How to transfer my ips db to a fresh clean setup?

Hello , i would like to transfer my ips to a new server and remove all old ips files.

The main reason is that my files are infected . My current setup has already some Applications/Plugins.

Which are the steps to follow in order to work everything as it should?

5 minutes ago, Maxtor said:

Hello , i would like to transfer my ips to a new server and remove all old ips files.

The main reason is that my files are infected . My current setup has already some Applications/Plugins.

Which are the steps to follow in order to work everything as it should?

If you want to start fresh, without any third party plugins/apps/themes etc, it would be best to uninstall them first. Then install a fresh copy of the Ipb, your version, to the new host and restore the database backup there. 

If you don't uninstall them first, and install a new copy in the new server, then you might get errors due to the callings of third party stuff which result as installed but their files will be missing.

Regarding the move/transfer to a new host process, have a look at this guide. Hope it helps.

3 minutes ago, Miss_B said:

Then install a fresh copy of the Ipb, your version, to the new host and restore the database backup there. 

Do i have to install it as a demo? to a random url? which license do i have to use in order to install a fresh ips?

4 minutes ago, Maxtor said:

Do i have to install it as a demo?

I am not sure I understand what you mean by this.

4 minutes ago, Maxtor said:

to a random url?

A strange question imo. Why a random url? I thought that you wanted to move hosts?

Anyways, the forum files must be uploaded inside the /www/ or public_html/ folder in the new host. The location depends on the forum url. If you want your forum to be at www.yoursite.com, you must upload them in the root of the aforementioned folder(s). If instead, you want your forum url to be www.yoursite.com/forum, you must create a folder called forum and upload your forum files in the root of that folder.

6 minutes ago, Maxtor said:

which license do i have to use in order to install a fresh ips?

If the forum url doesn't change then you can still use the current license I think. 

This makes the assumption your old and new instance of IPB are the same version…

Move all of your existing files from the main location to a new location. 
/var/www/html to /var/www/backup for example (not a real location… just an example that should be modified based on your setup)

Once you’ve done that, put a fresh set of files in /var/www/html

Copy your old conf_global.php over from the backup location. That will provide your database info and bring the site online. You can copy over specific things you need from your uploads folder etc. 

Edited by Randy Calvert

3 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

This makes the assumption your old and new instance of IPB are the same version…

Move all of your existing files from the main location to a new location. 
/var/www/html to /var/www/backup

Once you’ve done that, put a fresh set of files in /var/www/html

Copy your old conf_global.php over from the backup location. That will provide your database info and bring the site online. You can copy over specific things you need from your uploads folder etc. 

problem is entire cpanel is infected, and also im tired of this Login.php every 2 days i replace it. 

Could contain: Text, Word, Page, Number, Symbol, Menu

If it’s being called via a web browser, move the existing files above public_html into /home/username/ such as /home/username/old

Files not in public_html can’t be accessed online. Only via SSH or FTP.  

The other possibility is to just save your conf_global.php and just delete everything else. You’ll lose attachments, avatars, etc…. But you’ll know for sure nothing got carried over. 

OK, so what you could do if you are moving to a new server is this

1. Restore your database on the new server
  2. Upload a fresh set of files from your client area to the new server
  3. Restore your conf_global.php file to the new server and edit the database details (and URL if needed) as appropriate
  4. Upload your uploads folder

Now this assumes that you are uploading a copy of your site with no 3rd party plugins or applications. If you have 3rd party items, you could copy them from your applications folder, and copy your plugins folder. If you have any queries on those above that, you should contact the authors.

It is worth noting, the more you move over above what is absolutely needed (for example you are going to need to move your uploads), the more chance you have of moving something dodgy over with it. So if you have 3rd party items where it makes no difference if you lose the data, I would suggest uninstalling those entirely before you move, then reinstalling them from scratch on the new server.

With regard the license, if you are restoring on the same URL, then there is nothing to change. If you are doing it as a test, change the license key after you have done the move to your usual license key, but with -TESTINSTALL at the end. This will set your test key

Pleaase let us know if you have any further questions on that

On 10/28/2022 at 11:05 AM, Marc Stridgen said:

3. Restore your conf_global.php file to the new server and edit the database details (and URL if needed) as appropriate

Now this assumes that you are uploading a copy of your site with no 3rd party plugins or applications. If you have 3rd party items, you could copy them from your applications folder, and copy your plugins folder. If you have any queries on those above that, you should contact the authors.

