Hump Day: Facebook name-change may be on the horizon

hdbn.png

Happy Hump Day, team. I wanted to kick off today's hump day post with a bit of news. Curious to know your thoughts.

TL;DR: Facebook may re-brand.

Facebook is, and has been, under intense scrutiny.

They are considering a name-change, The Verge reports. It's rumored the re-branding encompasses Facebook's 'metaverse,' a mission to combine virtual and augmented reality technologies into one unified online world. 

The metaverse is “going to be a big focus, and I think that this is just going to be a big part of the next chapter for the way that the internet evolves after the mobile internet,” Zuckerberg said this summer. “And I think it’s going to be the next big chapter for our company too, really doubling down in this area.”

It is believed Facebook will hire 10,000 new employees for this endeavor. 

We might know more information on the new name come Oct. 28 – the date of Facebook's annual Connect conference – CEO Mark Zuckerberg is expected to speak. 

The rumored name is 'Horizon.'

Horizon is "the name of the still-unreleased VR version of Facebook-meets-Roblox" company currently under development. A Facebook spokesperson said they won't comment on speculation.

Facebook wants to restore faith with the public, which has steadily declined in recent years. They hope a new look and feel will help. 

Earlier this month, Frances Haugen, who formerly worked at Facebook as a product manager, testified before congress claiming Facebook was fully aware its platform was used to spread hate and misinformation, yet did nothing to prevent it.

Others believe Facebook intentionally chose profit over others' health and well-being.

---

Invision Community has undergone a few evolutions over the years, but never as a response to controversy. 

This a powerful lesson regarding the dire need for hands-on leadership in a community (and the need for communities in general). It's my opinion Facebook became too gargantuan too quickly; it couldn't properly scale while also keeping its integrity. 

What do you think of the big news? Sound off in the comments below.

OH, but before you do... if you haven't already, please give @Matt's new blog about SEO improvements a read; it's incredible 4.6.8 news!

And of course, here are a list of updates/changes from the developers: 

- Fixed the ACP-Follower Statistics Page which was returning an IN_DEV error if no followed content was present.

- The ACP Member Profile Template will remove the left column if there are blocks to show.

- Fixed orphan language phrases when deleting databases and custom fields.

- Fixed a PHP 8 type error when upgrading between Commerce packages.

- Fixed an issue with Activity Streams where the results may be incomplete when the 'Content I posted in' filter is used.

- Fixed an issue where tag filtered content feeds would show incorrect results where a tag forms part of another tag.

- Added some missing VAT territories to checkout form.

- Fixed an issue where PNG images could not be resized in the browser when using Firefox.

- Fixed an issue where adding a hook to the topic sidebar would shift the sidebar to underneath the topic.

- Fixed an issue where adding a hook can cause CSS selectors with a colon (eg: ipsFlex:4) to be broken (eg: ipsFlex---cln---4)

- The ACP Member Profile Template will remove the left column if there are no blocks to show.

- Fixed an issue specific to Cloud where creating a ticket from the contact form may not work.

- Added the option to compare with a theme's parent when editing templates.

- Fixed an issue where purchases and subscriptions could move members to not existing groups.

- Fixed an issue where achievements rewards were not given when a comment is approved for the first time.

- Fixed an issue where Admin CP downloads (themes, etc) would download an 'admin.html' file when using Safari.

- Fixed an issue where the "participated in topic" icon was incorrectly positioned on small devices when both Fluid Forum View and Expanded Topic List View were both enabled.

- Fixed an instance of invalid HTML with member badges in Expanded Topic List View, where a ul was a direct child of another ul.

- Member badges and topic stats on Expanded Topic List View pages now wrap correctly on small mobiles.

- Fixed an issue where a business name form field would show during checkout when consumer was selected.

- Fixed an issue where deleting a custom template would remove it from all themes.

- Fixed an caching issue in `\IPS\Content\Statistics`.

- Fixed an issue that can occur when sending a push notification for reviews needing approval.

- Fixed an issue with PHP8 when checking profanity filters.

- Fixed an issue where invoice warning emails may say the customer has an active PayPal Subscription when it has been cancelled.

- Added a robots.txt generator, removed content redirect links for guests and added nofollow directives.

- Cleaned up some defunct code relating to AdminCP default theme settings.

- Fixed an issue in the search/filters template which would result in an error with IN_DEV being enabled.

- Added AggregateRating Schema to record pages.

- Fixed potential issue where duplicate notifications/digests are sent.

