Trying to upgrade from 4.4.6 but getting 2S119/1 Something went wrong. Please try again

I'm trying to upgrade from an older version 4.4.6.

The website is: https://www.ausdjforums.com/

I can't submit a ticket through the admin panel as it keeps showing a username pw & login request when clicking through, which seems to be an error.

I try to go through the upgrade process and it brings in a weird login request inside the steps. Even when I type in the right credentials I get: 2S119/1 Something went wrong. Please try again. Also 'Sorry you don't have permission for that!'

I disabled 3rd party plugins etc. and get all green ticks but it gets an error then logs me out every time.

I have a paid account and am trying to upgrade. The client area support says I'm not valid for email support?

What am I supposed to do next please.

All support is initiated through the forums here.  There is not email support offered for self-hosted license any longer.  (Staff can move issues to a private email ticket as needed.)

With that being said, the forum account you're posting is not showing as linked to an active customer account.   Your member group is "Members" instead of "Client".  So you might want to check your client area with the same credentials you're using here to make sure your license is current.  Licenses renew every 6 months for support and upgrades.  If you have an active license, a staff member will need to help get your account linked properly.  

I just paid for reactivating the subscription today. Could that just simply be delay?

I only have this one account and my client area says STATUS Active.

How do I flag this with a staff member to make it reflect my paid client status so I can get assistance with this upgrade issue?

Edited by cualupe

It's certainly possible.  There are several cases where payments are held for manual review by the billing team to prevent fraud.  I would wait until later today when that team is back in the office.  If it does not get fixed after they're back at work...  you can submit a request to the billing team using the following form:

https://invisioncommunity.com/contact-us

Just change the department to "Accounts and Billing".  

It looks like my status has just updated to Clients now so it appears to have been some delay.

I just tried to update again and got this:

Sorry, you do not have permission for that!

2S119/1 Something went wrong. Please try again.
Edited by cualupe

1 minute ago, cualupe said:

It looks like my status has just updated to Clients now so it appears to have been some delay.

I just tried to update again and got this:

You might need to update the license status in your ACP as there is a good chance it has not caught up with your recent renewal.  

Try going to ACP > System > Settings > License Key

Click on the "Refresh License Data".  While you're there, make sure the info there matches what is in your Client Area.  

Once you've done, that, try the update again.  Also when you're starting the auto-updater, make sure you providing the username/password of your client area.  The auto-updater validates your client area credentials, not your ACP username/password.  (You're already logged in there.  haha)

If that does not work...  you could always just download the latest IPB files from your client area and upload them to your site.  Then just run domain.com/admin/upgrade.  When you do that...  it will ask for your ACP login!

In the admin panel the license is current and says Renews: April 20, 2023

I've been using the invision login creds but still get the permission error.

I noticed also the login says 'Display name' and not email so I have tried both my display name from clientarea/settings/ and my email. Both give me the same permissions error.

It looks like a member of the IPS staff will need to help out then.  The good news is you can post in the official tech support forum now that you are in the active clients group instead of just the user-to-user help area.  

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/forum/497-help-support/

I reported this topic earlier so the staff see it since many don't patrol this part of the site as closely as the official help forum, but now you can at least post there too! 😄 

I was waiting for my account status to update and couldn't access this area before, you can see a general community thread troubleshooting this issue here:

Essentially, I can't upgrade my forum via the ACP due to an ongoing error saying my credentials are wrong:

Then it logs me out of ACP.

The website is: https://www.ausdjforums.com/

Could I please get some assistance with this? Thanks in advance.

---

Edited by cualupe

1 hour ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Could you please confirm the user you are logged in as? I can then take a look for you

When you say 'user' what exactly are you after? You can see my username here and this is linked to my client area account as I only have the single login. Is this a private thread? I don't want my contact information or email published here where others can read it.

Thanks I have sent you a DM with the requested info.

The user I'm logging in with on the site is the full admin/owner with full privilege. I can get all the way into starting the upgrade before step 2 tells me to login then I attempt, get rejected then logged out of ACP.

Could you please add myself to that or add this in the note section of the Client Area Access Details? Unfortunately, Marc is out today and I will need to continue your support 🙂 .

We will also require valid administrator credentials:

We would need to look further into this for you, however the access details on file appear to be incorrect or missing. Could you please update these details by visiting your client area, selecting the relevant purchase, then clicking "Review/Update Access Information" under the "Stored Access Information" section. 

