4.5 and Video Attachments

KT Walrus

I keep checking this site for a blog post that describes first class support for video attachments in 4.5...

I hope 4.5 does indeed add much better support for uploading and attaching videos to posts.

Video hosting is very easy these days with cheap video streaming services like Cloudflare Stream. 

1485566084_CloudflareStream.thumb.png.b01669b1aca28dec4d2695ce7439888c.png

In addition to video hosting, I hope 4.5 comes with a better uploader for videos. The current uploader is miserable for uploading large files like videos. Fortunately, there is a very good open source uploader called Uppy that handles uploading both large and small files (and was created especially for uploading videos).

Uppy.png.85c8a21d3e31f18d703cf9b5d6466fb9.png

Finally, Cloudflare Stream requires tus to upload videos to Cloudflare and Uppy was created by the same company that created the tus protocol.

tus.thumb.png.1b91b9b97a1fbaf5e91428074c2b7f54.png

Edited by KT Walrus

Would be nice to have better video upload ability for users and automatic conversion and such. Back in the day I used to used FFMPEG but it was never as good as the mainstream video platforms and people nowadays default to uploading to youtube and other "large" platforms. I would be interested in cloudflare streaming even if it was a third party app for a video gallery. I'd like to see something like where if a user posts a video to a topic or other area, it embeds it within the post/comment, but lives in the gallery or a video section and not as an attachment. Even for images that get attached, something during the upload process to also add it to gallery at the same time.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Interferon said:

We also have a big problem with video embeds that later become removed videos. Would prefer to host the data ourselves. It's not 2001, video should not be this difficult.

Just a thought, if some of those cases are copyright etc related if you host it yourself you will have to deal with those sorts of legal demands.

33 minutes ago, sudo said:

Just a thought, if some of those cases are copyright etc related if you host it yourself you will have to deal with those sorts of legal demands.

It usually occurs because the author deletes their video years later. I don't mind if they delete the video on our site, but having a bad embed link sucks.

I was so disappointed to see 4.5 seems to have no video improvements at all. I appreciate there's only so many things that can be prioritised, but I just feel like video content is so fundamental now, and yet video support still feels so far behind with ips.

I mean the gallery feature literally still calls a video an 'image'. Would love to see some kind of video encoding, ability to generate thumbnails, and a custom/standard video player etc. Would totally transform the gallery (and forum) experience.  

• 6 months later...
On 5/5/2020 at 8:50 PM, theipsguy said:

I was so disappointed to see 4.5 seems to have no video improvements at all. I appreciate there's only so many things that can be prioritised, but I just feel like video content is so fundamental now, and yet video support still feels so far behind with ips.

Video is now a must for many communities. We really need better video features. There is also this Amazon service to process video files:

https://aws.amazon.com/elastictranscoder/

So it is now possible to have better video on the communities with low cost.

• 1 month later...

Nearly a year on and worryingly I don't think there has been any update in terms of video support.

I understand Invision is primarily a forum and not a video CMS, but video content is something that I am sure is important to most modern online communities, so I would love to see some steps to update the handling of videos within the gallery. Lots of great suggestions within this thread already. 

• 10 months later...