After IPB 4.7.5 upgrade word expansion is going crazy

media
Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

2 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention! I can confirm this should be further reviewed and I have logged an internal bug report for our development team to investigate and address as necessary, in a future maintenance release.

Great, thank you I was going crazy too... lol!

I am also having similar issues. I see the underline dotter line under many words that should NOT be there. I have many case sensitive words and I can see lower case single characters in the middle of a bigger word recognized as a tooltip.

I am using sometimes a single character in uppercase like M. or LL for something else.

Nobody writes W alone, I use it as an acronym for monthly. Set as case sensitive. You can see the word expansion detects lowercase characters inside entire words 😞 it makes no sense.

See attachment @Marc Stridgen the same happens with many others.

Could contain: Page, Text

Could contain: Text

Edited by OptimusBain

6 minutes ago, OptimusBain said:

I am also having similar issues. I see the underline dotter line under many words that should NOT be there. I have many case sensitive words and I can see lower case single characters in the middle of a bigger word recognized as a tooltip.

I am using sometimes a single character in uppercase like M. or LL for something else.

Nobody writes W alone, I use it as an acronym for monthly. Set as case sensitive. You can see the word expansion detects lowercase characters inside entire words 😞 it makes no sense.

See attachment @Marc Stridgen the same happens with many others.

Could contain: Page, Text

Could contain: Text

Have you applied the latest patch which resolves this issue?

5 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

This would only correct items going forward. It would not correct anything that was added at the time there was an issue

mmmmm 😞 😞 😞 I am shocked... so I have hundreds if not thousands of items throughout the website because there are hundreds of posts with those expanded tooltips. You mean that all those won't be fixed? It means that thousands of issues will still be there? 😞

Does it mean I will have to edit dozens of products descriptions, topics, etc? 😞

7 minutes ago, OptimusBain said:

mmmmm 😞 😞 😞 I am shocked... so I have hundreds if not thousands of items throughout the website because there are hundreds of posts with those expanded tooltips. You mean that all those won't be fixed? It means that thousands of issues will still be there? 😞

Does it mean I will have to edit dozens of products descriptions, topics, etc? 😞

Could you please clarify and provide examples of the impact? It should be extremely minimal as it only impacted 1 short release. 

Just now, Jim M said:

Could you please clarify and provide examples of the impact? It should be extremely minimal as it only impacted 1 short release. 

I read that the issues will not affect the new items added. That old items (word expansion) will not be fixed. Is the true? If that is so, I have hundreds if not thousands of abbreviations on the website that are affected. 

7 minutes ago, OptimusBain said:

I read that the issues will not affect the new items added. That old items (word expansion) will not be fixed. Is the true? If that is so, I have hundreds if not thousands of abbreviations on the website that are affected. 

However, those hundreds of thousands of abbreviations were not impacted by this one-time issue that was only in 4.7.5 for a brief period of time or we need an example to determine why these are the way they are.

4 hours ago, OptimusBain said:

4 hours ago, Jim M said:

However, those hundreds of thousands of abbreviations were not impacted by this one-time issue that was only in 4.7.5 for a brief period of time or we need an example to determine why these are the way they are.

Yes it was just one day between the problem and the patch that fixed it....

4 hours ago, OptimusBain said:

By "old items" Jim meant only the posts made after the last upgrade and before you applied the patch that solved the issue.

Word expansion is executed only when the post is submitted, so only the new (or edited) posts in that short amount of time were affected. That's why it was mentioned that old posts are not affected by the patch.

You can manually edit the affected posts (by removing and re-adding the wrongly expanded words) so word expansion is re-executed on edit.