We look forward to further assisting you. 

Thank you, I was able to login and see what you mean with the extraction of files failing with an error. 

As you are significantly behind in updates, I think upgrading manually may be the best bet here rather than using the automatic upgrader. As mentioned here in this guide, this would entail downloading the files from our Client Area, extracting them to your local computer, and uploading the contents of the "ips_****" folder to your server, overwring what is there. Then you will want to go to {your site's base URL}/admin/upgrade in a browser. 

The automatic upgrader is fantastic for point upgrades but significant gaps in upgrades, like going 4.4 to 4.7 is best to do so manually when you encounter errors like this.

Please let us know how it goes 🙂 .

14 hours ago, Jim M said:

Thank you, I was able to login and see what you mean with the extraction of files failing with an error. 

As you are significantly behind in updates, I think upgrading manually may be the best bet here rather than using the automatic upgrader. As mentioned here in this guide, this would entail downloading the files from our Client Area, extracting them to your local computer, and uploading the contents of the "ips_****" folder to your server, overwring what is there. Then you will want to go to {your site's base URL}/admin/upgrade in a browser. 

The automatic upgrader is fantastic for point upgrades but significant gaps in upgrades, like going 4.4 to 4.7 is best to do so manually when you encounter errors like this.

Please let us know how it goes 🙂 .

Is there anything I have to be aware of as far as content being replaced or broken doing this?

I'm not really confident doing this kind of thing, the original forum was setup for us.

---

Edited by cualupe

2 hours ago, cualupe said:

Is there anything I have to be aware of as far as content being replaced or broken doing this?

I'm not really confident doing this kind of thing, the original forum was setup for us.

Before making any sort of major changes like upgrading 3 major versions...  I would make sure you have a full backup of your site files as well as a backup of your database.  That way if things go horribly wrong, you can restore your backup and undo the action.

Before you do your upgrade, I generally suggest disabling all of your 3rd party resources and switch back to the default theme.  Once the upgrade is complete, re-enable your various resources and if necessary...  upgrade them.  

I would also suggest checking to make sure your site meets the requirements for the new version.  You can find the compatibility checker...  you can find it at:

3 hours ago, Randy Calvert said:

Before making any sort of major changes like upgrading 3 major versions...  I would make sure you have a full backup of your site files as well as a backup of your database.  That way if things go horribly wrong, you can restore your backup and undo the action.

Before you do your upgrade, I generally suggest disabling all of your 3rd party resources and switch back to the default theme.  Once the upgrade is complete, re-enable your various resources and if necessary...  upgrade them.  

I would also suggest checking to make sure your site meets the requirements for the new version.  You can find the compatibility checker...  you can find it at:

Just before I figure out how to start, I wanted to check if the payment for this product doesn't include support to undertake this process?

1 hour ago, cualupe said:

Just before I figure out how to start, I wanted to check if the payment for this product doesn't include support to undertake this process?

Sorry, self hosted is self managed. Uploading files is something you will need to perform as a self hosted license holder. If you require assistance uploading files, reaching out to your hosting provider for assistance is advised.

If you are not comfortable with this process, we do have our Cloud platform where everything is hosted on our infrastructure and you would not need to worry about uploading files. 

8 hours ago, cualupe said:

As Jim mentioned above this is not included in the IPS renewal. Apart from the Cloud option, another option would be to hire someone to do the upgrade for you if you're not comfortable doing it yourself: https://invisioncommunity.com/third-party/providers/

I often get these kind of requests.

4 hours ago, teraßyte said:

As Jim mentioned above this is not included in the IPS renewal. Apart from the Cloud option, another option would be to hire someone to do the upgrade for you if you're not comfortable doing it yourself: https://invisioncommunity.com/third-party/providers/

I often get these kind of requests.

Thanks for the heads up. I barely had enough money to renew IPB so definitely don't have funds to pay someone for this. I'll have to figure it out myself.

Hi @cualupe,

You can use the Community Support and Advanced Self-Hosting Assistance forums for assistance from the community to go through upgrading to the latest version of the software. The community here are a wealth of knowledge and I'm sure someone can guide you along the way. Just remember to always make backups of your community beforehand so as not to lose data or break things you didn't intend on breaking.

As @teraßyte mentioned above, you also have the option to engage someone to upgrade the software for you, but if cost is a factor, the forums above would be your ideal option. There are many clients who have done what you are doing, and provided you have backups, any big issues are reversible.