Adding number to each post in a thread?

usmf
Go to solution Solved by Robert Angle,

Currently, our site is running an older plug-in that adds a number to each post in a thread. This is a vital feature in a forum that has long threads. But I'd rather not have extra plug-ins installed at this point. Has IPS finally gotten this feature added itself?

• Solution

You have to use the plugin "Post Numbers" or something like that.

It took a long time to wean some of my users off that, but I'm glad I finally did. The one hiccup with it is that the number you see as a Staff member and the number regular members see will differ if there are Hidden posts in that thread. Then it can get very confusing if people are referencing post numbers. It's better to have them use the Quote/MultiQuote feature instead.

1 minute ago, Robert Angle said:

You have to use the plugin "Post Numbers" or something like that.

It took a long time to wean some of my users off that, but I'm glad I finally did. The one hiccup with it is that the number you see as a Staff member and the number regular members see will differ if there are Hidden posts in that thread. Then it can get very confusing if people are referencing post numbers. It's better to have them use the Quote/MultiQuote feature instead.

Thanks for that insight. Good point. Our community is quite old, and members just will not take to change. However, I'm getting ready to set up a new community, and I will definitely take that advice!

11 minutes ago, Robert Angle said:

The one hiccup with it is that the number you see as a Staff member and the number regular members see will differ if there are Hidden posts in that thread. Then it can get very confusing if people are referencing post numbers. It's better to have them use the Quote/MultiQuote feature instead.

This is precisely why it was removed. Quoting or copying pasting the share URL is much more direct/consistent.