Favicon is using wrong image

I have uploaded a favicon and application icon, which are slightly different images. When I have an application icon uploaded, all browsers use that as the favicon instead of the actual favicon. If I remove it, the favicon will work perfectly fine. Why is that? The normal one will show in the AdminCP but not the forum itself, like below. I want to use both but not if it doesn't work properly.

spacer.png

5 hours ago, Gabriel Torres said:

@CircaCitadel Have you tried clearing the brower's cache? It is probably loading the old version from its cache. Also, try loading the website on another computer to see what happens. If you use CDN (CloudFlare), also try purging its cache.

Yep, tried all of those. They were images I uploaded at the same time, so it was replacing the old one just fine. It just seems to be prioritizing the application icon over the favicon.

• 1 month later...

Did you got that resolved eventually?

I am currently investigating this myself. I feel like it’s the browsers which choose to go with the link rel="icon" generated from the application icon rather than the Favicon, even if the latter defined in the code and placed in the root directory. 

Edited by opentype

Sure, but even then it’s also connected to IPS’ implementation. I upload an “application icon”, which is fine for this very purpose, but this is also downscaled and suggested as generic image. But that image might not work at all at tiny sizes. At least in this case, it would be necessary to force a dedicated small image. And in fact, that’s what happening for the ACP where you don’t output the full line of images. 

882400251_Bildschirmfoto2021-09-01um09_18_46.thumb.png.a064ea14bcd61cded3350a405904d949.png

In other words: the problem is that the application icon is not just suggested as application icon in the generated code.  
If I remove the application icon, I get the desired result for the favicons, but then I do not have an application icon for when the website is saved to the homescreen. 

Elon Musk Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Edited by opentype