CANNOT_MAKE_DIR /public_html/uploads/set_resources

Go to solution Solved by Daniel F,

You need to give your uploads folder and all files under it read/write permissions.  Something like "chmod -R 777 /kunden/home/forumdrone/public_html/uploads/".  That should set permission on the uploads folder and recursively all files/folders under it.  You might need 755 instead of 755 depending on your host setup.  

If you're having problems with the set_resources folder, you'll most likely also have problems with other folders under it as well when you upload attachments, or edit themes, etc.  

Edited by Randy Calvert

The transfer changed a lot of permissions ?? do you know how to reset all permissions automatically?

Thank you for your help

PS\File\Exception: CANNOT_MAKE_DIR (6)
#0 /home/forumdrone/public_html/system/File/FileSystem.php(306): IPS\File\_FileSystem->getFolder()
#1 /home/forumdrone/public_html/system/File/File.php(320): IPS\File\_FileSystem->save()
#2 /home/forumdrone/public_html/system/Theme/Theme.php(5116): IPS\_File::create('core_Theme', 'f3d61c0ab17a1b8...', ' @media screen ...', 'css_built_1')
#3 /home/forumdrone/public_html/system/Theme/Theme.php(2488): IPS\_Theme::writeCss(Array)
#4 /home/forumdrone/public_html/system/Theme/Theme.php(608): IPS\_Theme->compileCss('core', 'admin', 'responsive', 'responsive.css')
#5 /home/forumdrone/public_html/system/Dispatcher/Admin.php(101): IPS\_Theme->css('responsive.css', 'core', 'admin')
#6 /home/forumdrone/public_html/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(109): IPS\Dispatcher\_Admin->init()
#7 /home/forumdrone/public_html/admin/index.php(14): IPS\_Dispatcher::i()
#8 {main}

Edited by CiberBob

1 hour ago, CiberBob said:

The transfer changed a lot of permissions do you know how to reset all permissions automatically?

Thank you for your help

There is no way in which to reset permissions on your server through the software. That is a server related item, you would need to ask your hosting company about

Hello

OK so his errors are because of a server setting it's not because of a permission (077....) setting on ftp files? Or some other problem with the script?

My web host is looking but cannot find it at the moment. So I really wanted to be sure;)

thank you so much

3 minutes ago, CiberBob said:

Hello

OK so his errors are because of a server setting it's not because of a permission (077....) setting on ftp files? Or some other problem with the script?

My web host is looking but cannot find it at the moment. So I really wanted to be sure;)

thank you so much

Generally it would be 777 for all folders in uploads (including the folder itself) unless you are using suPHP suExec. In that case it would be 755.

I made the change, always the errors:

IPS\File\Exception: CANNOT_MAKE_DIR (6)
#0 /home/forumdrone/public_html/system/File/FileSystem.php(306): IPS\File\_FileSystem->getFolder()
#1 /home/forumdrone/public_html/system/File/File.php(320): IPS\File\_FileSystem->save()
#2 /home/forumdrone/public_html/system/Theme/Theme.php(5116): IPS\_File::create('core_Theme', '62e269ced0fdab7...', ' .cForumList .i...', 'css_built_1')
#3 /home/forumdrone/public_html/system/Theme/Theme.php(2475): IPS\_Theme::writeCss(Array)
#4 /home/forumdrone/public_html/system/Theme/Theme.php(608): IPS\_Theme->compileCss('forums', 'front', '.', 'forums.css')
#5 /home/forumdrone/public_html/system/Dispatcher/Standard.php(260): IPS\_Theme->css('forums.css', 'forums', 'front')
#6 /home/forumdrone/public_html/system/Dispatcher/Front.php(102): IPS\Dispatcher\_Standard->init()
#7 /home/forumdrone/public_html/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(109): IPS\Dispatcher\_Front->init()
#8 /home/forumdrone/public_html/index.php(13): IPS\_Dispatcher::i()
#9 {main}

+ problems with the original theme: https://forumdrone.fr/ 

thank you so much

Edited by CiberBob

40 minutes ago, CiberBob said:

So we are sure that this comes from the server configuration on cPanel @Marc Stridgen?

Does anyone here know how to proceed please?

Thank you so much 😉

Yes, this is from server permissions. You will want to reach out to your hosting provider to ensure the proper permissions are set on your folders/files and owned by the proper user/group for your server. Only they will be able to assist you with this.

The ask you might need to make to your hosting provider is "can you make the /public_html/uploads folder AND all items under it have 777 permissions?".  That 777 might need to be 755 if they're running suExec as Marc noted.  

If you have SSH access, you can also do this via SSH with the command I gave in my first post.  (Just make sure the exact path is correct as I was trying to read really small letters and I did not have my glasses on.)

For the moment my host cannot find the problem ...

I have another forum host on the same server which is working fine; ( I do not understand

So we have already done it and that does not solve the problem there are always errors in addition to having also:

[[Template core/front/global/mobileNavigation is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Thanks a lot for your help 😪

Edited by CiberBob

The base problem appears to be that your server is not allowing the software to create files/folders. Note the error:

IPS\File\Exception: CANNOT_MAKE_DIR (6)

You need to confer with your Host to both address that error, and also what permissions should be used for the files and folders in your webspace. Normally, folders are set to 0755 and files to 0644.

(One other issue is that you are using an old version, 4.4.x, and need to upgrade. There have been hundreds of bug fixes since that version was released.)

If that does not help, please let us know.

Hello,

Thank you for your help the host has changed all the file and folder permissions still the same error he answers:

« 

Using the debugger of my WEB browser, the error below is displayed:

(index): 4629 Uncaught ReferenceError: ips is not defined
 at (index): 4629
 (anonymous) @ (index): 4629

»

Thank you for your help

Your hosting company will see that error, as the items its looking for have not been written to disk. The reason its not been written to disk is a writing issue on the server. As a courtesy I have created a ticket to see if someone can provide you with a little more information there to give to your host, however this is unfortuanetly a hosting issue, not one with your software

Hello,

Oh great a big thank you to you @Daniel F you saved me 🥰

Yes I bought a license three days ago to be able to update the forum with the latest version.

Good ... Now that everything is working I'm afraid to start the update. 😥 I'm afraid of breaking everything again ... Because this is a big update!

Can you update for me please? I can pay for the mission without any problem 😉

Thanks a lot for your help.

4 minutes ago, CiberBob said:

Hello,

Oh great a big thank you to you @Daniel F you saved me 🥰

Yes I bought a license three days ago to be able to update the forum with the latest version.

Good ... Now that everything is working I'm afraid to start the update. 😥 I'm afraid of breaking everything again ... Because this is a big update!

Can you update for me please? I can pay for the mission without any problem 😉

Thanks a lot for your help.

If you can submit a ticket to our sales team, we 'may' be able to quote for that

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/9/2021 at 10:27 AM, Daniel F said:

I have fixed this for you:) 

This was caused by a very old bug which was fixed in the meanwhile, but unfortunatly you were still affected by this because you were still running 4.4.x !

Hi,

What exatly was the problem or this "old bug"? I would like to transfer a forum to a new hosting provlder. When i copy all the files, import the database, alter the permisssions, settings, paths, etc... i have a simmilar problem. I'm running the latest version (4.6.9). The forum runs, but there are errors like describd here (CANNOT_MAKE_DIR,... ).

I found this post searching the web for my problem... 

br

Thomas

Edited by ThomasSLO