Doing Test Conversions

4 hours ago, Jim M said:

Have all background tasks completed? There are rebuilds which would process these items.

It is just reindexing the post index now for the search engine, there are no more background tasks related to rebuilding messages or content.

All PM quotes have formatted with "\ said:" for example, and all mentions in messages have the issue posted previously.

Topics do not have this issue.

Edited by The Dark Wizard

As a note, the code for quotes in Conversations is a tiny bit different vs threads in xenforo:

[QUOTE="Name, convMessage: 19831619, member: 93653"]
Test
[/QUOTE]

Thread Quote:

[QUOTE="Name, post: 11394125, member: 9058"]
Text
[/QUOTE]

I also noticed that quoted posts in topics with the correct names, also don't link back to the correct post, but I'm uncertain if that's something that's supposed to convert over. I'll settle for names in quotes and mentions working in PMs.

2 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

It looks like something has not rebuilt properly there. Please let us know if you see this when  you do the live conversion, and we can of course then correct anything like that

We aren’t doing the live conversion before we can take a look at that. I’ll do another test conversion to see if it happens again, pretty sure it happened before but I had more important things to report.

• 2 weeks later...

So happy to report back that apart from what @Daniel F is helping us with, we should be good to go after another test conversion or two.

• Styling is done
  • Features/Third-Party Plugin shopping list is done
  • Staff onboarding is mostly done.

And just about everything else is mostly done, except writing user guides and staff guides, which is going to begin in earnest at the end of the month.

Currently, the timeline will be:

• August - Staff meet up to finalize anything
  • September - User Beta Site
  • October 1 (or first week), the site goes down for the live conversion.

Our excitement is barely containable.

Just now, Jim M said:

Excited Friday GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

We have a decent process to handle things among the staff, but I believe switching to IPS was unanimous.

I assume this still works:

Going to make a couple custom BBCodes we are missing at the end of August before the live conversion.

Any plans to get rid of core/BBCode any time soon?

1 minute ago, The Dark Wizard said:

We have a decent process to handle things among the staff, but I believe switching to IPS was unanimous.

I assume this still works:

Going to make a couple custom BBCodes we are missing at the end of August before the live conversion.

Any plans to get rid of core/BBCode any time soon?

Glad to hear that your staff liked our software and all wanted to switch 🙂 .

BBCode in our software is deprecated and only provided "as-is." There is currently no immediate timeframe to remove it but it is indeed something that is on the way out. If you need custom handling of content in the editor, I would advise using custom buttons instead.

2 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

It's already deprecated, to be removed in a future release.

That was deprecated in 2017, though, and the guide is still up. We can use it now, to at-least get formatting done for the conversion and eventually switch over to CKEditor Plugins and Web Components.

1 minute ago, Jim M said:

Glad to hear that your staff liked our software and all wanted to switch 🙂 .

BBCode in our software is deprecated and only provided "as-is." There is currently no immediate timeframe to remove it but it is indeed something that is on the way out. If you need custom handling of content in the editor, I would advise using custom buttons instead.

Out of curosity, if we design a full-fledged CKEditor Plugin, is that something we can use, or are we limited to just buttons?

6 minutes ago, The Dark Wizard said:

Out of curosity, if we design a full-fledged CKEditor Plugin, is that something we can use, or are we limited to just buttons?

Correct. Normal CKEditor plugins will work so long as they are compatible with the version of CKEditor in the software. Therefore, if you develop your own, it will work just fine.

1 minute ago, Jim M said:

Correct. Normal CKEditor plugins will work so long as they are compatible with the version of CKEditor in the software. Therefore, if you develop your own, it will work just fine.

Would you happen to know if we design our custom plugin and install it before the conversion, if that would correctly format older posts or is that what we’d need core/BBcode for?

1 minute ago, The Dark Wizard said:

Would you happen to know if we design our custom plugin and install it before the conversion, if that would correctly format older posts or is that what we’d need core/BBcode for?

I am not a developer but CKEditor is not ran when performing a rebuild of content in the conversions. A CKEditor plugin would require to be ran in the editor real-time (i.e. someone clicks a button or performs an action) to influence content. This would require customization in our software to execute certain code when rebuilding is initiated in our software, which is outside our scope of support.

Just now, Jim M said:

I am not a developer but CKEditor is not ran when performing a rebuild of content in the conversions. A CKEditor plugin would require to be ran in the editor real-time (i.e. someone clicks a button or performs an action) to influence content. This would require customization in our software to execute certain code when rebuilding is initiated in our software, which is outside our scope of support.

Then what we can do is utilize core/BBCode which, I believe, is indeed run for the rebuilding of content and then migrate to a full CKEditor plugin in the short future.

3 minutes ago, The Dark Wizard said:

Then what we can do is utilize core/BBCode which, I believe, is indeed run for the rebuilding of content and then migrate to a full CKEditor plugin in the short future.

Yes, you would need to hook into our content conversion functions to apply your own during this process.