What're minimum server requirements for 4.6 ?

Go to solution Solved by SeNioR-,

• 1 year later...
  • Invision Community v4.7.4

How about the maximum version of MySQL that is compatible?

5.6 is somewhat (not ancient) but relatively older.   We'd like to spruce up the DB and get the most whistles and bells without breaking the IPS software.   How far can we take the version of MySQL ?

Thanks.

3 hours ago, sibomots said:
  • Invision Community v4.7.4

How about the maximum version of MySQL that is compatible?

5.6 is somewhat (not ancient) but relatively older.   We'd like to spruce up the DB and get the most whistles and bells without breaking the IPS software.   How far can we take the version of MySQL ?

Thanks.

I remember reading people having issues with MYSQL 8.0 so up to 5.7 you should be safe.

(As for MariaDB, if anyone is interested, I've seen people using even 10.9 without issues.)

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2022 at 1:54 AM, Marc Stridgen said:

You should be able to use the latest mysql supported release. 

I respectfully disagree that MySQL 8.0 is a viable path.   We saw issues crop up during installation.  SQL was failing during installation and regretfully (since it happened in May-2022) I have since forgot the actual error.   Test it out on your BETA license key if you're that interested in knowing what will happen.

What version of MySQL is this (right here) site using?

dpkg --list | grep -i mysql

Thanks.

Also, another word of caution.  The IPS software install doesn't quite ensure that your row format is dynamic.  After all the installation is creating the tables, yet it created them in COMPACT row format vs DYNAMIC.  That's a technical debt to have to deal with down the line.   For admins upgrading, ensure you're table/row formats are DYNAMIC.

The ACP will alert you to this under the Support section, but if you want to dig into it (where your Instance of IPS Database Name is DB_NAME (replace as appropriate)

SELECT  table_name
FROM    information_schema.tables
WHERE   table_schema = 'DB_NAME'  AND `ROW_FORMAT` <> 'DYNAMIC'
ORDER BY table_name DESC

The results should be zero rows if tables are created correctly.   If after installing or after upgrading you have tables that are not DYNAMIC, you'll eventually have to deal with that conversion later.  So far IPS hasn't drawn a line in the sand on enforcing it.  When they do, it'll mean a significant down-time to convert the tables.

Edited by sibomots

The software itself does not state what type of row format to use for the creation of tables. This is something that should be taken care of by your mysql provider. We recommend dynamic of course, and the support area of the ACP will actually warn you if they are set otherwise. There is no need to check from mysql directly if its not coming up there

With regard mysql version, if you are seeing issues with the latest mysql release, please feel free to report those as bugs. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2022 at 2:46 PM, Marc Stridgen said:

The software itself does not state what type of row format to use for the creation of tables. This is something that should be taken care of by your mysql provider. We recommend dynamic of course, and the support area of the ACP will actually warn you if they are set otherwise. There is no need to check from mysql directly if its not coming up there

With regard mysql version, if you are seeing issues with the latest mysql release, please feel free to report those as bugs. 

Setup/Upgrade.php, line 139  

Checks if the row format is suitable and if not, warn.

We never got the warning.

In terms of support, it's a little late for that.  I asked repeatedly for support and was rebuffed because IPS wouldn't quite take us very seriously.  IPS gave the excuse that since our DATA was legacy but the SOFTWARE was new, we wouldn't qualify for support.

It doesn't matter.   We'll have to perform some down-time to repair the tech-debt accumulated.

45 minutes ago, sibomots said:

Setup/Upgrade.php, line 139  

Checks if the row format is suitable and if not, warn.

We never got the warning.

In terms of support, it's a little late for that.  I asked repeatedly for support and was rebuffed because IPS wouldn't quite take us very seriously.  IPS gave the excuse that since our DATA was legacy but the SOFTWARE was new, we wouldn't qualify for support.

It doesn't matter.   We'll have to perform some down-time to repair the tech-debt accumulated.

That line would only display the warning if you are using InnoDB. If your database is using MyISAM, this would be skipped just due to the nature of how those engines function and our recommendations.

SHOW TABLE STATUS WHERE Engine='InnoDB' AND Row_format='Compact'

Please keep in mind though that changing both the table engine and row format falls on the server administrator. As a software vendor, we can only make recommendations here to how our software should best function. If these row formats and table engines are not your default in MySQL, I would recommend setting them also.

If you have made these changes to MySQL and our system still creates tables outside of this configuration, it is something we need to look at.