taken place still? I definitely dont want to redo edits in those after I just spent all of that time editing files. Hopefully I dont have to. There may be more changes than with most people though because I am upgraded from 2.1.1 not 2.1.2

Basically, the updated template bits were imported to the Master Template Set. If your other skins had those template bits customized, then no they would not have inherited the changes. If you had been allowed to revert through the upgrader, it sounds as if you might not have anyways due to the high amount of customizations you had. Your better options (for users who have a lot of customized templates) again, is to go through your skin sets, and run a difference report. Then compare the differences and see if you need to update the template bit in your skin set or not. That way you don't revert any that you do not need to update, but you can assure that you've checked each template to see if updates/changes need to take place.

My php installation doesn't support multi-byte character conversion from char set to another.

Quote from Matt:

I am writing a hand-rolled method that will be available in a future update.

Did this make it in v2.1.3?

Most RSS feeds use UTF-8 and my board uses iso-8859-1.

Fixed the forum options prune and updated the zip attached at the end of the announcement. Just download it again and update sources/action_public/moderate.php.

Oh, no... How many CDs I have to burn to have my own backup of everything...
Matt, please tell me, is there another bug in /moderate.php ?
I saw the post about the Update... And you said there:

[i]If you have downloaded IPB 2.1.3 after the date and time of this post, then you do not need to do anything as we have already updated the main download zip[/i]

So I guess there is an update in the attached zip which means another bug fix, another update of the main download zip...
So I have to download it again?
Matt, please tell me...

When I fast edit a post now the 'edited by' line appears. When I do a full edit the 'edited by' line is checked by default. I never use that line so it's a little annoying.

How do I get rid of this?

EDIT: Ok, I uncheck the box in full edit and it stays unchecked... until I do a fast edit again and it checks the box again. I hate the edit line! Help!

EDIT #2: It does it here too!

Thanks Matt and Brandon. I ran a difference report (first time ever) and I actually managed to quite easily tell which needed to be reverted. And the ones which had new changes by IPS AND my modifications, I added in and subtracted the IPS ones rather than reverting then having to add mine back in.

I only see 1 thing that I am not sure about so far. In ForumRow it is showing 1 change. Do you know offhand if anything changed in that template bit in either 2.1.2 or 2.1.3? I am almost postive I ahd to modiffy that one in order for ym forum to show the # viewing by each forum name. And there is only 1 difference in it. So i assume that this was not changed by IPS.

Also, how come a ton of files say "revert" by them, yet there are no differences? Did all have the revert option automatically on upgrade?

In the future something needs to be done about this. Just because my default skin isnt #2 (and I dont even know why, probably one of my freak problems from using RC versions) I shouldnt have to go manually change template bits! At least it seems like I have done it correctly though. I have run differences 3 times to keep checking to be sure things disappear which were different befor.

Thanks Matt and Brandon. I ran a difference report (first time ever) and I actually managed to quite easily tell which needed to be reverted. And the ones which had new changes by IPS AND my modifications, I added in and subtracted the IPS ones rather than reverting then having to add mine back in.

I only see 1 thing that I am not sure about so far. In ForumRow it is showing 1 change. Do you know offhand if anything changed in that template bit in either 2.1.2 or 2.1.3? I am almost postive I ahd to modiffy that one in order for ym forum to show the # viewing by each forum name. And there is only 1 difference in it. So i assume that this was not changed by IPS.

Also, how come a ton of files say "revert" by them, yet there are no differences? Did all have the revert option automatically on upgrade?

In the future something needs to be done about this. Just because my default skin isnt #2 (and I dont even know why, probably one of my freak problems from using RC versions) I shouldnt have to go manually change template bits! At least it seems like I have done it correctly though. I have run differences 3 times to keep checking to be sure things disappear which were different befor.

This was a new addition in this upgrade that was never present before, so technically you had to do the same thing you've always had to do. This functionality, however, will likely be improved later on not to check for the default skin at the beginning so you will have the option to revert.

@Invisionary, post your question in customer to customer chat and I'll give you an answer there.

Holy cow, seems like a lot of things popped up since I initially downloaded the files. Glad I didn't do the upgrade yet.

Was anyone here that was previously running 2.1.2 and upgraded to 2.1.4 running the FURL and IBProArcade mods?

These along with a custom skin are the only changes I have really made. If anyone has dealt with this yet I would really appreciate some advice on the subject.

Thanks,

I never went and reverted anything in the past. I thought it always did it on its own... One more question, sorry... so now if I make a NEW skin it will inherit the master teplates?

If you make a new skin within IPB (by clicking the button and clicking Add New Skin Set), then yes, it will inherit the templates.

When you import a skin however, it will include the template bits and create new entries in the db directly from them. So when you import a skin and there is an upgrade, you really have to compare it against the default skin afterwards to verify if anything was changed.

Yes, I'd recommend for users who heavily customize their templates, don't revert and compare the changes manually. That's exactly what the differences report is for. :)

If you don't have many changes, or only minor ones, reverting and then re-adding the changes may be an easier route. That is why it is left as a choice (when it is presented).

It's 2.1.3, not 2.1.4 and I use the arcade and it is working fine. I went form 2.1.1 to 2.1.3 so I had to also change the top of the cache files for that fix but you shouldnt have to change anything. BUT you have to re-edit several files for it.

Yes, I realize its 2.1.3. Sorry, it was a typo.

I'm not sure what you mean by change the top of the cache files. I realize I will need to re-edit the code in some of the files but my concern was if it would effect the DB tables or like the games installed and such. Will it keep IBPA as a component or do I have to add that back and will it keep the games that are currently installed or will I have to redo that as well.

Also, with the custom skin can I just backup the two XML files and then restore them after the upgrade reverts or will I have to make all the CSS and the HTML edits manually?

Thanks a bunch,

Archived