It is worth noting, the more you move over above what is absolutely needed (for example you are going to need to move your uploads), the more chance you have of moving something dodgy over with it. So if you have 3rd party items where it makes no difference if you lose the data, I would suggest uninstalling those entirely before you move, then reinstalling them from scratch on the new server.

With regard the license, if you are restoring on the same URL, then there is nothing to change. If you are doing it as a test, change the license key after you have done the move to your usual license key, but with -TESTINSTALL at the end. This will set your test key

lets say that only public_html is infected, and no cpanel or ftp accress are infected. 

if i keep the following:

/uploads (folder)

constants.php

conf_global.php

.htaccess (rewrite URL file)

and then delete all files ( keep database), then unzip the ips zip files that are provided through "client area" , and replace the 3 files i mention, it will work?

also assume that i dont have keep any apps/plugins installed. 

13 minutes ago, Maxtor said:

lets say that only public_html is infected, and no cpanel or ftp accress are infected. 

if i keep the following:

/uploads (folder)

constants.php

conf_global.php

.htaccess (rewrite URL file)

and then delete all files ( keep database), then unzip the ips zip files that are provided through "client area" , and replace the 3 files i mention, it will work?

also assume that i dont have keep any apps/plugins installed. 

If all your uploads/attachments are contained within your "uploads" folder. This would work. Your constants.php and conf_global.php handle specific configurations/constants related to your installation so you may wish to double check that. However, the .htaccess can be replaced with what is in ACP -> System -> Search Engine Optimization (obviously, anything custom in your .htaccess will be removed. which may be a good thing here.)

7 minutes ago, Jim M said:

If all your uploads/attachments are contained within your "uploads" folder. This would work. Your constants.php and conf_global.php handle specific configurations/constants related to your installation so you may wish to double check that. However, the .htaccess can be replaced with what is in ACP -> System -> Search Engine Optimization (obviously, anything custom in your .htaccess will be removed. which may be a good thing here.)

one more question regarding applications and plugins. 

after restoring IPS with the method we mention, if i would like to restore an application or plugin, do i have to install it again? or just replace the folder /applications/app_name  , /plugins/plugin_name  , and will match with installed database info?

9 minutes ago, Maxtor said:

one more question regarding applications and plugins. 

after restoring IPS with the method we mention, if i would like to restore an application or plugin, do i have to install it again? or just replace the folder /applications/app_name  , /plugins/plugin_name  , and will match with installed database info?

It would be advised to uninstall the third party applications/plugins as these could be causing you issues. If you do this, you would need to install fresh.

If you simply remove the files, this would likely cause issues in the software performing itself. However, restoring those files, it would resume per how they were.

5 hours ago, Jim M said:

It would be advised to uninstall the third party applications/plugins as these could be causing you issues. If you do this, you would need to install fresh.

If you simply remove the files, this would likely cause issues in the software performing itself. However, restoring those files, it would resume per how they were.

got HTTP ERROR 500 while trying to uninstall (SD) Live Streams 1.3.7 .

how can i manually remove it entirely?

14 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

That’s a question you’ll need to pose to the resource author as they’re the only one that knows how it is setup, if it’s making database calls (if so, what is done), etc. 

well, spanner (creator of Live Streams) has died at a car accident . now what i do?

Edited by Maxtor

You can TRY simply removing the resource from the applications folder. However there is a chance it causes problems with upgrades, etc as it can still have database modifications.

The safest bet would be to hire an another 3rd party resource developer to assist you.  They can look at the code to see what is going on and the safest way to remove the application  

You can find several at:

https://invisioncommunity.com/third-party/providers/

6 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

You can TRY simply removing the resource from the applications folder. However there is a chance it causes problems with upgrades, etc as it can still have database modifications.

The safest bet would be to hire an another 3rd party resource developer to assist you.  They can look at the code to see what is going on and the safest way to remove the application  

You can find several at:

https://invisioncommunity.com/third-party/providers/

im registered since 2013, its the first time i see this link for providers! hehe thanks 😉

On 10/28/2022 at 11:05 AM, Marc Stridgen said:

im on step 3 , and theme is fully broken. what can i do to restore the default theme so i can view forum propertly?