PHP8 Still not Available on Hostgator

IPB Releases 4.7.3, 4.7.4, 4.7.5, 4.7.6, and 4.7.7 require PHP 8.0. We are unable to install these recent updates from IPB as of Feb. 27, 2023.

From HostGator support - We will begin slowly rolling out PHP 8.0 to accounts starting early March 2022.

Their "slow rolling" has been going on for a year now.

I have called their support several times since early Dec., 2022. Each time the answer is the same - they have no information on when it will be made available.

Are other people having similar issues? Is there any way to get them to just, say, you know, GET IT DONE ??

The only real answer here is to change hosting. Recently a few clients I help from time to time decided to change exactly because of that. It's a joke that after a whole year their "slow PHP 8 rolling" is not complete. 🙄

I usually suggest finding a host with cPanel so you can simply have a full backup imported to retain all your configurations. If you want, PM me, and I can give you some more details about what the people I know did.

IPS can only suggest its own Cloud packages here. 😅

Hi @gfhfstg,

It's disappointing to hear that a hosting service will not update to a supported version of PHP promptly. Anything before 8.0 is not supported any more, and 8.0 itself is only having security support for the next 8 months at the time of writing this post.

If you want a seamless experience and avoid the hassle of the backend altogether, definitely consider our Cloud.

There are plenty of articles about HostGator and their parent company at the moment. I would highly recommend reading up on them just for some background on why things like this are happening to their clients.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2023 at 4:42 PM, Gary said:

and 8.0 itself is only having security support for the next 8 months at the time of writing this post.

Not exactly "true".  Some distributions of Linux (which if you are on shared hosting or using the official PHP.NET repository) may be.... but many are STILL supporting PHP 8.0.xx beyond what PHP.NET supports it.
It is incumbent upon the admin of the server to ascertain how long their OS is providing support for.

Edited by Tracy Perry

On 2/27/2023 at 10:45 AM, gfhfstg said:

IPB Releases 4.7.3, 4.7.4, 4.7.5, 4.7.6, and 4.7.7 require PHP 8.0. We are unable to install these recent updates from IPB as of Feb. 27, 2023.

From HostGator support - We will begin slowly rolling out PHP 8.0 to accounts starting early March 2022.

Their "slow rolling" has been going on for a year now.

I have called their support several times since early Dec., 2022. Each time the answer is the same - they have no information on when it will be made available.

Are other people having similar issues? Is there any way to get them to just, say, you know, GET IT DONE ??

The solution is to find another provider.  There is a lot of competition in this space.

Just now, CheersnGears said:

The solution is to find another provider.  There is a lot of competition in this space.

This is (if on shared hosting) frequently the ONLY solution.  If you are on a VPS or dedicated sever (even if using hypervisors) you can control this yourself.  It is one of the weaknesses of being with certain low-budget hosting providers.

On 2/27/2023 at 2:42 PM, Gary said:

It's disappointing to hear that a hosting service will not update to a supported version of PHP promptly. Anything before 8.0 is not supported any more, and 8.0 itself is only having security support for the next 8 months at the time of writing this post.

We should tell that to GoDaddy. They never upgrade their web hosts.

Frustrated Skip Bayless GIF