Looking forward to hearing what you think.

• Management

This is similar to when Google created Alphabet to enable them to expand into other markets. Clearly Facebook understand that it is past its peak and can now only decline so it makes sense for them to look at where they can go next.

I'm not overly keen on living in a Facebook universe though.

6 hours ago, Matt said:

This is similar to when Google created Alphabet to enable them to expand into other markets. Clearly Facebook understand that it is past its peak and can now only decline so it makes sense for them to look at where they can go next.

Nailed it! Snapchat also did something similar. rebranding to Snap Inc. 

Hopefully Horizon has a different outlook on how to function, cause otherwise slapping a new name on things won't change the culture. 

6 hours ago, Matt said:

That would be a literal dystopian future.

I would certainly welcome a regulation of its activities and a reduction of its influence. I'm really not up for giving Facebook more control or influence over my life.

2 minutes ago, Hexsplosions said:

That would be a literal dystopian future.

I would certainly welcome a regulation of its activities and a reduction of its influence. I'm really not up for giving Facebook more control or influence over my life.

Lol right? 

One thing to consider though is how this will affect FB moving forward in relation to businesses.

My own community has a pretty large reach on Facebook. In the last month alone my site's posts reached more than 7 million people. I would hate to lose that influence because FB couldn't get their act together lol. 

21 hours ago, Jordan Miller said:

Lol right? 

One thing to consider though is how this will affect FB moving forward in relation to businesses.

My own community has a pretty large reach on Facebook. In the last month alone my site's posts reached more than 7 million people. I would hate to lose that influence because FB couldn't get their act together lol. 

Facebook isn't going anywhere in the short term. Horizon or whatever, will be the parent company. Facebook will just be one of the app/sub-companies. Its a bunch of nothing news for the general user and more for zukerberg and team to untie all that is tied to facebook. This way you can shut that down if needed and/or still operate the other companies/profit centers independently of one another under a new parent company name.  The writing is on the wall for facebook, younger generations want nothing to do with it. Add to that all the controversy, this is the smartest thing they can do to separate their businesses.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I agree. My eldest son is 13 and he doesn't want anything to do with it. It probably has less than a decade left in its current form.

My eldest is 23 and uses it rarely. my 19 yr old has an account, but cant remember the last time I saw him on it. I think its decline in new generation users has been going on for quite some time.

1 hour ago, AlexWebsites said:

The writing is on the wall for facebook, younger generations want nothing to do with it. Add to that all the controversy, this is the smartest thing they can do to separate their businesses.

Lol digging the pun.

Yea younger people think Facebook is for dinosaurs. 😩 Millennials have found reprieve on Instagram and Gen Z calls TikTok home. 

Has anyone heard from SnapChat? Someone may want to check on her. 

45 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

I remember when generations didnt have a name LOL

I agree,

Much like old folks' homes and nursing homes of the past are now called retirement communities and villages.
Either way they are places for our kids to dump us so they don't have to have their lives disrupted.

I guess my generation was the last of taking care of our parents because of who they are and not what they are.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I agree. My eldest son is 13 and he doesn't want anything to do with it. It probably has less than a decade left in its current form.

Same. My eldest daughter is 13 and its TikTok, Snapchat or bust. Oh yeah, Roblox is huge with her and my 7 year old. These kids connect in the virtual world rather than go outside. If I mention Facebook, she says call Grandma, says its for old people. I only use facebook for business not personal. 

• Management
On 10/22/2021 at 6:48 PM, AlexWebsites said:

Same. My eldest daughter is 13 and its TikTok, Snapchat or bust. Oh yeah, Roblox is huge with her and my 7 year old. These kids connect in the virtual world rather than go outside. If I mention Facebook, she says call Grandma, says its for old people. I only use facebook for business not personal. 

Same as my 13 year old. He thinks of Facebook as some ancient relic washed up on the shore. He is either in Playstation Chat, TikTok or WhatsApp.

53 minutes ago, Daniel F said:

Meta GIF

Haha. 

For those wondering... from The Verge:

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg announced Thursday at the company’s Connect event that the company’s new name will be Meta. “We are a company that builds technology to connect,” Zuckerberg said. “Together, we can finally put people at the center of our technology. And together, we can unlock a massively bigger creator economy.”

“To reflect who we are and what we hope to build,” he added. He said the name Facebook doesn’t fully encompass everything the company does now, and is still closely linked to one product. “But over time, I hope we are seen as a metaverse company.”